Thread: Match programmes

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts

Match programmes

Random thread time!

Do you buy match programmes? What about away ones?

What do you look for in a programme? Player profiles/match photos/stats? Historical articles or match reports? Underage news or player interviews/who's the best dresser in the dressing room? Do clubs tailor programmes for the team they're playing (e.g. past matches between the two teams, former players, an article sourced from the opposition club, etc)?

I think for me, an interesting historical piece, something interactive like a quiz, and a league table/list of fixtures is the bare minimum. Player interviews for me seem to be quite bland and generic; little enough interest in them. Don't really tend to buy away programmes these days; usually too home-team focused (which is understandable in fairness), though that could have changed in the past few years of course!

But maybe interesting to see what others think.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I generally buy a programme if I come across them, but don't tend to go looking for them if I don't. Ours include a historical piece concerning games against the away side this season plus an article by someone from the club. The player focus pieces are pretty weak and for some reason aren't even interviews. That said players rarely have that much of interest to say anyway! Other than that there are photo sections, columns, editorial, underage and club news and manager piece. We try to keep the columns focussed on different areas, there's a danger they can cover the same ground sometimes. Pretty decent value at €3 as a lot of work goes into it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    We are spoilt at Dundalk for over a decade now with the match programme. I will buy a programme at away games unless it is 4 pages and €5. Tbh its just a read at half time for me although with the Dundalk one it gets picked up the next day to finish. Managers report (Sk's was particularly interesting as you just never knew what he was going to write about). League Table, home and away squads with correct shirt numbers. Physio update maybe. I like an historical feature but not essential. Quiz absolutely. Finally a piece than can stoke a bit of controversy especially in a witty manner. One poster here is particulary talented at writing such a piece for our programme. What I dislike and is often the case with FAI programmes is buying something that looks substantial and it ends up with minimal contant and lots of advertisments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    The Pats programme is vastly improved the past two seasons so I've started getting it regularly again after stopping for two or three seasons. I'll buy an away one if I see one for sale but rarely find them available for away supporters.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    The Limerick programmes were OK the last time I bought one early last year (maybe a bit biased, I was in that one as a fan interview segment!), but I think their quality fluctuates. I imagine it's quite hard to keep filling it up week in and out with decent content.

I often find the price charged doesn't reflect the quality of content in programmes, so its rare enough I'd fork out. I never buy away programmes either.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I'd be slow to buy programmes, but the digital subscription to ours is tempting. I think it's a good route with a great price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    325 Posts
    I buy them home and away. Always a good read prior to matches or at HT. Stories about clubs histories or work in the community, underage structures etc.. are always interesting and the content tends to be something you don’t always see in other forms of club media.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    limerick didnt even bother producing one last night and it was exceptionally hard to get a teamsheet either -even our radio reporter couldnt get a copy. heard the limerick media officer quit after two days- something is clearly not right at all!

is this a delibrate ploy by limerick to play around the rules?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    limerick didnt even bother producing one last night and it was exceptionally hard to get a teamsheet either -even our radio reporter couldnt get a copy. heard the limerick media officer quit after two days- something is clearly not right at all!

is this a delibrate ploy by limerick to play around the rules?
    Is this media officer the guy who couldn't spell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Is this media officer the guy who couldn't spell?
    must be. heard loads of people giving out about lack of tweets about limerick match on friday. it must be a shambles down there!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    must be. heard loads of people giving out about lack of tweets about limerick match on friday. it must be a shambles down there!
    That's because it is a shambles. So so poor with regard to things like that.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I buy one about 90% of the home Galway games I go to. Any away game I go(few enough) I would buy. Also go as neutral to around 4/5 other LoI games per season, would buy if I didn't have a recent one from the host club.
    I understand printing is expensive, but I find programmes not great value anymore. I rarely buy ones at GAA games these days.
    Will programmes be free online soon, and fans can download them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I always do, but sometimes question why I do at away games. Dundalk one is excellent, in recent seasons several clubs have really improved. Rovers, Cork, Waterford, Limerick and Galway were very good recently, I think, and Bohs, Derry, Pats and Sligo make a decent stab at it. I love historic/quirky stuff. Always surprised clubs don't make a bit more of an effort with historic stuff, even recent histortic stuff. A couple of photos and a few words will fill a couple of pages easily and start a nostaligic conversation. It doesn't have to be ancient history... Gary Twigg, Derek Swan, Tony Cousins, Pat Morley in an almost forgotten awful away kit- beautiful!

15. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Funny you mention Derek Swan; I had an article on him in the UCD v Bohs programme on Friday (as he played for both clubs) with, as you suggested, an old photo of Swan in his UCD kit. And then Swan himself came up to buy a copy. So I hope it was factually correct after that!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Funny you mention Derek Swan; I had an article on him in the UCD v Bohs programme on Friday (as he played for both clubs) with, as you suggested, an old photo of Swan in his UCD kit. And then Swan himself came up to buy a copy. So I hope it was factually correct after that!!
    That has classic LoI moment all over it lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I had forgotten Swanny (senior) played for UCD. unusual to have a father and son both play for the same two clubs.

Always buy a home programme, and occasionally buy an away one, no real rationale (for buying away one) except if I come across the seller. would be more inclined to buy one that had articles on club history and/or previous players. like a bit of a quiz as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    see for the first time since 05 season our programme price has gone up to 4e by 1e. it is the first time since 05 season that our programme will be completely colour which is great to see.

many other programmes 4e now?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Galway 4e, but have a deal of programme and lotto for a fiver, so works out at 3 then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Galway 4e, but have a deal of programme and lotto for a fiver, so works out at 3 then.
    thats a unique offer that Galway Utd are doing!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I always buy the DFC one, quality still excellent and amazingly they have kept the price at €3.

Usually tend to get an away one also, from memory Cork was another good one, Pats was ok, but I heard huge improvement this year, think Bohs was a decent one also. I noticed on Friday that Rovers sneaked in a ‘double edition’ with the Finn Harps game tomorrow night also featuring !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast