637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Or maybe just opted for something funny instead
    Ouch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Pleasantly surprised by our new home shirt when I picked it up this morning. It’s a nice kit , the only slight issue I’d have with would be the amount of dark lines on it.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    "Gaillimh Aontaithe on Twitter: "𝗢𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝗼 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲 ⚡️ We have a limited stock of the massively popular black and gold training tops. From age 7 to XXXL 🇱🇻 Check out our full range of gear : https://t.co/dGzg1uU6XL 🛍️ #ItsATribalThing https://t.co/fPwBa3MrYH" / Twitter" https://mobile.twitter.com/GalwayUni...61320969789443

Really like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Ya it's nice, that's a map of town on the chest. It was released last year

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Dundalk away kit: https://www.dundalkfc.com/new-third-kit/

Wait until Pineapple Stu reads the below line that Umbro ask the clubs to promote even through the HYPOCRISY of Dundalk playing on a plastic pitch which they’re replaced multiple times rather than a grass one

The kit is one of Umbro’s most sustainable to date. Constructed using recycled polyester fabric, which is made from recycled plastic bottles, the advanced fabrics also include moisture-wicking and anti-microbial treatment.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Are you actually trying to compare the impact of an admittedly plastic pitch but which gets regular use across the entire local community and has a life-span of what - 3-5 years? - with multiple flights half-way around the world to scout Pakistani players for the once-in-a-lifetime offer of a place in the St Pat's academy team, with each return trip generating more than 25% of the average EU citizen's annual carbon emissions from all sources, which we're already being told is way too much?

It's almost like you don't actually know what you're talking about. Which is rather worrying given that, like it or not, climate change is going to be the single most important political topic of the coming decades. (And one which is being abused as just a marketing tool at the moment)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 14/01/2022 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    If there had been a pic of just Tom McNulty you would just assume it was him holding up one of his old shirts. In 20 years time we will be looking back at the early efforts of this decade in 'worst of' lists. As for the old pitch, we have offset the carbon footprint of our plastic pitches (and Brian Kerr's airmiles 'cause he loves them so much) by never needing to maintain them obviously!!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 14/01/2022 at 11:12 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are you actually trying to compare the impact of an admittedly plastic pitch but which gets regular use across the entire local community and has a life-span of what - 3-5 years? - with multiple flights half-way around the world to scout Pakistani players for the once-in-a-lifetime offer of a place in the St Pat's academy team, with each return trip generating more than 25% of the average EU citizen's annual carbon emissions from all sources, which we're already being told is way too much?

It's almost like you don't actually know what you're talking about. Which is rather worrying given that, like it or not, climate change is going to be the single most important political topic of the coming decades. (And one which is being abused as just a marketing tool at the moment)
    No it was quite clearly a joke based on your massive overreaction to a single pats tweet pushing the recycled jerseys line that Umbro have asked the clubs to promote.

I’ve no doubt it’ll become the most important political debate in the future and on that day I’ll join a politics forum to talk about it. For now I’m happy enough to talk/read about football on this football forum
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Is this a standard policy in such circumstances (tbh I cant recall if Harp was on youths jerseys back in the day), it does imply a quiet recognition of there being an issue? 'Infant and youth sizes come without the BetRegal logo'.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is this a standard policy in such circumstances (tbh I cant recall if Harp was on youths jerseys back in the day), it does imply a quiet recognition of there being an issue? 'Infant and youth sizes come without the BetRegal logo'.
    Yeah as far as I know betting/alcohol sponsors can’t be on kids jerseys in recent years. Celtic jerseys in shops for example don’t have Dafabet on them in kids sizes
    Paaatrick's Agletic

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    No it was quite clearly a joke based on your massive overreaction to a single pats tweet pushing the recycled jerseys line that Umbro have asked the clubs to promote.

I’ve no doubt it’ll become the most important political debate in the future and on that day I’ll join a politics forum to talk about it. For now I’m happy enough to talk/read about football on this football forum
    Ah, the old "It was clearly a joke" line. No massive over-reaction either btw - it was a throwaway comment which, unfortunately, offended the "My club couldn't possibly be bad" brigade (yourself included) and then a debate arose. (I say "debate" but really, as I've noted, the lack of any sort of knowledge of/concern about/ability to discuss the topic is worrying)

Also, I think the "future" you talk about is already here btw.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 14/01/2022 at 12:13 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah, the old "It was clearly a joke" line. No massive over-reaction either btw - it was a throwaway comment which, unfortunately, offended the "My club couldn't possibly be bad" brigade (yourself included) and then a debate arose. (I say "debate" but really, as I've noted, the lack of any sort of knowledge of/concern about/ability to discuss the topic is worrying)
    If you genuinely believe that I wasn’t joking (winking emoji and all) and that I actually think an astroturf pitch is worse for the environment than flights are then be my guest I’m not really bothered. As I mentioned, you’ll find plenty that want to debate the topic on a related forum, but you’ll find that people on a league of Ireland forum generally want to talk about league of Ireland funnily enough.

Yes obviously being ‘green’ etc is a marketing tool used by companies. My point was that Umbro are the ones that have asked clubs to market the recycled kits, which each club have briefly done. I don’t know how much you know about marketing but a singular tweet from a club is far from marketing campaign. I’d agree with your point somewhat if pats had announced a climate change officer and shouted from the rooftops about it in the national media as Bohs did and then later announced the Pakistan thing but you really are overreacting over one tweet at the request of a kit supplier
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    On a related note to all of this - at some point football is going to have to address its hugely wasteful commercial strategy of changing shirts so frequently. It's obviously done to cash in on extra sales, and clearly it works. But as the tide turns slowly against the concept of 'fast fashion', then football will eventually end up in the spotlight itself for the impact that changing shirts regularly has upon raw materials, water, energy, shipping etc etc. Making them out of recycled bottles doesn't erase their carbon footprint, and is just an attempt at green-washing.

The football industry won't like it, as shirts are an importat revenue stream. Some fans will doubtless also complain as they like new shirts etc. But it will clearly become an issue at some point. And some club will doubtless aim to be the hero/martyr by being the first to take a stand on this with longer shirt designs.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Dundalk away kit: https://www.dundalkfc.com/new-third-kit/

Wait until Pineapple Stu reads the below line that Umbro ask the clubs to promote even through the HYPOCRISY of Dundalk playing on a plastic pitch which they’re replaced multiple times rather than a grass one
    Not bad that one.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    On a related note to all of this - at some point football is going to have to address its hugely wasteful commercial strategy of changing shirts so frequently. It's obviously done to cash in on extra sales, and clearly it works. But as the tide turns slowly against the concept of 'fast fashion', then football will eventually end up in the spotlight itself for the impact that changing shirts regularly has upon raw materials, water, energy, shipping etc etc. Making them out of recycled bottles doesn't erase their carbon footprint, and is just an attempt at green-washing.

The football industry won't like it, as shirts are an importat revenue stream. Some fans will doubtless also complain as they like new shirts etc. But it will clearly become an issue at some point. And some club will doubtless aim to be the hero/martyr by being the first to take a stand on this with longer shirt designs.
    Is it really to often though?
    I mean particularly for kids that grow so quickly 1 shirt change a year is needed anyway.
    For Adults again is buying a new shirt every year a big deal , most people buy plenty of new shirts/tee shirts every year anyway and nobody thinks about criticising Clothing brands for their "winter" "Summer" "new season collections.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    It's a valid point I think. Fast fashion does get criticism. Microfibres and chemicals in modern clothing are a big issue; there's a growing concern that they enter the food chain and that the food we eat (fish in particular I think) could effectively be contaminated. Umbro's kits may be made "with" recycled polyester fabrics, but given the propensity for companies to exaggerate what they're doing with regards sustainability, what does that really mean? 10% recycled materials, 90% the same as before? And as EYG notes, three new kits a year is done to increase sales and everything that brings. Back in the day kits used to change every 2/3 years (and way less frequent than that once you hit the 70s) and we all lived to tell the tale.

I think there's very much room for a proper debate here (and not one where "bantz" counts as some sort of argument). The idea that politics and football should be separate is at best quaint these days given the focus on migrant treatment in Qatar for example, and before that the issues around the Brazil World Cup and whether funds could have been better spent. And sustainability isn't a political issue anyway; it's a social one.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 14/01/2022 at 4:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Fair points Stu but are football jerseys fast fashion at €70 - €110 , i think that is more your "Pennys" where the kids buy gear for a few quid and toss it after a couple of uses.
    You'd buy a Hugo Boss Tee-shirt for €100 and that's not fast fashion...........speaking with the expertise of someone who hasnt worn a football jersey for 30 years or a Hugo Boss tee shirt ever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Well I don't think it's being implied that football jerseys are fast fashion as such. It's more that football kits as a logical follow-on target after fast fashion. Fast fashion gets criticism, so why shouldn't the clear waste of three new football kits each year get criticised?

26. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast