Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    A bit of a reality check is in order here. Not every team in the EL group stages is as good as Ferencvaros. They're CL regulars. And Rovers were missing more than half their team.
    Dundalk got into the group's in 2016 and 2020 and didn't suffer any drubbings that bad. They actually got a few points. Even the matches they lost in 2016 group stages there was never more than 1 goal in it.
    And in 2020 they scored plenty of goals in the group too and came very close to getting results. The 3-4 away match against Rapid Wien especially could have gone either way.
    If Rovers had a fully fit team tonight they probably would have still lost but it wouldn't have been anywhere near so one sided.
    That was a really bad call by Filipo (whom I was at a live podcast show last night and who spoke very well) he rested Rogers and McCarey was at fault for two, not saying should have won, could have maybe but it was a point lost for sure, maybe could drawn v them at Aviva, but apart from that it was a competitive group, Molde was another one lost 2-1 in Tallaght and 1-0 up, Arsenal no chance but did well to score 2 v them at Aviva 'as FG said last night, most were still celebrating the cup final win'.

2016 DFC were in contention (long shot) at the last game away in Israel, but the obv good win v Macabi and the draw away to AZ, points are very hard won in any group stage, thats for sure.

Rovers might end up having a better chance of getting their first ever points in a group stage in the Conference Group, plus will they really care, 3m prize banked regardless, good going by any standards.

Just looking forward to getting back to Europe next season, hopefully a few more wins should put us in the driving seat, can't see lower than 3rd, but who knows.
    Last edited by oriel; 18/08/2022 at 9:26 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That was a really bad call by Filipo (whom I was at a live podcast show last night and who spoke very well) he rested Rogers and McCarey was at fault for two, not saying should have won, could have maybe but it was a point lost for sure, maybe could drawn v them at Aviva, but apart from that it was a competitive group, Molde was another one lost 2-1 in Tallaght and 1-0 up, Arsenal no chance but did well to score 2 v them at Aviva 'as FG said last night, most were still celebrating the cup final win'.

2016 DFC were in contention (long shot) at the last game away in Israel, but the obv good win v Macabi and the draw away to AZ, points are very hard won in any group stage, thats for sure.

Rovers might end up having a better chance of getting their first ever points in a group stage in the Conference Group, plus will they really care, 3m prize banked regardless, good going by any standards.

Just looking forward to getting back to Europe next season, hopefully a few more wins should put us in the driving seat, can't see lower than 3rd, but who knows.
    How many times is it now in the last few years where Rovers looked totally unprepared for Europe and end up bottling it? That’s 4 big away games already in just 2 seasons… It seems Rovers are good enough to do the job when they are the better side (ie in the league and against middling European sides) but when they come up against similar or better teams they get completely overrun every single time…what was disappointing tonight and even against Ludogorets was the lack of fight or commitment, they just didn’t have the heart to dig in when the going got tough and even tonight tbh it could have been 6 or 7 of Ferenvaros finished better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    When I saw they smashed Fehervar 4-0 the other day (who are 2-1 up away to Koln) and Adama Traore is scoring for fun since he joined, I did worry for Rovers. Then when I saw it was 36c up to KO, I thought they could get a hiding. These guys had already done 3 rounds in the CL and are a EL group side all day long.

Not sure I agree with the OP about dropping out now and saving getting smashed in 6 games. You want to be in the groups and the more times you are, the better you will get. Experience in games at this level and then some consistency in getting to the groups, are only good for a club’s progression. Maybe they will lose all 6, maybe they won’t, but you have to be in it to have a chance.
    That's not the traore you're thinking of . It was mentioned before the game theyre still technically pre season or there abouts and it showed against qarabag
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    That's not the traore you're thinking of . It was mentioned before the game theyre still technically pre season or there abouts and it showed against qarabag
    I know that Paul! They have a big budget but not signing Wolves’ players big budget. I just read last week that he has scored a few goals already after a handful of games so thought he would be their danger man.

Anyway, despite their 4-0 loss, they are in a position any of us would love our clubs to be in. It must be such an exciting time as a supporter, when you know you have 6 games to play and a draw for your group Friday week. The Autumn is full of such potential and you can dare to dream of big nights ahead.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    How many times is it now in the last few years where Rovers looked totally unprepared for Europe and end up bottling it? That’s 4 big away games already in just 2 seasons… It seems Rovers are good enough to do the job when they are the better side (ie in the league and against middling European sides) but when they come up against similar or better teams they get completely overrun every single time
    Tonight had much more to do with ability than bottle. The Ferencvaros players were just much better. Simple.
    Rovers were definitely hampered by missing players, and the heat probably hurt them too, but a fully fit Rovers best 11 would have fared better.
    Every now and again there's an upset, like when they beat Brann a couple of years ago but it's no surprise that the better team usually wins the game, that's what's supposed to happen
    Tonight was probably the most one sided game I've seen from a LOI team in Europe since Dundalk got hockeyed in Larnaca in 2018. Probably not a coincidence that that game was also played in about 35 degree heat, and it ended up 4-0 also.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    How many times is it now in the last few years where Rovers looked totally unprepared for Europe and end up bottling it?
    As an aside, it's a pet hate of mine that the whole "bottling it" phrase is so hackneyed and over-used in football to a cringeworthy extent (as above).

Rovers didn't 'bottle it' tonight. They lost to a team who are significantly better than them, and who would probably beat them 99 times out of every 100 that they played. Bottling it is when you're up to the task in-hand but you succumb to the spotlight/attention/pressure etc and so lose. By no credible definition would that explain what happened to Rovers tonight.

Apparently Ferencvaros have spent £40m assembling their squad. What have Rovers spent on their's ?

NEWS FLASH : Sport is about winning and losing (and occasionally drawing). Usually when a team loses it's because they weren't good enough and the outcome was the only fair result. That doesn't mean they 'bottled it' FFS

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    As an aside, it's a pet hate of mine that the whole "bottling it" phrase is so hackneyed and over-used in football to a cringeworthy extent (as above).

Rovers didn't 'bottle it' tonight. They lost to a team who are significantly better than them, and who would probably beat them 99 times out of every 100 that they played. Bottling it is when you're up to the task in-hand but you succumb to the spotlight/attention/pressure etc and so lose. By no credible definition would that explain what happened to Rovers tonight.

Apparently Ferencvaros have spent £40m assembling their squad. What have Rovers spent on their's ?

NEWS FLASH : Sport is about winning and losing (and occasionally drawing). Usually when a team loses it's because they weren't good enough and the outcome was the only fair result. That doesn't mean they 'bottled it' FFS
    Except you miss the point once again, this loss is almost in identical fashion to the way they got smashed in Tallinn last season…just look at the goals they conceded last night ffs, how anyone can sit here and not be critical I find incredible, weather they have a better squad or not is completely beside the point, it doesn’t mean you just give up and let them run all over you, the way Rovers played last night of they performed like that in Tallinn they probably would have got steam rolled a 2nd time like they did last year and pretty much like they always do in Europe.

The lack of organization or putting together even basic pieces of play is bottling it, I think you are letting them off the hook far too easily on this one.

The point is you won’t see many teams get as badly beat as Rovers did last night or see many teams roll over as easily as Rovers did last night, that’s the point, Flora didn’t spend 40+ million on their squad and they still trashed Rovers.

Look at the goal Rovers conceded last night, Even if there is a gap in quality a team of lesser quality can at least try to bridge the gap by making themselves hard to beat, Rovers don’t do that and in fact it’s the opposite, they are incredibly easy to beat as there is a real lack of sufficient coaching ability in the squad that gets exposed in Europe when Rovers play better or similar level teams. If you look at the goals Ferencvaros scored, it wasn’t like they picked apart the rovers defender, the first 3 at least were just down to absolutely laughable defending from Rovers. How many times to Rovers need to have embarrassing away performances in Europe before some fans get the point or are you just going to continue digging you’re head in the sand and act as if nothing is wrong?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Tonight had much more to do with ability than bottle. The Ferencvaros players were just much better. Simple.
    Rovers were definitely hampered by missing players, and the heat probably hurt them too, but a fully fit Rovers best 11 would have fared better.
    Every now and again there's an upset, like when they beat Brann a couple of years ago but it's no surprise that the better team usually wins the game, that's what's supposed to happen
    Tonight was probably the most one sided game I've seen from a LOI team in Europe since Dundalk got hockeyed in Larnaca in 2018. Probably not a coincidence that that game was also played in about 35 degree heat, and it ended up 4-0 also.
    Ummm did you not see the first 3 goals? Im sorry but that was down to not being capable of even basic defending at this level…but keep burying you’re head in the sand if that makes you feel better.

They may have been hampered but they were also hampered by the poor quality of organization they have which they get away with in the league but getting totally found out by in Europe.

I just wonder, how many atrocious performances like this need to happen in Europe before people start questioning the coaches? I’ve already counted 4 in the last 2 seasons, would another 3 this year suffice or do we need another couple next season on top of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Was able to see bits of the game this evening (in Coventry with couple of Wolves fans so go figure). Im not sure whether it was classic LoI in Europe or whether there was some genuine bad luck 1st goal which broke the seal. Ye could argue that a keeper shouldnt be beaten at his near post but the ball breaking loose at the back post and Mannus nearly closed off a piledriver that hit the only spot that was beating the keeper. 2nd was just the defence spliting ball, pace running on, cut back and tap in that few would defend, didnt see what led up to it. 3rd was very LoI, scramble back on a 3 on 2 when pushing on, keeper looks to have saved the day and boot a clearance to an opposition player and its a tap in. If Mannus wanted a couple more years on top money outside of LoI he did his chances no harm as some of the last ditch saves prevented a really chastening result. The 4th just looked a good strike beyond the keepers reach. Rovers didnt look completely out of their depth and at times had some ok phases, a fully fit squad to pick from and it could have been in the mix for the 2nd leg. Rovers were ruthlessly punished for any error and after the 3rd just go for broke and could have been 6+. Doesnt suit Dundalk that the tie is done, would have be grand for it to be still in the mix but now Rovers can cut their losses, throw the lot in on Sunday and could play the U19s next Thursday. I dont think a complete gut was busted tonight after being 2 down in a half hour, Sundays game in mind probably, and the free hit done with ECL groups secured and to come no matter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    A bit of a reality check is in order here. Not every team in the EL group stages is as good as Ferencvaros. They're CL regulars. And Rovers were missing more than half their team.
    Dundalk got into the group's in 2016 and 2020 and didn't suffer any drubbings that bad. They actually got a few points. Even the matches they lost in 2016 group stages there was never more than 1 goal in it.
    And in 2020 they scored plenty of goals in the group too and came very close to getting results. The 3-4 away match against Rapid Wien especially could have gone either way.
    If Rovers had a fully fit team tonight they probably would have still lost but it wouldn't have been anywhere near so one sided.
    OK I think the word TANKED might have upset you so change it to beaten 6 times, now what's the difference? Tell me how many games Dundalk won in their campaigns combined? If Ferencvaros are regulars after 2 appearances in group stages then that makes Dundalk regulars too. Really they are both not regulars.
    Finally if Rovers had a fully fit squad available Ferencvaros would have won by the same score. They looked like they could turn it up at any time and certainly took their foot of the gas in the second half. Believe me when I say I want ALL LOI teams to do well in Europe. Its great for our league, player experience and a boosted attraction to bring in new supporters for our clubs. We as a league are close ohh so close but personally I think we are 3-4 years away from group stage success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Only one other team suffered a defeat as heavy as Rovers this week in Europe, with Rovers suffering the heaviest defeat of the 'Champions' route. As far as I can tell, Only Vilinus and Pyunik are 'champion' teams to have suffered heavier defeats in the first leg this year. Second time this year they are out after the first game. You think they would have learnt from Ludograts.

I don't blame the players at all, but for me its clear they were set up naively again. Like it felt just lazy that they didnt try to change their tactics. It should be the standard for an Irish Champions to be able to keep the tie alive for the second game. Whatever about collapsing in the second leg when you are chasing the game, to not be able to see out the first half of the first game for the second time this year is beyond disappointing.

This is presumably near the top of the upswing for this Rovers team that has dominated Irish football for the last 3 years. Expecting them to be hard to beat in Europe should not be too high of a standard. I think that is why I am annoyed most at this result- just so easy to beat.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Some of the reaction on here is hilarious.
    Rovers started last nights match without
    Byrne, Burke, Pico, Finn and Mandroiu (gone for good obviously).
    If someone had said at the beginning of the European campaign that we would play without all those players against a serious team like last night i dont think anyone would have given us a prayer.
    Hard to see how the reaction is anything other than that of people that were waiting for an opportunity to pile on.
    Criticising an Irish team for losing badly in 36 degree heat without the 5 of their 6 best players (Gaffney would be up there) starting says more about the posters than it does about the team.
    Rovers had a shortened 8 man bench with only 3 senior pros on it.
    Hopefully the team recovers and does the business against Dundalk on Sunday.
    Either way im looking forward to the group stage draw on the 26th and some great nights ahead.

Id acknowledge that the patched up team didnt perform as well as they should but really i dont think that would have made much of a difference anyway, the team we put out were never going to be good enough at this level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    rovers missing some of their best players made a difference but im not sure how much it changes the scoreline tbh. the gulf is quality was massive IMO. fans of other clubs can point and laugh and call them an embarrassment but at the end of the day rovers are still comfortably the best side in ireland yet they couldnt lay a glove on feren. this league is MILES off competing with these kind of clubs. unless irish clubs get very kind draws at this stage of the competition they havent a hope in hell. the foreign lads for feren were quality, when irish clubs are mainly dealing in irish players and some foreign cast offs from similarly poor leagues we are well up against it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

dundalk got the rub of the green with their draw in 2020, those are the breaks you need to go in your favour once you get to these stages.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Some of the reaction on here is hilarious.
    Rovers started last nights match without
    Byrne, Burke, Pico, Finn and Mandroiu (gone for good obviously).
    If someone had said at the beginning of the European campaign that we would play without all those players against a serious team like last night i dont think anyone would have given us a prayer.
    Hard to see how the reaction is anything other than that of people that were waiting for an opportunity to pile on.
    Criticising an Irish team for losing badly in 36 degree heat without the 5 of their 6 best players (Gaffney would be up there) starting says more about the posters than it does about the team.
    Rovers had a shortened 8 man bench with only 3 senior pros on it.
    Hopefully the team recovers and does the business against Dundalk on Sunday.
    Either way im looking forward to the group stage draw on the 26th and some great nights ahead.

Id acknowledge that the patched up team didnt perform as well as they should but really i dont think that would have made much of a difference anyway, the team we put out were never going to be good enough at this level
    True but it further show exposes how poorly coached a team Rovers of they are that reliant on certain players to be fit to function. A well coached/ set up side should be able to cope without key players at least, it shouldn’t be like pulling the plug from the bath tub. Also with half those players available Rovers lost in a similarly naive fashion only a few weeks ago, how that is still being glossed over by some I find astonishing.

The exact same complaints being made by me and other fans after last years Flora Tallinn loss are being made now and the same lazy defense is being made, it shows that there is a real lacking in strength in character in this squad.

It further proves the point that this Rovers team simply can’t perform against adversity, they need everything to be going their away otherwise they’ll crack, it’s proven time and time again in Europe and still no one says anything…

Also maybe if they actually tried blooding more Young players like Ferizaj or Tetteh (as examples) for instance maybe they wouldn’t be so reliant on certain players being fit.

Some great batterings you mean, this Rovers team even in the conference league will get exposed. It’s easier at this stage in Europe to look good as some of the teams aren’t very good but in Europe Rovers will have to perform against similar or better teams which they’ve proven they are incapable of doing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    dundalk got the rub of the green with their draw in 2020, those are the breaks you need to go in your favour once you get to these stages.
    Except in 2020 Dundalk beat Sheriff, this Rovers team would have gotten battered by Sheriff and the fans on here would still defend the coaches at all costs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Except in 2020 Dundalk beat Sheriff, this Rovers team would have gotten battered by Sheriff and the fans on here would still defend the coaches at all costs.
    sheriff were nobodies in 2020, all the money came the following year. id absolute fancy this rovers side to get a result v them. dundalk were in poor shape that year anyway which says a lot about sheriff

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    For a LOI team to make the groups in Europe we always need a bit of luck.
    That's why I think it's unfair to stick the boot into Rovers too much for last night.
    I think some on here had some v unrealistic expectations judging by their reactions.
    Ferencvaros have a squad valued at 40 million! They've reached groups of the CL or EL in each of the last 3 years They beat Leverkusen in the group last year. That's the kind of level we're talking about here. They're absolutely miles ahead of Rovers by every metric. And when you consider that Rovers were missing 5/6 of their best players, they really hadn't much hope.
    That said, I do think the tactics were quite naieve and the players played well below their par on the night too. A perfect storm really - missing 5 starters, below par performances from many, high quality opposition, heat.
    But it happens other teams too. I was keeping an eye on Dundee United last week to see how McGrath got on and they got beat 8-0 by Alkmaar.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    That RFS team they’re beating finished last season 16 points ahead of Riga FC who Derry didn’t lay a glove on
    Impressive from Linfield. However, that 16 point gap is 1 point in favour of Riga FC this year. Although, there is still a team well ahead of both in their league. Derry wouldn't beat the Riga team if they played them another 10 times this season. The physical advantage is huge when compared to the wee guys in the LOI, last night exposed it as well.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Slightly surprised at the amount of criticism Rovers are getting. Missing some key players against a very good side is going to be very tough. However I would agree somewhat with the questions over Bradley and in particular his tactical inflexibility. It's always 3-5-2 regardless of whether he has the players for it or not.

Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast