Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68

Thread: Fixtures published for 2022

  1. #21
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    344
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    299
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Anyone know why there's no fixtures the 25th/26th March? It's the international weekend, but that never saw games postponed before
    I think I heard on a podcast that the new approach would be to avoid international weekends where possible. Too many underage call ups and disruptions due to same I think? I could be wrong....

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #22
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    34,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,036
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,047
    Thanked in
    2,561 Posts
    Could make sense alright I guess

  4. #23
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    593
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    178
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    120
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    It’ll also free up a few slots for other postponed games to be rescheduled into, provided it’s a game that doesn’t involve clubs that have international call ups of course
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  5. #24
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    34,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,036
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,047
    Thanked in
    2,561 Posts
    I was thinking that, but it's very early in the season for there to be postponed games to catch up on.

    (That's hoping covid is going to be less of a concern in a month's time of course)

  6. #25
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    593
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    178
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    120
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    I see rovers will face a behind closed doors game in the league opener against UCD

    https://independent.ie/sport/soccer/...-41257585.html

    A fitting punishment to be honest which will hopefully serve as a deterrent to assaulting players
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  7. #26
    First Team Calcio Jack's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    110
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    [QUOTE=2 Year Contract;2100616]I see rovers will face a behind closed doors game in the league opener against UCD

    https://independent.ie/sport/soccer/...-41257585.html


    A fitting punishment to be honest which will hopefully serve as a deterrent to assaulting players[/QUOTE

    What a joke from the FAI - if the incident occurred at a Rovers home match then the ban would be perhaps justifiable - What happened was a disgrace but it happened in Waterford’s ground and they not Rovers were responsible for security on the day - so we get punished because of a system failure by Waterford ( albeit it is difficult to police such matters)

    In addition for the FAI to make 5,000 plus Rovers fans suffer this restriction shows poor judgement at a time when most of us have been enduring almost 2 years of lockdown restrictions that included having to having to miss attending multiple games.

    Up to yesterday we’d sold 2,800 season tickets

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #27
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    34,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,036
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,047
    Thanked in
    2,561 Posts
    There is no possible way you can make Rovers out to be victims in this.

    It was your fans who fired several fireworks onto the pitch (and watched and did nothing while the gun was fired again and again). Rovers again and again have this problem and can't keep fobbing it off just because they were the away team (that'll only encourage knackers at away games)

    And also, I can't go to the game now because your fans thought it was a great idea to fire guns onto the pitch during a game, but that seems to have slipped you by.

  10. #28
    First Team Calcio Jack's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    110
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There is no possible way you can make Rovers out to be victims in this.

    It was your fans who fired several fireworks onto the pitch (and watched and did nothing while the gun was fired again and again). Rovers again and again have this problem and can't keep fobbing it off just because they were the away team (that'll only encourage knackers at away games)

    And also, I can't go to the game now because your fans thought it was a great idea to fire guns onto the pitch during a game, but that seems to have slipped you by.
    So it’s up to Rovers fans to act as ‘security’ ? I wouldn’t take on some knackers in that situation ? Would you? Rovers can’t search fans at away grounds? What about Dundalk as one their fans threw a firework into the pitch recently in Dayler ? Surely they should suffer a similar sanction?

    To describe the individuals as Rovers fans is as you well know disingenuous; they are no different than if I was to go to a match posing as a UCD supporter and fire rockets onto the pitch- in other words they are scum who attach themselves to Rovers- making both you and all the genuine Rovers fans miss out won’t in any way change the future behaviour of them and there ilk - all it does is impose hardship on genuine fans -

    All I can say is that I’ve being following Rovers for over 50 years - we’ve always had a attraction for knackers ; be they skinheads, bootboys , chavs etc and they’ve all had one thing in common ; utter knackers who don’t care about social convention , are too brain dead to even consider/care about the repercussions of their actions- and none of the forgoing is unique to us as Bohs/Pats/Derry/Limerick and others have over the years their own scumbag followers (UCD are exempt) and in all cases the clubs are not to blame- and to the best of my knowledge no stadium ban, fine, ground closure anywhere in the world has in any way modified their behaviour
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 19/01/2022 at 8:27 PM.

  11. #29
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    344
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    299
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There is no possible way you can make Rovers out to be victims in this.

    It was your fans who fired several fireworks onto the pitch (and watched and did nothing while the gun was fired again and again). Rovers again and again have this problem and can't keep fobbing it off just because they were the away team (that'll only encourage knackers at away games)

    And also, I can't go to the game now because your fans thought it was a great idea to fire guns onto the pitch during a game, but that seems to have slipped you by.
    Ah stu, come on. We are talking about 2 clowns here. I understand the frustration as I'm sure you were looking forward to the game but "guns"? It was a firework repeater stick and the dopes were dealt with by Rovers fans and handed to the guards which was the appropriate response. They should have been criminally charged and they were banned by the club.

    A game behind closed doors doesn't mean anything to the small number of idiots who show up now and then to cause trouble or, which seems more likely in this case, are just really ****ing dumb. Criminal charges and bans are the way to go when these things happen imop. Have to target the individuals as there's very little a club can do to stop some clown getting 12 cans into him on the way to an away game or bringing a firework to one on Halloween weekend. Maybe if it happened in Tallaght I could see the argument for this but punishing the likes of you, me and the thousands who were looking forward to their first game of the season does nothing at all to stop it from happening again which should be the aim surely? It's essentially a fine in terms of gate receipts gone but with added punishment for regular fans. Make the fine heftier if you want the club to pay attention but I'm still not sure what the FAI expect the club to do outside of bans.

    Gutted for you all the same. I know you've been looking forward to getting back to the top table and it would have been a special night I think with Byrne back, UCD back, Whelan and Kerrigan testing themselves at the higher level and restrictions hopefully gone.

  12. #30
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    433
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There is no possible way you can make Rovers out to be victims in this.

    It was your fans who fired several fireworks onto the pitch (and watched and did nothing while the gun was fired again and again). Rovers again and again have this problem and can't keep fobbing it off just because they were the away team (that'll only encourage knackers at away games)

    And also, I can't go to the game now because your fans thought it was a great idea to fire guns onto the pitch during a game, but that seems to have slipped you by.
    You expect someone to go and take a lit firework of someone? and do what with it exactly?

  13. #31
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    34,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,036
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,047
    Thanked in
    2,561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Ah stu, come on. We are talking about 2 clowns here. I understand the frustration as I'm sure you were looking forward to the game but "guns"? It was a firework repeater stick and the dopes were dealt with by Rovers fans and handed to the guards which was the appropriate response. They should have been criminally charged and they were banned by the club.
    Fair enough on the correct terminology - still, crowd trouble is a long-standing Rovers problem and it's up to the club and everyone in it to stamp it out. If this helps focus the club's mind on that, then good. I do think Waterford should get a fine as well, but Rovers don't get to wash their hands over this, however much Calcio et al would like to.

  14. #32
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    164
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    301
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I do love a bit of Rovers bashing but would find this punishment a bit odd. I can see the logic , to act as deterrent and motivation for Rovers to root out the trouble makers. I would have seen a few away games without an allocation of away tickets more suitable for the crime. They are the league champions and to deny their fans the opening night is disproportionate I reckon.

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #33
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    344
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    299
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fair enough on the correct terminology - still, crowd trouble is a long-standing Rovers problem and it's up to the club and everyone in it to stamp it out. If this helps focus the club's mind on that, then good. I do think Waterford should get a fine as well, but Rovers don't get to wash their hands over this, however much Calcio et al would like to.

    I get it. I just think the club did the right thing already in banning the two dopes. Waterford should have faced something as well as you say and there were plenty of things around the league that could have warranted fines etc that went ignored. The firework at Waterford was obviously the pick of the bunch in terms of stupidity but I think it was also very clearly 2 idiots who weren't out to hurt anyone. They were aiming for the roof to begin with....the one right above their own heads......I'm surprised they were able to find Waterford to be honest.

    D24Saint has a fair take there I think. Banning away fans would have hurt the few idiots more than shutting everyone out of Tallaght. This smacks of a bit of a comeback from the FAI after Rovers called out their bizarre about turn on the u-14 league.

  17. #34
    First Team Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,466
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    596
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    592
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Banning them from away games would mean whoever they were playing that their fans weren’t allowed go to would be taking the financial hit.

    Maybe just ban them from Dalymount for a game and save Bohs coming up with a reason to say they won’t let them in.

  18. #35
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    344
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    299
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Banning them from away games would mean whoever they were playing that their fans weren’t allowed go to would be taking the financial hit.

    Maybe just ban them from Dalymount for a game and save Bohs coming up with a reason to say they won’t let them in.
    Fair point.

  19. #36
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,935
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    158
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    697
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Its nonsense and sets a very bad precedent.
    The first time a flare is thrown onto a pitch next season by any Muppet is when you will see what nonsense this is as the FAI will do precisely nothing.
    They have in the past used photos of flares to promote the league.
    It shows how out of touch the FAI are that their solution to a couple of knackers letting off flares is to ban the long suffering real supporters.
    Also no equivocation or whataboutary from me .....it was unacceptable what happened but other than lifetime bans what were the club supposed to do??
    Fine SRFC (and others when it happens) the equivalent of the gate receipts but don't punish and give two fingers to the real fans.

  20. #37
    First Team WeAreRovers's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    49
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    71
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    The gobdaws involved should get everything that's coming to them - lifetime ban from Tallaght and criminal charges - but I don't see why my 9-year-old son and his mates some of whom are new ST holders along with their dads are being punished. Just shy of 3,000 STs sold already and they are all now being collectively punished.

    Not to mention the dangerous precedent set, I've read a H&S report from another ground last season where broadcast and technical staff were in fear for their lives and there were no Gardai present as the club concerned owed a significant sum to the Guards.

    Official complaints were made by various parties and other than a grovelling apology from the club nothing was done - no sanctions whatsoever. Can I assume based on the precedent set that the ground involved will now be closed should there be a repeat this season? I won't be holding my breath.

    Incidentally, good to see fans and officials of other clubs - including clubs that really dislike Rovers - coming out against this too.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

  21. #38
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    34,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,036
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,047
    Thanked in
    2,561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I get it. I just think the club did the right thing already in banning the two dopes. Waterford should have faced something as well as you say and there were plenty of things around the league that could have warranted fines etc that went ignored. The firework at Waterford was obviously the pick of the bunch in terms of stupidity but I think it was also very clearly 2 idiots who weren't out to hurt anyone. They were aiming for the roof to begin with....the one right above their own heads......I'm surprised they were able to find Waterford to be honest.
    I don't think the "they were aiming for the roof" argument is valid (in the same way I don't think "firework repeater stick" really softens things either). I mean, what would happen had they hit the roof? The fireworks would have dropped down onto the crowd and caused more damage than was actually done. I also don't see any reason to introduce conspiracy theories around the U14 league tbh, or to try dismiss them with "I'm surprised they could find Waterford"; it's all a bit hand-washy for me unfortunately.

    Yes, this impacts the genuine Rovers fan; yes, it's an extreme move; and yes, it's hard enough for Rovers to actually monitor this, especially at away games (stuff like trouble in pubs at away games is pretty much impossible of course). But this isn't a one-off incident of trouble, and it's very hard to separate the club from the fans. How effective is banning the guys from Tallaght going to be for example? When you go to the turnstiles with cash, do you be checked against a list of faces before being given a ticket? Would a photo ID system work better for example? Are there other options which could be considered which might be more effective than a statement of condemnation?

    I've given Rovers credit where it's due on their academy structure in particular, but I think this needs to be addressed a bit more thoroughly than "it was also very clearly 2 idiots who weren't out to hurt anyone". It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...

  22. #39
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,935
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    158
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    697
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Dont think you are being fair their Stu.
    The stadium bans work well because even if they get past the turnstiles the home stewards tend to know these guys.
    Its like life in general everyone knows the local gob****es.

    And what about the pyro display when UCD won the playoff game??
    You know im being tongue in cheek but where does it stop?
    Is it flares thrown on to the pitch? only when someone is nearly hit? only when someone is hit?
    Like i said its nonsense and will be shown to be so when the FAI choose to ignore the next flares thrown onto the pitch

  23. #40
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    344
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    299
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't think the "they were aiming for the roof" argument is valid (in the same way I don't think "firework repeater stick" really softens things either). I mean, what would happen had they hit the roof? The fireworks would have dropped down onto the crowd and caused more damage than was actually done. I also don't see any reason to introduce conspiracy theories around the U14 league tbh, or to try dismiss them with "I'm surprised they could find Waterford"; it's all a bit hand-washy for me unfortunately.

    Yes, this impacts the genuine Rovers fan; yes, it's an extreme move; and yes, it's hard enough for Rovers to actually monitor this, especially at away games (stuff like trouble in pubs at away games is pretty much impossible of course). But this isn't a one-off incident of trouble, and it's very hard to separate the club from the fans. How effective is banning the guys from Tallaght going to be for example? When you go to the turnstiles with cash, do you be checked against a list of faces before being given a ticket? Would a photo ID system work better for example? Are there other options which could be considered which might be more effective than a statement of condemnation?

    I've given Rovers credit where it's due on their academy structure in particular, but I think this needs to be addressed a bit more thoroughly than "it was also very clearly 2 idiots who weren't out to hurt anyone". It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...
    Well when the original argument are that some Rovers fans brought guns in and assaulted players (not your point) while all the other Rovers fans watched on in delight then I think another perspective is fair enough no? The intent doesn't diminish the risk so I'm definitely not saying it should have gone without punishment though. I just think that punishment should have been at the individual level in this case. At most the club should have been given a fine. This is a fine with an extra punishment for the fans. To punish Rovers fans and UCD fans on opening night is way over the top. Maybe we both agree that it's hard for Rovers to take any effective action here and that the punishment is therefore not only harsh but pointless as well though?

    In this case it's fairly easy to separate the club from the two involved. They were identified by rovers fans (easy enough what with the cannon in their hand), given a few slaps and handed to the guards on the night. Criminal charges and bans would have been enough. Again, if it had happened in Tallaght I'd have a different take.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 fixtures to be released on monday
    By Foot.ie in forum St Patrick's Athletic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16/12/2021, 1:30 PM
  2. FAI: 2018 FARE Report is published
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10/12/2018, 12:20 PM
  3. Attendance figures now published.....
    By AnnaghRed in forum Irish League
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 03/05/2009, 10:21 PM
  4. Anybody on here ever written anything thats been published
    By Block G Raptor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07/01/2008, 1:08 PM
  5. fake football photo published
    By the 12 th man in forum World League Football
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19/05/2004, 7:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •