Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 31 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    That is currently the case in the Moldovan league. The team that played our opponents Mura in the first round was Sfintul Gheorghe from Moldova who finished fourth in their eight team league last season.
    Good spot, though those four teams qualified from what was a ten team league in season 2021/22.

For season 2022/23 it will be an 8 team league, because after last season, only one team was promoted from their "A" league, while two teams were relegated and a third (the team who had finished 9th) were expelled from the league (no idea why).

It will be interesting to see whether they will restore the division to 10 teams after this, or if not, whether UEFA will still permit 4 European entries for 2023/24.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    That is currently the case in the Moldovan league. The team that played our opponents Mura in the first round was Sfintul Gheorghe from Moldova who finished fourth in their eight team league last season.
    Sensible Moldovans cutting their cloth. The League of Ireland seems to care more about the optics of 10 teams than they do about scaling back in numbers in favour of quality and more stringent professional criteria.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Sensible Moldovans cutting their cloth. The League of Ireland seems to care more about the optics of 10 teams than they do about scaling back in numbers in favour of quality and more stringent professional criteria.
    The Premier Division should reduce to 8 with stricter grounds criteria for promotion. Not ideal for sure but some of the grounds being permitted access to the Premier Division are damaging the League of Ireland brand.
    Who exactly is talking about optics? "Damaging the League of Ireland brand"... the average Irish person couldn't tell you the name of the town that Finn Harps play in to say nothing of the fact that they and UCD are probably replaced by Cork and Galway next season anyway. It's pretty close to irrelevant who the bottom couple of teams are in terms of the brand and that's not just an Irish thing.

Have you decided to populate your Super National League Tier 3 from the top down? Eight teams in each of the top two divisions gives you a headstart of three for the next level.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Says the guy who keeps redesigning the League of Ireland to include new teams from random counties like Carlow

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    It a little unusual that someone who is hoping for a team of theirs to join the senior setup, wants a better geographical spread but then also suggest that numbers be cut, even if its just for the top division. For arguments sake, the PL based on support and financial clout would probably most often be Pats, Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk, Derry, Cork Sligo, Galway, give or take a few eg Waterford/Shels. Aside from the drudgery of playing the same sides so often + cup fixtures, its more likely to favour established or traditional power bases than invigorate a league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Actually you're quite correct: contrary to my post #611, last season the league was only 8 teams.

Now for all the European exploits of league perennial winners Sherif Tiraspol, it is ridiculous (imo) that an 8 team league of that standard should be allocated 4 European places.

Especially when one of them, Floresti, were convicted of match-fixing in January and docked 6 points, with all of their 9 remaining matches awarded as a 3-0 win against them. Indeed it seems as if they hadn't won, or even drawn, a single one of their 19 games before then, since the final table had them finishing on -6 points and a GD of -76!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E...ional_Division

Now that's what I call "The Greatest League in the World"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    What?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    couple of hours to kick off and the nerves are kicking in,
    I'm going with

Manus
    Hoare, Pico, Grace 3 centre backs
    Finn and Lyons as wing backs

O Neill and Watts in the middle

Byrne, Burke

Gaffney

according to the weather app it will be around 30 degrees at kick off so i am shocked to my core that they are allowing football to take place in this heat-........i have a part time job in Met Eireann

If bradser is going more defensive and with memories of Talinn maybe dropping Burke and bringing in McCann might make sense especially as burke and Byrne haven't started a match in 5 or 6 weeks at least....impact sub maybe

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    according to the weather app it will be around 30 degrees at kick off so i am shocked to my core that they are allowing football to take place in this heat-........i have a part time job in Met Eireann
    Bring back Winter football ! No to global warming !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It a little unusual that someone who is hoping for a team of theirs to join the senior setup, wants a better geographical spread but then also suggest that numbers be cut, even if its just for the top division. For arguments sake, the PL based on support and financial clout would probably most often be Pats, Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk, Derry, Cork Sligo, Galway, give or take a few eg Waterford/Shels. Aside from the drudgery of playing the same sides so often + cup fixtures, its more likely to favour established or traditional power bases than invigorate a league.
    I personaly would favour a 12 team PD and a 10 team FD. I appreciate that we're currenrly 3 teams light of that, but a 10 team Premier with everyone playing each other 4 times gets a bit tedious (I know that playing each other 3 times brings its own challenges). I also think that a 12 team Premier spreads what limited wealth and support there is within the league around a bit more. The whole idea of going to 10 teams was meant to be to improve the quality of the top tier and make every game more competitive etc etc - but we still have 2 teams who are much weaker than the rest. You usually get 1-2 weak teams regardless of whether its a 10 or 12 team tier, so personally I'd go with 12 and help spread the love around a bit more.

As a aside - if Cork and Galway both come up this year and go all out to stay there, the 2023 PD could be genuinely competitive. If only one come up, then you'd expect whichever of Harps and UCD survive to be odds-on for the drop the next year. Probably along with Drogheda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/...79353426989056

Sligo/Motherwell live on Premier sports next week,lets hope its not a dead rubber......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    One thing about Ludogorets that I noticed looking at their recent results, is they don’t concede. It will be hard to break them down.
    The other thing I saw was that they have been playing 2 games a week. They have another one this weekend and then they have to travel to Dublin, which from the sounds of it was not straight forward for Rovers going the other way. That just might be a positive for Rovers in the 2nd leg.
    I like a bet so if I was putting money on this one, I’d go for a tight enough performance from Rovers based on lessons learned in Bratislava but Ludogorets to edge it 1-0. Then all to play for in Tallaght.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Ludogrets have a direct charter for Dublin so won't be impacted by the circuitous route Rovers had to take to get to Razgrad. As long as we don't get hammered I'll be content enough.
    If I was betting I'd say 2:0 to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Not holding out much hope here. Hopefully keep them at bay or at least within striking distance for this leg. We will create a few chances but it depends who they fall to. I got weirdly confident last night but woke up with a reality check. These are miles ahead of anything we've played in a long time and they aren't really in pre-season. They are up and running and undefeated domestically albeit it after only 2 games. But they won't be as rusty or unfit as Hibernians. Not sure we will be ready for the change in pace. Should be better defensively than last year with Grace fully fit and everybody training at least but we really needed Jack to be at the top of his game for this sort of game.

But Rovers to win 1-0. Why not.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Rovers team for tonight:Mannus; Hoare, Lopes, Grace; Finn, McCann, O'Neill, Lyons; Towell, Watts; Gaffney

Is Towell a suprise starter?
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Maybe a little bit Joey but looks like we are going with only Gaffney up top so he's the obvious pick to add in midfield if we are setting up to contain.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Ludogrets have a direct charter for Dublin so won't be impacted by the circuitous route Rovers had to take to get to Razgrad. As long as we don't get hammered I'll be content enough.
    If I was betting I'd say 2:0 to them.
    and Ive been accused of trying to lower the bar for Dundalk in the past!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    I hope they're not sliced apart at will like Qarabag did to Dundalk a few years back, but I fear they will. Here we go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Rovers under the cosh a little bi already. They need to try to keep a hold of the ball when they get it. Great run by Gaffney just there though.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Rovers are just 5-10 yards too deep here at times. It would be very difficult to last a whole match at that. I'd rather them be slightly braver and move the line up a little bit. Easy to say from my location of n the couch I know.

Page 31 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast