Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rafa:I Want Stevie To Stay For Life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rafa:I Want Stevie To Stay For Life

Rafael Benitez today insisted he wants Steven Gerrard to remain a Liverpool player for the rest of his career.
    Speaking at a news conference at Melwood, the Reds manager quashed speculation that he wants his captain to leave the club by insisting Gerrard has a major role to play in his Anfield future.

He said: "I can assure our fans that we want Steven Gerrard to stay with us for the rest of his career.

"I renew my deal with Liverpool in four or five years and when I do I would like Stevie to be my next coach, assistant manager and maybe even the next manager after me. He can even have the chief scout position if he wants it.

"I want him to stay with the club. We are trying to build a better team and a better squad and I want Stevie to be a major part of that.

"Last season I tried to get Stevie to sign a new deal three times. On each occasion he said wait, so we waited.

"This year we want to win more trophies and that is why we are improving our squad with new signings."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good luck to him, I say, away from Liverpool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ol/4651003.stm
    Chelsea and Real Madrid appear to be ready for a bidding war over Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.
    The 25-year-old seems set to leave Anfield after his agents broke off from talks over a new contract and said negotiations would not be re-opened.
    Newspapers claimed on Tuesday that Chelsea had made a £32m offer - which would be a new British record.
    Real confirmed their interest - while Liverpool are said to have responded by making Gerrard an offer to stay.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Liverpool should take the money and run, no matter where it comes from.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Blue
    Liverpool should take the money and run, no matter where it comes from.
    They will, it's only the PR battle that's going on now...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    They will, it's only the PR battle that's going on now...

Exactly. Why put up with all his (agents) crap, only to have the same thing next summer?
    It's all about who's gonna be the bad guy now.

The club have, apparantly, knocked the Chelsea bid on the head, and offered him 100,000p/w. I think they're spot on. If he's intent on leaving, they should force his hand; make him put in a transfer request. Then rub their hands at the thought of a Chelsea/Real bidding war.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yep .. 32 million .. I'd take the money. Most overrated midfield player since .. well, the last most overrated English midfield player.. and thats not too long ago.

I'm sure Rafa has a list of Spanish midfield players that could potentially do a better job than Gerrard. He's not even the best midfield player at Liverpool .. with Alonso taking that honour. And Hammann was more effective in the centre in the match that mattered.

He has the potential to be a world class right back though, I'll give him that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm a Liverpool fan myself and it would be sad to see Stevie G leave. But with £32 million, we could buy a few good players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ali2005
    I'm a Liverpool fan myself and it would be sad to see Stevie G leave. But with £32 million, we could buy a few good players.
    As a fan it would be sad to see a wimpering prima donna hold the club to ransom for another year.

If Chelsea's opening bid was £32M, and they've offered £21M for SWP, I'd hold out for £40M

P.S. Would playing against TNS cup-tie him for the season? If so, I'd name my team today, with him on it. Help focus the mind of himself, his agent, and any potential buyers.
    Last edited by noby; 05/07/2005 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I want to leave

Looks like his bluff has well and truly been called. I'd be very surprised if Real Madrid bid for him.. I'd imagine that Saachi would have more sense. And Chelsea hardly need him with Makele and Lampard doing so well last season.

There is one team who might be in the market ... but would he join Man U? hardly ..

I hate these uneven summer years .. no World Cup or Euros to watch ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser
    I want to leave

Looks like his bluff has well and truly been called. I'd be very surprised if Real Madrid bid for him.. I'd imagine that Saachi would have more sense. And Chelsea hardly need him with Makele and Lampard doing so well last season.

There is one team who might be in the market ... but would he join Man U? hardly ..

I hate these uneven summer years .. no World Cup or Euros to watch ..
    Owen and Gerrard to United, jesus i can just imagine Liverpool's fans reactions to that

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Owen to Man U would not surprise me and nor bother me but Gerrard would though from what i hear Chelsea and its a done deal. Overall its good for the club long term as both him and Owen were behind the scenes causing major problems so its best he goes and Rafa can get on with the job in hand. He brought some good times for Liverpool and must not be forgotten but Liverpool is bigger than any player and will be still around when he's long gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    And Chelsea hardly need him with Makele and Lampard doing so well last season.
    I hope you're not implying that Chelsea might lead him up the garden path, and then say "no, actually, we don't want you".
    Jose & Pete wouldn't do that, would they???

barglee
    looks like he's on the way out.
    i mean he said he wanted to win trophys which he has(the biggest in the world).
    he has the chance to play in super cup, worls club cup etc....

maybe that was all bull sh*t- he always planned on leaving.

i still reckon odds of 12-1 that he'll be at liverpool on 13th August are quite good.
    he might stay for one more year.he'd still be worth about 20 million next summer

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    [QUOTE=macdermesser]I want to leave

I hate these uneven summer years .. no World Cup or Euros to watch /QUOTE]

Big time, sufferin badly from withdrawal symptoms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    ...And Chelsea hardly need him with Makele and Lampard doing so well last season.

Chelsea regularly play with three in the middle to let Batman, erm, Duffer and Robben make grown men cry without too many defensive duties to drag them back. Gerrard is surely better than Tiago et al.

Man Utd are unlikely to be able to afford to outbid Chelsea, and Gerrard, unless he's really ****ed off with Liverpool will hardly join Man Utd ahead of Chelsea anyway - the fans would despise him for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa B
    Owen to Man U would not surprise me and nor bother me but Gerrard would though from what i hear Chelsea and its a done deal. Overall its good for the club long term as both him and Owen were behind the scenes causing major problems so its best he goes and Rafa can get on with the job in hand. He brought some good times for Liverpool and must not be forgotten but Liverpool is bigger than any player and will be still around when he's long gone.
    Agreed with ya there, with that sort of money, Liverpool could well replace him with change to bring in more badly needed quality. But if he had any sense of pride he would not sign for Chelsea, Madrid should be his prefered choice, they are a much bigger club than Chelsea will ever be + he has a few of his country team mates there a swell so it will be much easier. Can't see Owen going to Man U either by the way. Would be a great signing, him and Rooney up front, off load RVN for 20/25 and bring in Jenas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Gerrard is a lying judas. Thanks for the memories, but i'll be booing him from here on in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    2 statements were issued regarding Gerrard's future: One by the club, and one by Gerrard himself. Both claim to be telling the truth, but the truth only depends on which side of the fence you sit on, and which you believe. They can't both be correct.

I side with the player. The first two lines of his statement back it up, where he quotes: "I intended to sign a new contract after the CL final, but (crucially), events of the past 5/6 weeks have changed that". Therein lies the rub, and I suspect what really made the decision.

After the CL final, Gerrard's contract talks, were not negotiated for the first time. Nothing happened during June, when there was a second opportunity to negotiate them. Eventually last week, discussions began, 6 WEEKS after the season finished. Initially, things didn't go to plan. Then the following weekend, Benitez having elbowed Owen out the door last year over contractual negotiations, launched a campaign against the player in the media, insisting that the player wanted out, something that shocked the player. When he found out about it, SG presumably decided that he didn't want to continue with the discussions, and said "That's it, I'm off!!".

There is a culture of laziness, incompetence, and inertia among the top brass at LFC now. This is not the first occasion that something like this has happened. After 2 years of constantly delayed contract discussions with McManaman, he then left on a free transfer. Last year, after a similar delay over contract talks, Owen was left with one year left on his contract. The club did not offer him a suitable deal, so they sold him, to a club who didn't want him. Now, the same thing has happened again with Gerrard. The message from Moores and Parry is always the wrong one, and they were involved in all three players' contractual discussions. It's always, "We'll discuss it, (we will, we will, we will, we will,) in the near future". On all three occasions, the player left the club. After Steve decided to stay with the club, his new contract could have been sorted out then, in January, after the CL final, during the summer break, and when the team reported back for pre-season training. It wasn't on all 5 occasions, and Gerrard then decided he'd had enough of the club's failure to come to an acceptable deal. As the club's captain, and best player, why wasn't his contract sorted out as priority at the end of the season, over any other business, instead of Hamann's, for example? The club claim they did all they could to keep SG at LFC. They obviously didn't, because if they did, he would still be there.

Judging by the terminology of those two lines in his statement, Steve probably didn't really want to leave the club, but feels that due to the club's failure to come up with a suitable contract, and that the coach tried to create a propaganda campaign against him in the press, he felt that he had no choice but to leave the club. The club's statement is full of PR-driven spin, designed to make Gerrard at fault over the whole business. I feel that he was forced to leave the club by the ineptitude of Moores, and Parry, and the betrayal from his coach, over what were supposed to be confidential contract talks, in the press. Following the near-certainty that Gerrard will leave, he will hopefully move to Real Madrid. If he goes to Chelsea, they'll be rubbing our nose in it for years. If he goes to Real, it will be more palatable to our fans, and maintain the good relationship that exists between the clubs.

I would like to say to the following:

Moores: Do us all a favour, sell up to Steve Morgan, and fuc off out of the club, before any more damage happens regarding players, as a result of your naivety and incompetence. You're Tony Maguire in disguise!!
    Parry: As above, great with the media, but a hopeless CEO, who has failed to negotiate successful contracts with 3 key players. Go too!!
    Benitez: He is far from innocent in all this. If we hadn't won the CL, I would be calling for his head as well, the damage caused by his part in this whole business has yet to be revealed.

Without Gerrard, the team has no leader, and the move will be a severe blow to squad morale. Qualifying for the CL this season has suddenly become much more difficult. When we last won the EC in '84, the captain Souness, was immediately sold to Sampdoria. By the following October, we had lost at home to Everton and were then 17th in the league, as the club struggled to cope without Souey. We eventually recovered to finish second, and that '84 team was way better than the current team. Benitez bought 3 players this week, all from La Liga. One of them, a player who's club was relegated, is out for the whole of next season. That's his judgement for you!!

Maybe we should just rename the whole team, and call them Spain!! Players from there will dominate the team and squad for the foreseeable future, players who won't be able to cope with the English culture, mentality, and style of football. The damage this whole episode has done will be extensive on the field, and it may start a process, that ultimately costs Benitez his job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Both claim to be telling the truth, but the truth only depends on which side of the fence you sit on, and which you believe.

Well, it's obvious which side of the fence you sit on. Are you saying there's no pr spin in Gerrard's statements?

This has been going on for more than a year now. Last summer he said he'dd make a descision this summer. Three times during the season the club tried to open contract negotiations with him and were told to wait until the summer.
    Then when he's ready and they don't drop everything for him he goes off in a huff. It smacks a bit of a spoilt child.
    The priority in the summer was sorting out out of contract players, and those on one year. Including Hamann.

I'm not trying to defend any ineptitude in the club, but he played a part in it too.
    TBH I get the feeling he really doesn't know what he wants to do, but his agent has other ideas.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    2 statements were issued regarding Gerrard's future: One by the club, and one by Gerrard himself. Both claim to be telling the truth, but the truth only depends on which side of the fence you sit on, and which you believe. They can't both be correct.

I side with the player. The first two lines of his statement back it up, where he quotes: "I intended to sign a new contract after the CL final, but (crucially), events of the past 5/6 weeks have changed that". Therein lies the rub, and I suspect what really made the decision.

After the CL final, Gerrard's contract talks, were not negotiated for the first time. Nothing happened during June, when there was a second opportunity to negotiate them. Eventually last week, discussions began, 6 WEEKS after the season finished. Initially, things didn't go to plan. Then the following weekend, Benitez having elbowed Owen out the door last year over contractual negotiations, launched a campaign against the player in the media, insisting that the player wanted out, something that shocked the player. When he found out about it, SG presumably decided that he didn't want to continue with the discussions, and said "That's it, I'm off!!".

There is a culture of laziness, incompetence, and inertia among the top brass at LFC now. This is not the first occasion that something like this has happened. After 2 years of constantly delayed contract discussions with McManaman, he then left on a free transfer. Last year, after a similar delay over contract talks, Owen was left with one year left on his contract. The club did not offer him a suitable deal, so they sold him, to a club who didn't want him. Now, the same thing has happened again with Gerrard. The message from Moores and Parry is always the wrong one, and they were involved in all three players' contractual discussions. It's always, "We'll discuss it, (we will, we will, we will, we will,) in the near future". On all three occasions, the player left the club. After Steve decided to stay with the club, his new contract could have been sorted out then, in January, after the CL final, during the summer break, and when the team reported back for pre-season training. It wasn't on all 5 occasions, and Gerrard then decided he'd had enough of the club's failure to come to an acceptable deal. As the club's captain, and best player, why wasn't his contract sorted out as priority at the end of the season, over any other business, instead of Hamann's, for example? The club claim they did all they could to keep SG at LFC. They obviously didn't, because if they did, he would still be there.

Judging by the terminology of those two lines in his statement, Steve probably didn't really want to leave the club, but feels that due to the club's failure to come up with a suitable contract, and that the coach tried to create a propaganda campaign against him in the press, he felt that he had no choice but to leave the club. The club's statement is full of PR-driven spin, designed to make Gerrard at fault over the whole business. I feel that he was forced to leave the club by the ineptitude of Moores, and Parry, and the betrayal from his coach, over what were supposed to be confidential contract talks, in the press. Following the near-certainty that Gerrard will leave, he will hopefully move to Real Madrid. If he goes to Chelsea, they'll be rubbing our nose in it for years. If he goes to Real, it will be more palatable to our fans, and maintain the good relationship that exists between the clubs.

I would like to say to the following:

Moores: Do us all a favour, sell up to Steve Morgan, and fuc off out of the club, before any more damage happens regarding players, as a result of your naivety and incompetence. You're Tony Maguire in disguise!!
    Parry: As above, great with the media, but a hopeless CEO, who has failed to negotiate successful contracts with 3 key players. Go too!!
    Benitez: He is far from innocent in all this. If we hadn't won the CL, I would be calling for his head as well, the damage caused by his part in this whole business has yet to be revealed.

Without Gerrard, the team has no leader, and the move will be a severe blow to squad morale. Qualifying for the CL this season has suddenly become much more difficult. When we last won the EC in '84, the captain Souness, was immediately sold to Sampdoria. By the following October, we had lost at home to Everton and were then 17th in the league, as the club struggled to cope without Souey. We eventually recovered to finish second, and that '84 team was way better than the current team. Benitez bought 3 players this week, all from La Liga. One of them, a player who's club was relegated, is out for the whole of next season. That's his judgement for you!!

Maybe we should just rename the whole team, and call them Spain!! Players from there will dominate the team and squad for the foreseeable future, players who won't be able to cope with the English culture, mentality, and style of football. The damage this whole episode has done will be extensive on the field, and it may start a process, that ultimately costs Benitez his job.
    more rubbish

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jockser
    more rubbish
    Agreed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast