Page 116 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post

Also the fact that with the squad Rovers have they are only 1 point on top of the LOI (I know they have games in hand, but still the fact that with 8 games left the league isn’t done and dusted already) speaks volumes. And I find most bizarre is the lack of ambition from the fans or coaching staff, it’s like they could turn Rovers into another Dundalk and make history in Europe but are happy to settle for the bare minimum in Europe and not bother fixing glaring issues they have because they are winning the LOI which considering their squad shouldn’t be the holy grail, they should see that as an expectation but wins in Europe as the holy grail.
    Hard to tell if this is trolling or not but the entire strategy at Rovers is to ensure Rovers DON'T turn into another Dundalk with nothing to show for their European exploits. It's a strategy of growth over a number years with winning the League always the first and most important priority.

Win the League, improve seeding in CL qualifiers, give ourselves a chance to go further in CL/EL with ECL group qualification as the fallback. All while investing in the academy, improving the squad, growing attendances and the club year-on-year, plus learning lessons from each year's European experience to take forward.

Burning brightly and fading away ala Dundalk is not the plan, no guarantee that won't happen but the strategic long term planning at Rovers, on and off the pitch, gives us a decent shot. Dan Cleary slipping or fans of other clubs getting their knickers in a twist won't change that.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Hard to tell if this is trolling or not but the entire strategy at Rovers is to ensure Rovers DON'T turn into another Dundalk with nothing to show for their European exploits. It's a strategy of growth over a number years with winning the League always the first and most important priority.

Win the League, improve seeding in CL qualifiers, give ourselves a chance to go further in CL/EL with ECL group qualification as the fallback. All while investing in the academy, improving the squad, growing attendances and the club year-on-year, plus learning lessons from each year's European experience to take forward.

Burning brightly and fading away ala Dundalk is not the plan, no guarantee that won't happen but the strategic long term planning at Rovers, on and off the pitch, gives us a decent shot. Dan Cleary slipping or fans of other clubs getting their knickers in a twist won't change that.
    I can’t but echo all the comments above and add that we learned some harsh lessons post 2011 as our board then didn’t have the strategic acumen added to a very conservative approach to how to use the money/ position we were in then.

We went through a few poor seasons until Robinson/McPhail/Bradley produced a long term plan that the board had the good sense to support and that has crystallised in our current stable position……. Dundalk are today similar to where we were in 2012 without a decent stadium….. so they’ve a long road to travel ( even if they have the capacity/finance) to catch up…. So the real question is whether Dundalk and others can turn themselves into Rovers
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 21/09/2022 at 6:22 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Everyone said in advance that the situation with Peak 6 at Dundalk would end in tears (and were greeted with exuberant accusations of jealousy by quite a few Dundalk fans, giddy at the idea of millions being 'invested' in their club). U.S. Venture Capitalists don't get involved in Irish football for any reason other than to make money. And on a timescale no greater than the medium-term. So it was always going to end in tears - the only question being how quickly and how badly.

In contrast I don't recall anyone genuinely questioning the Rovers model on here so far ? It's completely different, makes much more sense, and appears to be delivering results. They could obviously still make some poor choices and feck it all up. But the difference between the Rovers and Dundalk approaches is that the latter was guaranteed to go wrong, whereas it's in Rovers' hands to not feck it up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    All valid points made on the subject of the difference between the Rovers and dundalk models.
    As a Rovers fan, I'm prepared for the fact that once Bradley goes there's a fair chance it will take us maybe 2yrs to win the league again, but the structures of the club now is such that I'd be confident that any short term lack of success wont hobble the club and it hopefully wouldnt take long to get back to success.
    Derry have the millions to compete with Rovers and a chairman who is a fan not a hard nosed investor so they should be Rovers main opponents for the next few years. I still believe that O'Donnell has the makings of being a very good manager but he's in his infancy in management still so learning the hard way but if dundalk keep faith in him they could still challenge the Rovers Derry duopoly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Just hearing now about some of the rovers fans on their trip to Belgium that attacked and stabbed a local bar manager. Absolute vermin.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/socc...roken-25098011
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Some Knacks, thats terrible
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Rovers fans really are the Millwall of Ireland at times

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Scumbags. Good to to hear the main ***** was arrested at least. Hope he's jailed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers under-19s finished out their UEFA Youth League campaign with a 1-1 home draw against AZ Alkmaar yesterday.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Shamrock Rovers under-19s finished out their UEFA Youth League campaign with a 1-1 home draw against AZ Alkmaar yesterday.
    Good result, I wonder was it a weaker AZ team after winning the tie in the first leg or if they just took the foot off the gas with no pressure on. Either way it’s still an impressive result for an Irish youth side against a Dutch one
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Good result, I wonder was it a weaker AZ team after winning the tie in the first leg or if they just took the foot off the gas with no pressure on. Either way it?s still an impressive result for an Irish youth side against a Dutch one
    az left a few at home from the first game alright. combo of that and being 5-0 up probably helped rovers. regardless a good few of them play with the II team so they've first team experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Went for a 3-0 scoreline in the UEFA ECL Predictor League. Be nice to be wrong but Molde are very good, won 11 straight in the league and Rovers just can?t seem to stay in these away games long enough against ?better? opposition to keep the match alive. The only hope for them is that Molde have not be as good in Europe in their first two games and maybe that is a trend that might continue. Also Rovers were very good the other night away to Sligo and if they can play like that again, who knows, they may make a game of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Many travel over for today's match?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    If Rovers happen to go behind, can they stay in the game? The 3 previous tough away games have been a case of Groundhog Day.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Looking at the team you?d imagine the league is their priority

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Many travel over for today's match?
    There's a lot less noise from when the draw was made...

At 6s and 7s here again. Poor defending
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Rovers go behind away from home. Can they now stay in the game?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    And I?m not even watching the rest of the match.

How people on here continue to defend the indefensible I find astounding, We have now witness 3 absolutely atrocious defensive performances on the road and now not even 10 minutes into this one and that?s the way they defend? They keep saying they?ve learnt their lessons but have they, it?s the same shot on a different day?It wasn?t even that good an attack, even basic defending would have been enough to stop that but sadly Rovers are incapable of even that it seems.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Rovers go behind away from home. Can they now stay in the game?
    I think we all know how this dance goes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Looking at the team you?d imagine the league is their priority
    I think that's as it should be . Give Byrne Burke gaffney 30 mins if the game is still alive later
    Last edited by sbgawa; 06/10/2022 at 6:07 PM.