Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 TV Coverage

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Is there a tangible benefit for Sky though? If there was I'm sure they'd have bought into the idea before but, as somebody alluded to above, they don't seem to be struggling for Irish subscriptions anyway and adding a product that relatively few Irish eyes are interested in already won't necessarily impact their bottom line significantly. Like I'm sure it would attract a niche audience but I'm not sure Sky are overly committed to niche markets. And for what? Two months a year? In the years without World Cups or European Championships? Like they'd have no real justification to show a Dublin derby instead of the Dundee derby, let alone a bigger game once August rolled around again.

Apologies if I sound needlessly negative too, it would be lovely obviously from our point of view, I just don't see what makes it an especially attractive sell to a UK broadcaster. They could probably secure Norwegian or even Chinese games if they really wanted a short-term, summer alternative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Naw its not negative, pragmatic. Sky have moved so much of their coverage to specific channels rather than the general Sky Sports. Its as much wishful thinking for me. I think there is a niche as a filler as there would be for any sports channel but whether its worth it or not - RTE would say no. I do think it could be done at minimal cost, dont RTE use third party companies to do the leg work? I dont thin it'd be a major payday for the league but if it was spun well by an FAI marketing team with a carrot or 2 ye never know. If there is a UK/international market it is tied to betting trends which is controversial. Anecdotally my personal experience is that fans in England would be more inclined to have an interest in LoI than highlights of the A League or whatever is now on rinse and repeat ad nauseum, maybe even the Champions League magazine shows over and over. How to back that up?

Wasnt there are plan years ago for Sky to cover LoI. I vaguely remember 'sky sports loans' being issued to upgrade floodlights. But that could have been part of an international/FAI deal that may even have been a sweetener for Sky not covering the league or backing out of a deal?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 28/02/2022 at 5:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Sky show Irish League games. Maybe they deem that as adequate within the budget.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I think, open to correction though, that the "Sky Sports money" for lights was to do with the increased number of PL games they'd be showing live on TV which it was felt would detract from LOI attendances. Not quite sure why they agreed to pay it or whether someone made them.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I think, open to correction though, that the "Sky Sports money" for lights was to do with the increased number of PL games they'd be showing live on TV which it was felt would detract from LOI attendances. Not quite sure why they agreed to pay it or whether someone made them.
    It was a deal done at the time with either the FAI or the government (can't recall which one).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    No reason the FAI couldn't tie in a handful of league games into any international rights deal that Sky have.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    With the demise of EIR Sports and their excellent coverage, we really do need another player in the market to look at showing games. Relying on RTÉ seriously limits the amount of Live Games per season and any additional exposure the league gets from these matches being shown on TV. The Sky thing has always baffled me alright. Not much on in the Summer months football wise. Even a small number of games per season ala the Irish Leage would be a positive.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlay Harp View Post
    Sky show Irish League games. Maybe they deem that as adequate within the budget.
    They're contractually obliged to do so though, as part of the NI international rights

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    With the demise of EIR Sports and their excellent coverage, we really do need another player in the market to look at showing games. Relying on RTÉ seriously limits the amount of Live Games per season and any additional exposure the league gets from these matches being shown on TV. The Sky thing has always baffled me alright. Not much on in the Summer months football wise. Even a small number of games per season ala the Irish Leage would be a positive.
    Bring back Sacar Beo !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Derry v Shamrock Rovers - Sun 18th Sept FAI Cup 5pm

Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne - Sun 9th Oct 5pm

Is there a full list of the games shown on TV this year anywhere?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Derry v Shamrock Rovers - Sun 18th Sept FAI Cup 5pm
    Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne - Sun 9th Oct 5pm
    Is there a full list of the games shown on TV this year anywhere?

Virgin Media
    Thursday 8th September, 8pm
    UEFA Europa Conference League Group F
    Shamrock Rovers v Djurgarden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12