Page 63 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Great Graph! Would love to see it compared to other leagues for reference.

If you remove the outlying 2008 season, the gap between First and Second would look very consistent from 2001 to 2014. The gap only consistently widens from the 2015 season onwards, with a seemingly upward permanent trend.

Does anybody have a theory as to why this sudden, yet permanent change? From 2015 to 2021, (7 seasons) there have been three different winners (Dundalk, Cork and Rovers). So it is not like just one club changed everything. The league did change from a 12 team league to 10 in 2018... I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    Aside from changes to the league format, it would be interesting to see when there was an increase in European participation money and if there is any correlation with this and league trend.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Klaksvik are no mugs if Rovers do end up playing them,they beat Bodo 3-1 in the second leg after losing the away leg 3-0.had them in fits and were really unlucky not to take them to extra time......
    As happy as I was to see Zagreb beat Ludogorets (and their keeper score an OG) it doesn't bode all that well for the Skhupi tie either.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    mod edit - moved player discussions to new thread as requested

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Shooting them is probably a bit OTT alright but some heads will have to roll if they don't at least make the Conference group stages.
    Maybe just a knee-capping? Though that would leave them playing like UCD.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 03/08/2022 at 11:43 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Good to hear this kind of talk, it's an acknowledgement they're too slow to get going and showing too much respect
    "We have to respect them but like in any game, we have to impose our style and our presence on the game as soon as possible"
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

8. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Is there an explanation as to why rte decided not to show the shamrock rovers game?

it is likely to be the more competitive (ie evenly matched) of the 3, not to mention a better chance for a victory (no offence to sligo or pats) and a feel good story for an irish club... in the preview for the shamrock rovers game they give the details and its a bit jarring after hyping up the match, they are not even showing it but instead the pats away leg (no offense to pats fans who im sure are happy its accessible). Is it a rights thing?
    its also europa league still and not the lesser billing of ECL
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...gerous-shkupi/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    Is there an explanation as to why rte decided not to show the shamrock rovers game?

it is likely to be the more competitive (ie evenly matched) of the 3, not to mention a better chance for a victory (no offence to sligo or pats) and a feel good story for an irish club... in the preview for the shamrock rovers game they give the details and its a bit jarring after hyping up the match, they are not even showing it but instead the pats away leg (no offense to pats fans who im sure are happy its accessible). Is it a rights thing?
    its also europa league still and not the lesser billing of ECL
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...gerous-shkupi/
    If i had to guess id say its cheaper for them to show the Pats away game as they are probably paying buttons for a feed.
    RTE doing an outside broadcast costs a fortune due to the civil service type costs , contracts and work patterns.

To be fair to RTE on the other hand, Virgin are the holders of the rights for the Europa League so they should be answering the question here.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    If i had to guess id say its cheaper for them to show the Pats away game as they are probably paying buttons for a feed.
    RTE doing an outside broadcast costs a fortune due to the civil service type costs , contracts and work patterns.

To be fair to RTE on the other hand, Virgin are the holders of the rights for the Europa League so they should be answering the question here.
    Yeah - presumably the choice is made for them by what the foreign market wants or is doing. Presumably Bulgarian TV is broadcasting it anyway, whilst North Macedonia TV isn't interested (or at least, not at a price that would suit RTÉ)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Dont forget time and cost of hyperbolized health and safety reporting at LoI grounds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

Virgin are probably praying that no Irish team makes the group stages or they'll be forced to show the games.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

OB costs are very high but are nothing to do with 'civil service type costs' (insert massive eyeroll). Each OB is tendered out and done by the private contractor with the most competitive tender. OB costs are the same for similar productions across all broadcasters.

The real reasons will be to do with rights - cost and availability, ability to get into the schedule on a linear channel in prime time, staffing availability (RTÉ has two weeks of full days of European Athletics Champions coverage coming up almost straight after the Women's Euros both of which are staffing intensive), and yes, the OB cost for a game in Ireland.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Virgin are probably praying that no Irish team makes the group stages or they'll be forced to show the games.
    Defintely. Virgin actually angers me - as with all the crap they show they don't even pretend to be an Irish TV channel. It's all shows they've shipped in about English police forces, the Royal Family etc etc.

Don't get me started on Sky News ignoring the fact that it also serves subscribers in Ireland either (even if they did run a specific Irish news programe very briefly about 10yrs ago).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Defintely. Virgin actually angers me - as with all the crap they show they don't even pretend to be an Irish TV channel. It's all shows they've shipped in about English police forces, the Royal Family etc etc.

Don't get me started on Sky News ignoring the fact that it also serves subscribers in Ireland either (even if they did run a specific Irish news programe very briefly about 10yrs ago).
    Don't get me started. I've seen today BBC NIare showing an Irish league game each wee for 5 weeks on the trot. There may even be more and we battle to get 5 a season unkess someone gets into Europe. Yet RTE will show GAA Club games. Its a total farce. Hang your head RTE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

Agreed, Virgin Media should be coming under scrutiny for not supporting Irish football. They have the rights to the Europa League and Europa Conference League. Virgin Media are ignoring the League of Ireland progress.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    I'm sure this has been discussed in previous seasons and the packaged TV rights only start at the group stages, so these qualifiers are sold separately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed in previous seasons and the packaged TV rights only start at the group stages, so these qualifiers are sold separately.
    They actually start with the play-off round hence RTÉ being contractually obliged to show a CL play-off tie. Same presumably would apply to VM with EL & ECL play-off rounds.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    We know the qualifiers are sold separately. It's just unfair to be criticising RTÉ on the Europa and Conference qualifiers when Virgin Media hold the rights to the main event. Virgin Media are communicating that they do not care about Irish football?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Both teams chartered out of knock yesterday. Did pat's have to bus it to knock ? Must be so much cheaper as mura did the same
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    They actually start with the play-off round hence RTÉ being contractually obliged to show a CL play-off tie. Same presumably would apply to VM with EL & ECL play-off rounds.
    That's interesting, I half remember they were changing the rights packages to include the qualifiers, but there was some resistance.

Is it just an extension of the old obligation to broadcast domestic teams (before foreign) in the group stages?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Just seeing there that Shkupi were formed out of a merger between Sloga Jugomagnat and another club - Sloga are the side Shels beat in 2000; retro highlights below. Shels nearly ballsed up the return leg; they were 1-0 up, but in the last ten minutes they conceded an equaliser and then had to clear off the line (which would have seen them out on away goals).

It's the only other time we've played North Macedonian opposition, and was the first time since 1994 that any LoI club had won a round in Europe.

27. Thanks From: