Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Belgium - Saturday, 26th March 2022 - Friendly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Also there is a lot people on the forum who owe Martin o Neill an apology.
    I'm sure we now all agree that he too was blameless "when there was some confusion" before obefemi made his debut v Denmark

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Joking aside… it’s obvious that the beef between SK and Obafemi is real and it’s likely that the ill feeling is with the latter. The likely reason being he was dropped from the senior squad by SK back when. While that’s speculation (hopefully SK will confirm or clarify the situation), I think it is the most likely scenario. And, provided SK had the chats with him, I don’t think any fault lies with him. Players get dropped, that’s football. They should be men enough, for the most part, to not take it personally and if called on again you’d hope that they’d jump at the chance. All round, Obafemi seems to be a certain type of personality. SK doesnt appear to be the first manager he’s beefed with.
    I will just requote myself here.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I will just requote myself here.
    ...Called it...
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I was fuming when I seen squad first. Connolly and Obafemi both should have been in I thought. Both reasons for being left out seem completely reasonable. Kenny has said that Obafemi is committed to us and Obafemis reason for not wanting to play just now are also fair enough I think. To say that hes turned down his country and should never be called up against is BS of the highest order.

When I seen the Birmingham vs Boro game during the week I was very impressed with Connolly and I thought that the difference between him and Hogan was stark. Its disappointing that he is also carrying an injury. I dont like Hogan at all, think hes another version of James Collins. Yet there were people hammering Kenny for not picking him up to very recently. He also supposedly "turned down his country" in the past. If he plays I want him to do well and I'll cheer him on.

Midfield still a bit of a concern. I like McGrath, Id have had him ahead of Browne even if hes not playing much at the moment but I couldnt make a strong argument for that either.

Overall its a pretty good squad with some very decent players to come back in after injury for the summer hopefully

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I was fuming when I seen squad first. Connolly and Obafemi both should have been in I thought. Both reasons for being left out seem completely reasonable. Kenny has said that Obafemi is committed to us and Obafemis reason for not wanting to play just now are also fair enough I think. To say that hes turned down his country and should never be called up against is BS of the highest order.

When I seen the Birmingham vs Boro game during the week I was very impressed with Connolly and I thought that the difference between him and Hogan was stark. Its disappointing that he is also carrying an injury. I dont like Hogan at all, think hes another version of James Collins. Yet there were people hammering Kenny for not picking him up to very recently. He also supposedly "turned down his country" in the past. If he plays I want him to do well and I'll cheer him on.

Midfield still a bit of a concern. I like McGrath, Id have had him ahead of Browne even if hes not playing much at the moment but I couldnt make a strong argument for that either.

Overall its a pretty good squad with some very decent players to come back in after injury for the summer hopefully
    Sorry explain why is it BS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Sorry explain why is it BS?
    Because as Kenny clearly explained, the lad has never played 3 games in a row in his entire career. He is minding the hamstring for now to see if he can build a long term career for himself..... why should that lead to calls for him never to be called up again

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Because as Kenny clearly explained, the lad has never played 3 games in a row in his entire career. He is minding the hamstring for now to see if he can build a long term career for himself..... why should that lead to calls for him never to be called up again
    I'm of a view he will play tomorrow for Swansea and I dont want to he obvious but he is fit and players can't decide when it's suits them to turn up for their country. We can't rely on lads like this. How do you plan a formation or a team line up when a player decides his own availability.

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Stuff like this doesn't really help things. Obafemi has played three consecutive games. He's played the last 12 Swansea games in fact (with allowances for me missing something!)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Stuff like this doesn't really help things. Obafemi has played three consecutive games. He's played the last 12 Swansea games in fact (with allowances for me missing something!)
    Think what he said was three consecutive games before his time with Swansea, but he has featured in three consecutive games for Southampton in the 19/20 season. Didn't start three consecutive but did feature in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Doesn't really make sense to exclude the Swansea games though.

"He'd never played three games in a row before he played three games in a row"

Maybe we can chalk it down to Kenny not being great at the media stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I dunno, it's looks like I'm in the minority here where I don't think it's a big deal that a lad is managing a previously troublesome issue. If he's in communication with the manager and everyone is on same page then l think it's fine.

Too many people are too interested in always looking for something to be outraged about and comments like he should never be called up again to me are nonsense

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think it's reasonable to ask why the excuse Kenny gives isn't really true though

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Before the last month isn't it true we all thought he had constant injury and attitude issues? It's not a stretch for Kenny to say that he hasn't played consistently. Fair play to the internet warriors who catch Kenny out by proving that Obafemi has maybe done it once or twice in his career

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Seems like everything went to his head a bit when he got capped at 18 to secure his allegiance after the Declan Rice saga. Maybe he assumed that meant he was a senior for good.. Combining this snub with his refusal to play for the 21s throughout his barren spell certainly doesn't affirm his commitment to Ireland. But he's young. Plenty of time for him to mature.

I wouldn't read too much into Kenny's comments other than that he was trying to cover for the lad in the hopes things can be patched up. He played for Swansea this week and we are playing friendlies where his minutes could have been managed. He's not exactly an aging talismanic striker heading in to games we desperately need him with his club career hanging in the balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Before the last month isn't it true we all thought he had constant injury and attitude issues? It's not a stretch for Kenny to say that he hasn't played consistently. Fair play to the internet warriors who catch Kenny out by proving that Obafemi has maybe done it once or twice in his career
    Ah he didn't say he hadn't played consistently.

Not everyone with a different view to you is an internet warrior like

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    It kinda suggests that International football might be a bit of a stretch for the lad. Perhaps he should retire from international football on fitness / minding himself grounds. Some fellas bodies are just not up to that much football. Thanks and all the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Kenny's exact words were, Michael has never played 3 consecutive games in his career before this year... then says I think that's true, might need to check that.

So what if he was wrong cos it's happened once or twice. Has the lad ever played 20 games or has he always been in and out because of attitude or injury

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Lads forget kenny. The issue is Michael obefemi doesn't give a rats ass about us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Doesn't really make sense to exclude the Swansea games though.

"He'd never played three games in a row before he played three games in a row"

Maybe we can chalk it down to Kenny not being great at the media stuff
    Does if what they were saying was until now he's been plagued with fitness issues and never had an injury free run of games like this so far in his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Kenny's exact words were, Michael has never played 3 consecutive games in his career before this year... then says I think that's true, might need to check that.

So what if he was wrong cos it's happened once or twice. Has the lad ever played 20 games or has he always been in and out because of attitude or injury
    Ah he's a long way wrong though. He's played pretty much every Swansea game this year

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast