Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I saw only the first half of rovers but what I read on rte it sounded like a very different game to what I watched. Rov rs were in total control and shkupi looked extremely limited. What happened ?
    Burke and McCann went off injured and we lost our shape for a while. Subs took too long to settle and they were pulling us around and finding space, particularly in midfield. Then they made a mess of it by getting a lad sent off. He probably should have already been off to be honest but it did them in and we dominated from there.

Alan Mannus still the best in the country thankfully.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    *(on which note - where is a good place to park near Tallaght Stadium to make it easy to get to the M50 quickly after a game ? I don't want to park in The Square and spend forever trying to get out).
    I park in the Square but always avoid the main entrance to the square and the main car parks. Go to the lower car park (that's nearest the M50) beside Argos. It has a different entrance and allows you to get in and get our far quicker.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I park in the Square but always avoid the main entrance to the square and the main car parks. Go to the lower car park (that's nearest the M50) beside Argos. It has a different entrance and allows you to get in and get our far quicker.
    Good tip - thanks. Where's the entrance to it ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    This could obviously all blow up in our face in the second leg but have to say I was encouraged by how limited Sofia looked in terms of creating chances. They were awfully reliant on just lumping crosses in (even if their play up to that point was much slicker than ours), which when you've the likes of Redmond, Grivosti and even Cotter tucking in you'd rather be defending against.

Just delighted we've such a foothold going into next week. Haven't got fond memories of European ties in Tallaght (player protests, Legal Warsaw spring to mind) but hopefully we can make another big night happen.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Good tip - thanks. Where's the entrance to it ?
    As you're driving along the N81 towards Tallaght stadium, don't drive as far as the stadium, turn right onto the r113. Then take a left at the 1st roundabout, and again take the 1st left at the next roundabout. Now you're on the Belgrade Square S road. Take the 1st right turn off that and you're in the car park.

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    Is there an explanation as to why rte decided not to show the shamrock rovers game?

it is likely to be the more competitive (ie evenly matched) of the 3, not to mention a better chance for a victory (no offence to sligo or pats) and a feel good story for an irish club... in the preview for the shamrock rovers game they give the details and its a bit jarring after hyping up the match, they are not even showing it but instead the pats away leg (no offense to pats fans who im sure are happy its accessible). Is it a rights thing?
    its also europa league still and not the lesser billing of ECL
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...gerous-shkupi/
    Turns out they picked the most competitive tie after all!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Great result for us last night, and especially the manner of the third goal after all the time-wasting the keeper did (and what a strike!) The tie is far from over yet, though, Bradley rightly being cautious after their second half display when they battered us for long spells.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Rovers now need to do something they have not done so far this year. Score away from home. They could do with Byrne and Burke next week.
    Bradley said both should be fit buy McCann is a doubt, which given how he's been playing might be the biggest loss of all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well done Pats and Rovers. The Pats result in particular was well-deserevd, but very unexpected. It spurred me to get a ticket for the home game next Thursday* Hard luck Sligo, but they're genuinely not a European-quality team and have been blessed up to this point in the competition.

*(on which note - where is a good place to park near Tallaght Stadium to make it easy to get to the M50 quickly after a game ? I don't want to park in The Square and spend forever trying to get out).
    There's a car park in the Lidl/Woodies across the road but I don't know if it'd be open that late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Great night for Pats. Wobbly but job done from Rovers. Poor aul Sligo, especially after last week's heroics. Past few weeks overall have been a great ad for the LoI, IMO.
    Pat's performance last evening was the best advertisement for the League of Ireland. The only problem is that the public might not have been tuning in to RTÉ News.

Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Shkupi kind of doing a Rovers there at the end.
    Good for Rovers to benefit from a late goal for a change. Hopefully they've finally learned their lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So Bert has updated - we're up to 38th, having passed out Lithuania and Luxembourg tonight. Bosnia and Finland are a full win (0.250) ahead of us. HJK have one foot in the Conference League groups after today, so there's still plenty to play for.

Credit to Dundee United beating Alkmaar tonight, and to Viking Reykjavik beating Lech Poznan
    I don't get too caught up in coefficients. What's the next highest ranking to gain anything from?

Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    You'd have said that before tonight's game but they never even came close.
    True. After tonight's defeat for them though, there will be a reaction. Most likely they'll score at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    This could obviously all blow up in our face in the second leg but have to say I was encouraged by how limited Sofia looked in terms of creating chances. They were awfully reliant on just lumping crosses in (even if their play up to that point was much slicker than ours), which when you've the likes of Redmond, Grivosti and even Cotter tucking in you'd rather be defending against.

Just delighted we've such a foothold going into next week. Haven't got fond memories of European ties in Tallaght (player protests, Legal Warsaw spring to mind) but hopefully we can make another big night happen.
    Pat's can take all the credit for how limited Sofia were on the night. The conditioning of the Pat's players seems to be of a high level. A lot of their players on last night's viewing would easily transition to Championship football across the water.
    Pat's performance last night should offer encouragement to the league. On limited resources, they've assembled a team out perform a higher ranked European league opponent.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but over the past couple years of LoI in Europe it feels like Irish teams are less intimdated than they used to be and that the football is more expansive and ambitious. That was certainly the case for Pat's last night -- they dominated CSKA for long periods, were hungrier for the ball, and fairly fearless. Brilliant to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The underage leagues are really working plus a higher standard of overseas player. They're used to playing good football and it doesn't faze them but they have the tactical knowledge to sit in too. Helps you've had managers like Kenny, Bradley, Clancy, Higgins and Russell who believe in a European style of football.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    The mentality is different too. Seems like, in general, back in the day (obvious exceptions aside) LoI teams were psychologically beaten and cowed before a ball was kicked, no matter how lowly the opposition. They would lose matches without even giving it a go. Feels like that's no longer the case.. Loi teams may (and will) get beaten, but they will give it a real go, playing proper football.. which is really all you can ask for.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The young lads don't think the other guys are better than them, you're right. They have confidence in spades.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Lads, have the LOI ever reach 10 point mark in the co-efficient (we at 9.125 down i think, up to 38th placed) but if you go to 2024 in bert kassies page, we are up to 33rd as of now - the aim which is tough is to reach the 10 point mark this year!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Lads, have the LOI ever reach 10 point mark in the co-efficient (we at 9.125 down i think, up to 38th placed) but if you go to 2024 in bert kassies page, we are up to 33rd as of now - the aim which is tough is to reach the 10 point mark this year!
    So you're asking for 3 more wins and a draw this year...
    That's a very big ask I'd say. There's still every chance our 3 teams remaining could all lose convincingly next week.
    I've seen too many terrible LOI summers in Europe to ever get optimistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post

Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Highest ever was 9.541

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    That's a very big ask I'd say. There's still every chance our 3 teams remaining could all lose convincingly next week.
    I've seen too many terrible LOI summers in Europe to ever get optimistic.
    Are the qualifiers half points and Conference League full points?
    Pat's could draw next week. Rovers can win next week. Do Rovers then need to win 1 or 2 games in a group stage?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Not necessarily - Rovers have a handy enough run of games even if Sligo/Pat's lose. Even if they lose to Shkupi next week but go through, and then lose home and away in the play-off, they're still in the Conference groups and results there are worth double.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not necessarily - Rovers have a handy enough run of games even if Sligo/Pat's lose. Even if they lose to Shkupi next week but go through, and then lose home and away in the play-off, they're still in the Conference groups and results there are worth double.
    Fair point. I hasn't considered that group stage results are worth more.