Treaty v Cork
    Longford v Galway
    Bray v Wexford
    Athlone v Waterford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Big weekend for Rovers, with Dundalk now officially the title rivals and only 2 points off the top (if win game in hand) we really need to pick up maximum points in both matches or risk being potentially behind heading into a potential 8 weeks a row in Europe. The rotation didnt work against Dundalk (i'm sceptical of Byrne and Burke being injured and Lyons started the next day against Clifftonville in a friendly).
    I would play the first 11 against Bohs and minimum rotation against Pats , the league is more important than Europe IMO.

Hopefully Shels can do us a favour against Dundalk , Drogs v Sligo is an interesting match for both teams and UCD will travel with a bit of hope to Derry, keeping it scoreless for a while will be vital as Derry must be shellshocked at this stage.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    UCD will travel with a bit of hope to Derry, keeping it scoreless for a while will be vital
    We'll be doing well to keep them scoreless for a while in Derry given they'll have an open goal in the Bowl

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Big weekend for us in Division 1.

We've got back to the top after last weekend - both Cork and Waterford should take maximum points from their games - so we have the toughest set of fixtures on paper. Obviously Cork just dropped points in Longford and we were beaten up there earlier in the season - if we can go up there and win it will send a strong message to the others.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    wouldnt be confident of cork getting 6 pts from the next 2 games. we've been poor for a while, couple that with a few key players injured. cobh are terrible but we'll probably sneak past them like the 3-2 in colemans. treaty were poor in our two meetings this season but they should be able to put up a much better challenge against our 2nd string

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We'll be doing well to keep them scoreless for a while in Derry given they'll have an open goal in the Bowl
    I'm officially losing it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    wouldnt be confident of cork getting 6 pts from the next 2 games. we've been poor for a while, couple that with a few key players injured. cobh are terrible but we'll probably sneak past them like the 3-2 in colemans. treaty were poor in our two meetings this season but they should be able to put up a much better challenge against our 2nd string
    Weve been poor enough of late but Ramblers are a different proposition at the Cross than they are in Cobh. We historically have found it very difficult to get a win in St. Colmans Park, but we typically steamroll them at the Cross. They've sacked their manager so who knows what to expect but I'd be very dissapointed if we don't win by a couple of goals Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    It'll be good to see Waterford back in action after a 4 week break. Hopefully the long break and arrival of new manager won't break the momentum we built up. We should be good enough to beat Bray at home anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    It'll be good to see Waterford back in action after a 4 week break. Hopefully the long break and arrival of new manager won't break the momentum we built up. We should be good enough to beat Bray at home anyway.
    Just wondering is there any local knowledge as to why you didnt stick with the lads who have gone on such a good run?
    Did they not want it full time? i still cant get my head around it particularly given the history

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    If we’re to make Drogheda anyway uncomfortable we need to start winning home games,we’ve won twice at home since the 3rd of September last season,against already relegated Longford and last minute against Shels…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Just wondering is there any local knowledge as to why you didnt stick with the lads who have gone on such a good run?
    Did they not want it full time? i still cant get my head around it particularly given the history
    They said Hunt and Breen didn't have the coaching badges to remain in charge and club could be fined if they did not have a qualified head coach/manager in place by a certain time. They are rightly being kept on as coaches and the new manager has said they are happy with him coming in and there will be no issues between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    They said Hunt and Breen didn't have the coaching badges to remain in charge and club could be fined if they did not have a qualified head coach/manager in place by a certain time. They are rightly being kept on as coaches and the new manager has said they are happy with him coming in and there will be no issues between them.
    Ok , good to hear the two lads havent been screwed. If i was them id be doing my badges with your Chairman holding the trigger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    UCD will travel with a bit of hope to Derry, keeping it scoreless for a while will be vital as Derry must be shellshocked at this stage.

UCD could be a price 9/1 on Betfair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    UCD could be a price 9/1 on Betfair.
    That's some value! We seem fairly incapable of keeping a clean sheet at present, and aren't being clinical in front of goal.

I don't think we'll lose tonight, though if don't score early, I could see us struggle. I know we put seven past UCD last time out, but we struggled to break them down in the first game in Belfield.

Interested to see how Sligo get one. Drogheda gave us plenty of chances last week, but always looked capable of scoring. A win for Drogheda would only have them four behind Sligo, with a game in hand.

In the FD, Galway-Treaty should see a decent crowd. Few ex-Galway players in the Treaty side too, could be tasty.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Massive interest in tonights matches judging by this thread.
    Hearing Bohs didn't sell all their allocation which is disappointing as the rest of the ground is sold out so these tickets will go unsold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Ollie Horgan’s 300th game in charge of Harps tonight…….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    So things have been a bit too plain sailing for Dundalk of recent, so before we kick off Shels to win and Rovers to hammer Bohs and Dundalk's title challenge lasts a week!

McMillan starts for Dundalk, Shels been good the 1st 10-15 but I think its because of not having Hoban to make the ball stick and lay it off. McMillan hasnt played much so dont know if he has the legs to deputise in the Hoban role.

Watching the live game from Tallaght on RTE and from Tolka on LoITV and its chalk and cheese. I know its the Dublin Derby and all but its a very entertaining game if not full of quality and its a super atmosphere. Bohs the better side really but havent made it count with many/any chances. In Tolka I was sure Benson had scored but the ball was just wide of the post. Muted atmosphere and quite scrappy. If Dundalk put even 10 minutes of how we played last week we'd get 3 points. Be interesting to see if there are any HT changes. Decent crowd up from Dundalk, maybe 5-600?

For years it was pure fantasy for LoI fans to want a game live on TV in a good stadium, big crowd with an atmosphere to fit - well its all there live on RTE tonight! Its something of a vindication of the belief over the years that these things were possible if the league wasnt held back by a short sighted FAI. Over the years I always hated when it was said 'great advertisement for the league' it seemed almost patronising. Well I think the game in tallaght is a great advertisement for the league - its not full of quality but is certainly entertaining. When the final stand is built, it looks like it will be right on top of the pitch and could be a real cauldron of a ground. The fantasy is now that other clubs like Dundalk and the council (off the back of SDCC vision) see the merits in doing a municipal stadium and work to provide or at least help with the provision of quality facilities.

Ok rovers score so the start of my prediction kicks in and the 3 steps forward 2 back in terms of getting a proper title race going!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/06/2022 at 8:52 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Great spectacle on TV. Looks to be rocking in Tallaght...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Bohs all over us…. We seem to be turning into Derry

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    It's all about opinions obviously - I think it's been a bit rubbish. Not much real quality from either side so far. Fiercely contested is about the best thing I could say. Scummy tackle from Levingston too.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast