Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Congrats to Sligo as well.

Up the minnows.
    To say Sligo were minnows is a bit harsh. You must remember the standard of LOI football has improved greatly and has caught up with its Scottish counterparts. Except Celtic and Rangers LOI teams could compete with everyone else in the SPL. Therefore this was not an unexpected result for me. One of the greatest ever was Bohs 3 v Rangers 2 back in 1984. I was at it and Bohs were by far the better team. LOI has come on leaps and bounds and results like last night are to be expected now. How far will Sligo and Pat's go?? Who knows, but it won't be long until we have teams in the group stages on a regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    To say Sligo were minnows is a bit harsh. You must remember the standard of LOI football has improved greatly and has caught up with its Scottish counterparts. Except Celtic and Rangers LOI teams could compete with everyone else in the SPL. Therefore this was not an unexpected result for me. One of the greatest ever was Bohs 3 v Rangers 2 back in 1984. I was at it and Bohs were by far the better team. LOI has come on leaps and bounds and results like last night are to be expected now. How far will Sligo and Pat's go?? Who knows, but it won't be long until we have teams in the group stages on a regular basis.
    it got sligo wound up which i suppose is all that matters. fact is sligo have been average by LOI standards for a good while now, this season they have been worse than last. SPL still has better players imo there should be no way sligo can beat motherwell this comfortably over 2 legs after losing the key players theyve lost over the last 8 months. Huge embarrassment for Motherwell whatever way you look at it. Big boost for sligo especially with next year in mind, when dundalk should be back in europe so will have more cash. Helps them stay in touch with that group of teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    SPL heads already moaning about being knocked out by a "pub league" team!
    Unfair comments considering LoI clubs have made the group stages of European competition.
    For LoI clubs, the play-off round is like a European final. Sligo and Pat's are effectively in European qualifier semi-finals.
    Having 3 clubs in round 3 and at least 1 club in the playoffs is great publicity for the league. If the league can consistently have a return like this, it will improve the standing of the league.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    Huge embarrassment for Motherwell whatever way you look at it.
    Yep. If it was the other Rovers, you'd think it was a decent result but not much more than that. But I think even Sligo fans will acknowledge they're crap this year - getting past Bala on penalties, taking two points from three games against UCD...and then beating Motherwell home and away?

That's Motherwell's problem though. The next round against Viking will be interesting and might help answer the question of which is the real Sligo. If it's Bala Sligo, then Viking should win home and away handy enough. If it's Motherwell Sligo, well then you'd have to imagine an upset isn't impossible at all.

Don't think I'd hold out much hope for Pat's in Bulgaria, but feck it, it's a free shot.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    dare to dream about Rovers Pats and sligo getting through the next round which would give us 1 guaranteed group stage particpant and two in play offs.
    Its mad the way European hopes can swing from our league is **** to we are better than we think depending on a couple of results either way.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    it got sligo wound up which i suppose is all that matters. fact is sligo have been average by LOI standards for a good while now, this season they have been worse than last. SPL still has better players imo there should be no way sligo can beat motherwell this comfortably over 2 legs after losing the key players theyve lost over the last 8 months. Huge embarrassment for Motherwell whatever way you look at it. Big boost for sligo especially with next year in mind, when dundalk should be back in europe so will have more cash. Helps them stay in touch with that group of teams.
    the only teams with better players are celtic, rangers, hearts and possibly Aberdeen. All of the rest are comparable with LOI. I've watched quite a few SPL games between the lower teams and don't think I've ever watched a complete one. I believe LOI teams try to play more football rather than hoof and chase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    the only teams with better players are celtic, rangers, hearts and possibly Aberdeen. All of the rest are comparable with LOI. I've watched quite a few SPL games between the lower teams and don't think I've ever watched a complete one. I believe LOI teams try to play more football rather than hoof and chase.
    Have any of the Scottish clubs outside of the Glasgow clubs got a good track record of making the group stages?
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Fantastic result last night for Irish Football. SPL is ranked 9th in Europe... Thats a fair achievement (even if we all understand why its ranked so high).

Sligo is 5th, still able to play a much higher league and win twice is a great endorsement for the depth in the League (There might be a gap between Rovers and the rest, but not much from below to say Harps).

Dan McDonnell did say before the Bala game that Motherwell were there to be got. Pity Sparta lost for Sligo in a way, I would have said that away trip would have been one of the best anyone could have.

Pats result is fantastic too. Also, McDonnell did say they have a chance and they would suit European football. A bit mad the either of the teams might not be in Europe next year. Heres hoping both can do the buisness again.

Am I right in saying it was the same stage Bohs and Dundalk reached last year? Becoming a bit of a norm....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    What a night. Have enough bad days in the showgrounds that you have to enjoy nights like that. Best atmosphere we’ve ever had in there I would say.

Great to see Pats get through as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Have any of the Scottish clubs outside of the Glasgow clubs got a good track record of making the group stages?
    I think Hearts got to the group stages more than 15 years ago.

No one else achieved GS football bar OF clubs.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Great results tonight! Watched the Sligo one, what a show and stellar atmosphere.

Wiki Europa Conference League 2021/22 Prizemoney.
    First qualifying round elimination: €150,000
    Second qualifying round elimination: €350,000
    Third qualifying round elimination: €550,000
    Play-off round elimination: €750,000
    Qualified to Group Stage: €2,950,000

Looks like 200k per round progressed, are these numbers out of date? Heard different figures branded about everywhere about earnings.
    Those figures are correct for the prizemoney but as I understand it there is also a “participation payment” of €100,000 per round. So Sligo now have a guaranteed €850,000 and Pats (who didn’t play the first round) have a guaranteed €750,000. Winning the next round would add another €300,000. This is very serious money but bear in mind that (certainly in Pats’ case) travel costs are exhorbitant as the aviation business is in chaos, and also players and coaches generally have good European bonuses in their contracts.
    Of course the Group Stage money is in a different stratosphere. And the qualification process is specifically designed to give league champions every possible chance of making the Group Stage of at least the Conference League.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Are those figures for winning in the round or participation in the round ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Am I right in saying it was the same stage Bohs and Dundalk reached last year? Becoming a bit of a norm....
    Yeah, it is becoming a bit of a norm. Q3 is becoming the standard expectation, keeping in mind that the qualifiers are fraught with danger.
    The likes of Dundalk can enter Europe with high expectations of Q3, be mindful of the pitfalls and hopefully have a right rattle at making the playoffs.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Are those figures for winning in the round or participation in the round ?
    It’s €100k for each round you participate in. The prizemoney is what you get when you go out.
    If Sligo had gone out to Baha they’d have got a total of €250k. With each subsequent round the prizemoney went up €200k and they got another €100k for participation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Sligo going to Norway will cost a pretty penny too. Norway is one of the most expensive places in the world! Prague would have been a much more affordable place for thirsty fans but it is what it is.
    Norway is still a stunning place to visit and going in summer is the best time to see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Sligo going to Norway will cost a pretty penny too. Norway is one of the most expensive places in the world! Prague would have been a much more affordable place for thirsty fans but it is what it is.
    Norway is still a stunning place to visit and going in summer is the best time to see it.
    Expensive enough trips for both Sligo and Pats fans. Neither place are exactly cost friendly in terms of flights alone.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    We can’t really complain after Wales and Scotland

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Expensive enough trips for both Sligo and Pats fans. Neither place are exactly cost friendly in terms of flights alone.
    Sofia would be cheap once you get there though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Are we looking at the possibility of all 3 teams having to play their next round in Tallaght?
    I know Sligo would have to put a temporary stand in to host the next round but not sure if it’s feasible…
    Jesus if thats the case then you'd hope the town would pull everything out to make that happen.
    I imagine lots of the pubs and restaurants did very well yesterday, add in the spending power of 400 away fans. Things like this mean a lot to the team and town.
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    UEFA generally don’t allow temporary stands but we’re in discussions with them

26. Thanks From: