Page 86 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Fair play to you Saint supporters on here for being so calm and level headed about last night. I was apoplectic after that match - and I was there just as a neutral LOI supporter. The ref was dire and shafted Pats all night. Anyone know where he was from?
    I wonder is it a common thing that European refs have an idea in their head that a LOI team will just be a bunch of long ball mullockers with little technical ability who go in too hard for challenges?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Fair play to you Saint supporters on here for being so calm and level headed about last night. I was apoplectic after that match - and I was there just as a neutral LOI supporter. The ref was dire and shafted Pats all night. Anyone know where he was from?
    I wonder is it a common thing that European refs have an idea in their head that a LOI team will just be a bunch of long ball mullockers with little technical ability who go in too hard for challenges?
    He was Romanian I think. The free leading up to the penalty decision was so awful that I don't see in any way possible how it was given. Penalty in real time wasnt that clear but the replay looks very like the CSKA player hadled the ball first. Ref basically fell for every trick in the book from CSKA and how there was only 4 minutes of injury time was ridiculous with the amount of time wasting, the penalty decision and the substitutes.

Very frustrating not to go through aside from the Ref, Breslin and O'Reilly really should have finished at least on of their chances each. Real lack of clinical finishing from our players all season.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I thought the ref was grand for about an hour to be honest. Lost control a bit after that, O'Reilly was a bit unlucky with his yellow, Grivosti was asking for it, he had an earlier tackle very similar to the one he got booked for, it's a style of tackle I hate to see, diving in and off the ground, even if it's not two footed and contacts ball first it's dangerous and it stands out a mile in the modern game. The free in the lead up to the peno was bizarre, not sure if ref or lino called it but it made no sense. The pen itself looked fair, I didn't spot the CSKA handball at the time and neither did the commentary team. Pat's had more than enough chances to have won on the night, apart from the actual goal and the pen CSKA maybe had two other chances, Pat's had at least 2 absolute sitters, two more excellent chances and a few more half chances. O'Reilly was very impressive for the most part, but he's clearly not a natural finisher and I'm not sure how Breslin managed to actually nearly kill all the pace on the ball when any kind of solid connection was a certain goal. It's been all too common with league of Ireland teams over the years to put in decent performances but miss key chances and give up cheap goals, it was the stereotypical performance unfortunately. Hopefully a huge learning experience for them though and they'll be better for it if they make it back to Europe next season.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Is it the ref or the 4th official that adds time these days? There was a proposal for the clock to be stopped similar to rugby rather than add time. Not sure id like that idea but there definitely needs to be something done. It was Skhupi's time wasting that allowed Rovers the opportunity to get a late 3rd and domestically last week Derry were undone by the added time for time wasting. Maybe just stricter application of the existing rules is enough!?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Potentially could be something in that. We all know LOI refs are bad at the best of times but comparing the cards this season, Pats have had 38 yellows and 0 reds in 24 games, compared to 12 yellows and 2 reds in 4 games in Europe. The average of 1.5 cards a game in the league going up to 3.5 in europe shows a clear difference in refereeing style/standards when you consider some of the shocking decisions and bookings handed out in the European games this season. Mark Doyle's red card being one of the worst ones. To me it seems Mura and CSKA being experienced European sides, applied all the cynical tactics they could to get opposition players booked and the referees just bought it in each of the 4 games
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 12/08/2022 at 11:13 AM.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Potentially could be something in that. We all know LOI refs are bad at the best of times but comparing the cards this season, Pats have had 38 yellows and 0 reds in 24 games, compared to 12 yellows and 2 reds in 4 games in Europe. The average of 1.5 cards a game in the league going up to 3.5 in europe shows a clear difference in refereeing style/standards when you consider some of the shocking decisions and bookings handed out in the European games this season. Mark Doyle's red card being one of the worst ones. To me it seems Mura and CSKA being experienced European sides, applied all the cynical tactics they could to get opposition players booked and the referees just bought it in each of the 4 games
    while the standard of referring in LOI is poor the standard in the Eastern block is worse. Coupled with that players are always play acting, diving and any other skulduggery to win frees, penos and generally waste time. It's ironic that a fellow commarade from a neighbouring country was in charge and fell for the antics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    while the standard of referring in LOI is poor the standard in the Eastern block is worse. Coupled with that players are always play acting, diving and any other skulduggery to win frees, penos and generally waste time. It's ironic that a fellow commarade from a neighbouring country was in charge and fell for the antics.
    Are some League of Ireland clubs too green when it comes to the dark arts etc.?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Are some League of Ireland clubs too green when it comes to the dark arts etc.?

Some. Stephen Kenny's Dundalk were masters of the dark arts.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    We learned the hard way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I cant remember who against but Dundalk were described as a typically British physical side, or maybe it was not a typically British side!?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I cant remember who against but Dundalk were described as a typically British physical side, or maybe it was not a typically British side!?
    I think it was on the 2016 run one of the opposing coaches said they were NOT a typical British side, which was lauded as a great compliment at the time. May have been the Alkmar manager. I can't remember exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Yeah I think you could be right that it was the Alkmaar coach, meant as a compliment but caused some gurning at the British reference. It would imply that that is the attitude and refs could well be expecting a physical approach.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Cracking atmosphere at Tallaght last night. The result aside, you'd expect that pretty much everyone there had a good evening out and it was a decent ad for LOI football. They announced near the end about Pats' game against Sligo on Sunday at Richmond Park, and you can't help but feel that any interested/curious newbies who enjoyed last night will find Richmond a very different experience. Especially as they'll presumably got from a crowd of almost 7,000 to one of about 2,000 (?). It goes to show the difference a good stadium makes when it comes to a big game and the matchday experience.

The ref was woeful last night. I don't know if they have assessors at all European fixtures, but he really was terrible. That said, as we all know Pats had enough chances to win it. CSKA were poor. A collection of individuals who looked like they'd never played together before, and who kept making silly unforced errors with sloppy passes etc. Not a single stand-out player in their squad either. I'll be stunned if they make the group stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Originally Posted by lofty9

[COLOR=#333333]

If the FAI introduce VAR into the LOI and are looking for some retired Refs to do it they should check on Stephen O Donnells availability.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Watched the highlights of the Zagreb ludogrets 2nd leg there, where Ludo had 3 men sent off.
    The refs "performance" in that game was buttimer bad, and I don't say that lightly. It was so bad you'd have to question the ethics of some of the decisions made against Ludo. As much as I enjoyed the look on the face of Dutch spanner in goal for Ludo, some of the decisions were bordering on corrupt.

Have a feeling we'll see one of Ludo or CSKA in Tallaght again this year.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Watched the highlights of the Zagreb ludogrets 2nd leg there, where Ludo had 3 men sent off.
    The refs "performance" in that game was buttimer bad, and I don't say that lightly. It was so bad you'd have to question the ethics of some of the decisions made against Ludo. As much as I enjoyed the look on the face of Dutch spanner in goal for Ludo, some of the decisions were bordering on corrupt.

Have a feeling we'll see one of Ludo or CSKA in Tallaght again this year.
    Watching the Pats game last night you couldn't but help feel WTF is going on here with the match officials
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    With the LoI now up to 36th in the co-efficient, where does it need to be to guarantee seedings in first-round draws - 32nd?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Originally Posted by lofty9

[COLOR=#333333]

If the FAI introduce VAR into the LOI and are looking for some retired Refs to do it they should check on Stephen O Donnells availability.
    What are ye on about, Stephen O'Donnell doesnt need assistance or video to referee a game!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    What are ye on about, Stephen O'Donnell doesnt need assistance or video to referee a game!!
    Greg Bolger is another that will no doubt hang up the boots soon and go full time with the refereeing rather than just doing it while he plays
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Page 86 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast