Page 85 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Agreed. They were the architects of their own downfall. Terrible free header to give away for the 1st goal. Penalty was unfortunate but it was a penalty. Basel will batter them in the PO round.
    No, it should never have been a penalty. Their lad controlled with his arm first, should have been a free out.

I thought we played well, and were very much on top before the peno. Story of our season though. Not taking chances and gave away a cheap first goal too. Hugely frustrating night. Two red cards issued after the final whistle. Adam O’Reilly for Pats and one of theirs. Horrible shower they were too.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Bah humbug, I’ve seen it all before. We had chances we didn’t take. They got a soft goal. The referee had a nightmare. Rinse & repeat. Roll on Sunday v Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    it'll be a miracle for cotter if rovers decide to keep onto him. the lad is no where near good enough for any sort of european chasing loi side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    it'll be a miracle for cotter if rovers decide to keep onto him. the lad is no where near good enough for any sort of european chasing loi side.
    I think that’s harsh, and I saw almost all of Cotter’s games for Rovers. He definitely needs to improve his decision making, but he has some serious raw abilities in terms of beating a man, pace and power. I was surprised we let him go on loan to be honest, I thought there was a lot to like.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    He was woeful tonight. The more I see of him, the worse I think he is.
    Previously I thought he was awful/ excellent in equal measure, but now it's more 70/30 or even 80/20.
    Whenever he does something good now I think he's usually just got lucky.
    He takes a lot of risky decisions on the ball. When it comes off for him he looks amazing with his athleticism and power. But more often than not he screws up.
    Too inconsistent and way too many mistakes to be a top-end LOI player imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Good performance from us tonight so hopefully something to build on for the rest of the season. Not that I think we’d have scored another 2 but would have been an interesting last 20 if we’d scored the penalty.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Anyone know what was the reason for the Pats singing section being in the east stand tonight, while the family section was behind the goal?
    Surely it would have made more sense to swap them. You always want your loudest hardcore fans behind the goal!
    And it makes for a much better spectacle on TV. With the way it was, the Pats fans were sitting beside the gantry so wouldn't have been very visible on TV. Pity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Anyone know what was the reason for the Pats singing section being in the east stand tonight, while the family section was behind the goal?
    Surely it would have made more sense to swap them. You always want your loudest hardcore fans behind the goal!
    And it makes for a much better spectacle on TV. With the way it was, the Pats fans were sitting beside the gantry so wouldn't have been very visible on TV. Pity.
    Well the Stand behind the goal was only opened after the other two stands had sold out, so I dare say that’s the reason.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Conversely it sounded like it was a good atmosphere. Cameras should really be in the West Stand in Tallaght. If you have a singing section of any size in the East Stand it's too close to the cameras and tends to sound too big for its size.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Conversely it sounded like it was a good atmosphere. Cameras should really be in the West Stand in Tallaght. If you have a singing section of any size in the East Stand it's too close to the cameras and tends to sound too big for its size.
    Cameras should be in the West Stand because of the glare from the sun.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Ach, that was there for the taking for Pat's, but killer instinct lacking. Enjoyable game and even though a disappointing result and CSKA no great shakes (also dirty), we're talking about a game where a well known European side were lucky enough to win in normal time and celebrated like they won the Champions League after beating a LoI side.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Rovers have a chance to be in Pot 3 in the Europa Conference. Looking at the teams that might be involved, no reason they should not put some points on the board. Although, there is a big gulf in quality between pot 2 and 3.

Here is where I am seeing the pots: https://twitter.com/tgloban/status/1557841234768674822... Right on the border for Pot 3. A group of FK Partizan, FCSB and Linfield... Rovers might feel they have a chance that they could progress out of it.
    Jays - there's some tough teams in Pot 4 all the same. FC Zurich, Silkeborg and Sivasspor?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Pats scored two goals in four games in Europe - which also included 30 minutes of extra time. Dire finishing cost them. They really messed up on a night which, if they'd managed not to lose, would have been the greatest moment in their history.
    On the terrible referee, similar to the Rovers game, we're getting to the point where almost every foul is punished by a yellow card. Ir's just ridiculous at this point.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Even after a sleep I have to say I'm still frustrated about that pats match. I've seen a lot of LOI matches in Europe but don't think I've ever been that frustrated after a tie. I think the feeling was mutual for nearly everybody at the stadium. And the players too - hence the bust up after the whistle. It's quite rare you see that really.
    Be interesting to see if the ref gave any more reds in the tunnel or dressing room.
    Hope they've a few suspended for the playoff and Basel give them a battering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Pat's were good in the first leg. CSKA being strong at set pieces and Pat's inconsistency were both flagged ahead of this round.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Actually thought it was far better having the singing section there. Don't know why it just worked.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Whether it was a peno or not it Brockbank making himself big with his arms wide initially, made it easier for the ref to give a peno, Forrester called him on it too. There is a tendency not to be ruthless enough and misses were costly, anyone who gets a really clinical striker in LoI has a rare asset. the concession of the 1st goal was a complete switch off by the defenders, a very basic error really. It was quite similar to Dundalk first time playing BATE at home, missed chances while being the better side, they were scumbagish all game and at full time (0-0) and went through, started a melee with their celebrations, Dundalk players went to shake hands and they started eyeballing and shoving - the worst level of sportsmanship id ever seen. It boiled down to some naivety and same with pats last night, but its a big learing curve and St Pats will be the better for it.

Im not sure about Cotter as a full back or wing back even as his defensive duties can be so inconsistent and wayward passing in dangerous areas. If he was converted to a good old style winger it could suit with his pace and generally good technical albeit raw technical ability. Would then be ok with basic defensive duties with a work ethic which he has.

It hurts when this kind of result happens but Pats fans shouldnt be too downbeat, its a team thats building and this will be a massive boost knowing that they could compete at this level. It will be about how they deal with the disappointment, either bring that level of performance in to the league or let it get under the skin. There will be other big European nights at some point and maybe last night will be the basis of development for going 1 better next opportunity.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/08/2022 at 8:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    He was woeful tonight. The more I see of him, the worse I think he is.
    Previously I thought he was awful/ excellent in equal measure, but now it's more 70/30 or even 80/20.
    Whenever he does something good now I think he's usually just got lucky.
    He takes a lot of risky decisions on the ball. When it comes off for him he looks amazing with his athleticism and power. But more often than not he screws up.
    Too inconsistent and way too many mistakes to be a top-end LOI player imo.
    agree on all that. he was as wasteful with the ball away from home too. just no where near the kind of player rovers/any challenger want IMO. he reminds me a bit of colm horgan , athletic but not very good with the ball but at least horgan could make the right decision once in a while.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Actually thought it was far better having the singing section there. Don't know why it just worked.
    They put on a great display, no doubt about that. I thought they were fantastic all game. In my head a singing section just always seem to naturally belong behind the goal. It can convey the atmosphere to the TV audience and I think it can benefit the team actually. A raucous stand behind a goal can sometimes help as it can make opposition defenders and goalkeepers a bit nervy (they're only human after all) and can have an influence on refs too. It's all part of your home advantage - that raucous support behind a goal.
    There's a mad stat from a few years back about the amount of penos Liverpool were awarded in front of the kop versus the amount they conceded. It was ridiculous over a long time period. And this was before Klopps time so they were nothing like the supreme outfit they are these days dominating teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Pats scored two goals in four games in Europe - which also included 30 minutes of extra time. Dire finishing cost them. They really messed up on a night which, if they'd managed not to lose, would have been the greatest moment in their history.
    On the terrible referee, similar to the Rovers game, we're getting to the point where almost every foul is punished by a yellow card. Ir's just ridiculous at this point.
    Yep. Lack of finishing has really been costing us this season. There have been plenty of games where the result has got away because we spurned chances. We are crying out for someone to put the ball in the net. Don’t know about really messed up, because we did play well after the first 15 minutes or so. The penalty decision still stings though. I wasn’t sure having seen it live, but thought it probably was, but having seen it back I’m convinced we were done by the ref. Was just as much a handball by their player, and it came off him first, so never a pen. Ah well. Crucial that we bounce back on Sunday now.

Page 85 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast