Page 89 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2308

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

  1. #1761
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    546
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    Objectively speaking from an LOI perspective would it be a good thing for Rangers to qualify from the group stages? I would think so.

    Scotland being a top 8 league and consistently having UCL money coming into their league means that in turn it could end up here via transfer fees in a trickle down affect.

    Obviously the impact would be fairly negligible in the short term. But basically a strong English and Scottish leagues could help us improve assuming that we can sort out the issues in terms of contract release clauses.
    I think that's a pretty weak argument to be honest.

    The smaller the gap between British and Irish football the better IMO. As whetrhr we like it to not, it's the yardstick by which we inevitably get measured. So there is no genuine benefit to us in our neighbours to the East being much better.

  2. #1762
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    546
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Our team will respond like lions to this provocation
    Like Three Lions, perhaps ?

  3. #1763
    First Team ger121's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,458
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    248
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    477
    Thanked in
    273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    “Shamrock Rovers represent unpleasant, British style, physical football" says Ferencváros‘a sporting director!!!

    https://mobile.twitter.com/ulloi129/...65216492068864
    I suppose it is an improvement on being called evil, in the last round. God knows what they’ll be accused of in the Group Stages.

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #1764
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    16,132
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    998
    Thanked in
    811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    He moved to the Claddagh Ring in Hendon, though not sure if he is still there. Was in Tl.
    Ya that's what i thought.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  6. #1765
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    1,547
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    96
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    155
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Interesting looking at Bødo-Glimt's stadium tonight, has a capacity of 8,250 and now meets UEFA category 4 standards thanks to a new 2,000-seater stand after receiving a derogation for last year's campaign - you've guessed it, a mixture of investment between the club and the municipal council!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspmyra_Stadion

  7. #1766
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    16,132
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    998
    Thanked in
    811 Posts
    Good article today about that exact thing by cummiskey in the Irish times. Even pointing to ludogorets about capacity not being the main thing https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...the-dark-ages/

    Sidenote the watt has his fingers in many pies. Will he bridge the gap between health and government. Could be a good soccer/sport story to come out of that
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  8. #1767
    Seasoned Pro legendz's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    2,876
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    239
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Are Rovers better off in the Conference League? 3rd in the Europa group stage will take on second in the Conference group stage in the playoff before the round of 16.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity seems lost somewhere in between for new clubs/regions to become part of LoI family.

  9. #1768
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    35,559
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,158
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,258
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Are you trying to work out which group will be easier to qualify from?

    I don't think it's pessimistic to suggest that's getting way ahead of yourself

  10. #1769
    Seasoned Pro brendy_éire's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up the town, Derry
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    274
    Thanked in
    198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are you trying to work out which group will be easier to qualify from?

    I don't think it's pessimistic to suggest that's getting way ahead of yourself
    Or in terms of picking up a few points?

    Hard one to call. There's a bit more cash on offer in the EL, but being realistic, you would expect to lose every game.
    The ECL would more likely have a team in the group you could expect to take points off. Still not enough to qualify out of the group, mind.

    By way of comparison, Ludogorets got two points in last year's EL group stage. The lowest third placed team had six points.
    Have you ever won the treble?

  11. #1770
    First Team joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    2,301
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    183
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    281
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    We’re running out of winnable games and with Rovers and Pats away after this I suppose we have to look at tomorrows game as one,can’t see us get anything though,we’re just not good enough….

    *edit ,I’ve posted this in the wrong thread,could somebody move it?
    Last edited by joey B; 18/08/2022 at 1:54 PM.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

  12. #1771
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    546
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    552
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    We’re running out of winnable games and with Rovers and Pats away after this I suppose we have to look at tomorrows game as one,can’t see us get anything though,we’re just not good enough….
    There's obviously never a good time for a team to be performing badly. But with the fundraiser for the stadium, Harps could obviously have really done with a better vibe/results around the place

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #1772
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    16,132
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    998
    Thanked in
    811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Or in terms of picking up a few points?

    Hard one to call. There's a bit more cash on offer in the EL, but being realistic, you would expect to lose every game.
    The ECL would more likely have a team in the group you could expect to take points off. Still not enough to qualify out of the group, mind.

    By way of comparison, Ludogorets got two points in last year's EL group stage. The lowest third placed team had six points.
    wouldnt a laddered affect be better? Build on something, get the experience and learn from it and use it for the following year. Steady increments. Building up co-effs.

    I don't think theres any point any Irish team going into a group where the goal or aim is to limit the number of goals scored against them, which is what the EL would realistically be.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  15. #1773
    Reserves pateen's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    658
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    50
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are you trying to work out which group will be easier to qualify from?

    I don't think it's pessimistic to suggest that's getting way ahead of yourself
    I'm asking the same question, in terms of winable games and prize money?

  16. #1774
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    35,559
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,158
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,258
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    I'm asking the same question, in terms of winable games and prize money?
    That's certainly a more reasonable question.

    I can't find this year's prize money online for some reason; maybe someone else can?

    Last year (when the ECL was also about), EL group stage qualification was €3.63m, and each point was €210k (here). The Conference League seems to be €2.94m for the group stages, and €167k per point (here).

    So let's say they get to EL groups and get one point - that's €3.84m. Five points in the ECL is worth €3.77m - so you'd be looking at 5/6 ECL points as being equal to 1 EL point, purely in terms of prize money. And ignoring extra gate receipts which you might get in the EL from presumably higher-profile opponents.

  17. #1775
    Seasoned Pro brendy_éire's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up the town, Derry
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    274
    Thanked in
    198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    wouldnt a laddered affect be better? Build on something, get the experience and learn from it and use it for the following year. Steady increments. Building up co-effs.

    I don't think theres any point any Irish team going into a group where the goal or aim is to limit the number of goals scored against them, which is what the EL would realistically be.
    Wouldn't be great, I agree. Though to extend that argument, are Rovers best ensuring that they lose tonight? Very much head over heart stuff, if so.
    Have you ever won the treble?

  18. #1776
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,388
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    167
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    753
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's certainly a more reasonable question.

    I can't find this year's prize money online for some reason; maybe someone else can?

    Last year (when the ECL was also about), EL group stage qualification was €3.63m, and each point was €210k (here). The Conference League seems to be €2.94m for the group stages, and €167k per point (here).

    So let's say they get to EL groups and get one point - that's €3.84m. Five points in the ECL is worth €3.77m - so you'd be looking at 5/6 ECL points as being equal to 1 EL point, purely in terms of prize money. And ignoring extra gate receipts which you might get in the EL from presumably higher-profile opponents.
    The other reason why conference league could be better result is two wins and a draw in Conference league would equate to 5 extra coefficient points for Rovers giving us a club coefficient next year of 14 which would almost be enough to be seeded in the second round Champions league next year. (assuming you won the first round).

    On balance i think other than the potential for a money spinning game against Man Utd or Arsenal (1 in 4 chance) in EL or West ham 1 in 8 chance in Conference which could be worth a chunk of change while having the revolting sight of Irish people coming to cheer against an Irish team the Conference is better for Rovers.

    I'm never going to be able to wish Rovers lose so im basically ambivalent tonight

  19. #1777
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,388
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    167
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    753
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Team announced 5:30 pm kick off
    Manus
    Lyons, Grace, Cleary, Hoare, Gannon.
    Kavanagh, o Neill, Watts
    Gaffney, Greene

    The bench shows our problem over the next 11 weeks...
    8 players with only Byrne (injured) and Towell and Farrugia that could be called senior Pros.
    Would love to see Michael Leddy come on, been watching him since under 13s for Rovers, i could be wrong but i think he has been top scorer at every age group for us since then...think he's 17 now. Time for some of the kids to show what they can do maybe
    Last edited by sbgawa; 18/08/2022 at 3:44 PM.

  20. #1778
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    16,132
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    998
    Thanked in
    811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Wouldn't be great, I agree. Though to extend that argument, are Rovers best ensuring that they lose tonight? Very much head over heart stuff, if so.
    Maybe not tonight, but I think so overall, but if they beat them over the two legs then they'll have justified their place.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  21. #1779
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    16,132
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    998
    Thanked in
    811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's certainly a more reasonable question.

    I can't find this year's prize money online for some reason; maybe someone else can?

    Last year (when the ECL was also about), EL group stage qualification was €3.63m, and each point was €210k (here). The Conference League seems to be €2.94m for the group stages, and €167k per point (here).

    So let's say they get to EL groups and get one point - that's €3.84m. Five points in the ECL is worth €3.77m - so you'd be looking at 5/6 ECL points as being equal to 1 EL point, purely in terms of prize money. And ignoring extra gate receipts which you might get in the EL from presumably higher-profile opponents.
    So what youre saying is, if you get to the group stage and you dont win a game it actually costs you money. And each game effectively costing you a lot of money.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  22. #1780
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    16,132
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    998
    Thanked in
    811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    On balance i think other than the potential for a money spinning game against Man Utd or Arsenal (1 in 4 chance) in EL or West ham 1 in 8 chance in Conference which could be worth a chunk of change while having the revolting sight of Irish people coming to cheer against an Irish team the Conference is better for Rovers.
    I really dont think West Ham would be a big draw, and moving it to the aviva wouldnt really make much sense to get well beaten and only a few thousand more.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 89 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 FIFA World Cup
    By BonnieShels in forum World Cup
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09/06/2022, 2:53 PM
  2. 2022 season tickets
    By Foot.ie in forum St Patrick's Athletic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26/11/2021, 6:50 PM
  3. Membership 2022
    By Foot.ie in forum Bohemians
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04/11/2021, 3:10 PM
  4. Comparison of Irish clubs in Europe versus Scottish clubs in Europe
    By Dodge in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 324
    Last Post: 14/09/2011, 8:18 AM
  5. Shels in Europe vs Cork City in Europe
    By harry crumb in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12/01/2005, 3:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •