Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Remember it's only a few years ago Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were all in the Scottish championship at the same time too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Remember it's only a few years ago Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were all in the Scottish championship at the same time too.
    Just for one season (2014-15), due to financial meltdowns/shenanigans at 2 of them.

Rather comically, Rangers could only manage a 3rd place finish behind Hearts and Hibs that season. They haven't both finished ahead of Rangers in the Top Tier for decades (if ever - I can't be arsed to check).

It was Scotland's equivalent of Cork, Treaty, Galway and Waterford all being in the First together

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Much guffawing about the Scottish leagues, the Faroe island archipelago with a total population of 50,000+ are currently higher in the rankings than the LOI because their teams have had better results, not just because they have gained a few wins in the preliminaries over the past 5 years. And they have performed with distinction in games where they have earned null points, case in point KI Klaksvik recently losing out to Malmo fc 6-5 on agg in a CL qualifier.
    I’d expect at least 2 more wins for the islanders in Europe this season.

How are they doing this? how is it that the Faroes u21s have earned such good results in their qualifiers, their national senior team are top of the minnows in Europe despite having tiniest population living totally isolated just south of the Arctic in the 2nd harshest climate in Europe?
    How is it their league teams are performing with such distinction in European competition above and beyond what the LOI can manage?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    the Faroe island archipelago with a total population of 50,000+ are currently higher in the rankings than the LOI because their teams have had better results, not just because they have gained a few wins in the preliminaries over the past 5 years.
    Actually it's entirely because of the preliminary round.

Two wins in the EL preliminary in 20/21, two wins and a draw in 19/20, a win and three draws in 18/19 - that's 1.750 in total, and they're 0.125 ahead of us. Plus Pat's got a bye in the Conference League this year which didn't help. And the leagues met in that time, which was a comfortable win for a Dundalk side managed by a glorified summer camp coach.

There's probably things we can take from the league, but it'd start with a proper perspective I think.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The clue is in the name PS.
    Pointless, uncontrollable spouting of noxious rubbish, which is just to be noted and politely ridiculed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    UEFA truly hate us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Much guffawing about the Scottish leagues, the Faroe island archipelago with a total population of 50,000+ are currently higher in the rankings than the LOI because their teams have had better results, not just because they have gained a few wins in the preliminaries over the past 5 years. And they have performed with distinction in games where they have earned null points, case in point KI Klaksvik recently losing out to Malmo fc 6-5 on agg in a CL qualifier.

How are they doing this? how is it that the Faroes u21s have earned such good results in their qualifiers, their national senior team are top of the minnows in Europe despite having tiniest population living totally isolated just south of the Arctic in the 2nd harshest climate in Europe?
    How is it their league teams are performing with such distinction in European competition above and beyond what the LOI can manage?
    You used to bash the LOI with Icelandic endeavours in Europe. Now Iceland are performing poorly in Europe, you’ve now moved on to the Faroese. Who will you turn to next?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    You used to bash the LOI with Icelandic endeavours in Europe. Now Iceland are performing poorly in Europe, you’ve now moved on to the Faroese. Who will you turn to next?
    Samaritans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The Premier Division should reduce to 8 with stricter grounds criteria for promotion. Not ideal for sure but some of the grounds being permitted access to the Premier Division are damaging the League of Ireland brand.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Been in America for the last week so only catching up on stuff now. Article a week old almost now, but an interesting one from Lisa fallon about time the ball is in play, was a factor I hadnt considered when complaining all the time ( especially by gone years where I compared S&C coaches being brought into the GAA and being laughed at here) about Irish sides inability to last the full 90 mins --> https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ter-is-coming/

Refreshing to hear the talk from Bradley since catching up on things, obviously the slovan brazzerslava is one that sits in the memory for him, hopefully he uses that experience well. If they keep the scoreline to 1 goal defeat tonight they will be doing well.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Well someone once said the Nordics are a superior race.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Been in America for the last week so only catching up on stuff now. Article a week old almost now, but an interesting one from Lisa fallon about time the ball is in play, was a factor I hadnt considered when complaining all the time ( especially by gone years where I compared S&C coaches being brought into the GAA and being laughed at here) about Irish sides inability to last the full 90 mins --> https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ter-is-coming/

Refreshing to hear the talk from Bradley since catching up on things, obviously the slovan brazzerslava is one that sits in the memory for him, hopefully he uses that experience well. If they keep the scoreline to 1 goal defeat tonight they will be doing well.
    Good article thanks, had missed that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Just for one season (2014-15), due to financial meltdowns/shenanigans at 2 of them.

Rather comically, Rangers could only manage a 3rd place finish behind Hearts and Hibs that season. They haven't both finished ahead of Rangers in the Top Tier for decades (if ever - I can't be arsed to check).
    Hearts finished 2nd ahead of Rangers in 2006.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    But both Hibs and Hearts?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I feel you are planting seeds here Nesta, planning to throw your harvest at Stephen Bradley's head now if Rovers lose to Ludogorets (as they should). 
    I really am not that calculating, mostly!

Last year Rovers missed an opportunity by setting up conservatively, it was pretty obvious that they were in with a shout of going through and came close in the end when they had to attack. There are times when you cant expect a result but there is always hope. I dont think, and the players are probably on similar track, that you should go in to a game assuming you will lose, or talking about how much better they are.

In a league format, damage limitation could have its merits. In a knockout competition there isnt much point in that unless there is value put in the old Irish moral victory. Things have changed with the away goal being done away, unfortunately meaning many away sides have no will to venture forward. So it would make sense for Rovers not to be in all out attack mode in the first leg away, and keeping the tie alive for the return in Tallaght. But you dont have to play in to opposition hands by removing all fear factor, not using the underestimation of the ability of our clubs (except Sligo, if they were Real Madrid they'd figure out a way to underwhelm in Europe - if opposition ever request tapes for scouting, footage of Sligo should sneakily be swapped in) by not willing to come out and play.

It's cliched but attack can actually be the best form of defence. There are plenty of example where lauded opposition have looked pretty average and yet LoI clubs have sometimes been beaten before a ball is kicked. Likewise we have occasionally gotten results against higher ranked clubs and a bit more often scare the bejaysus out of some giants of the game. I hope Bradley has both learned from last year and to back his team with belief in their ability rather than fear the oppositions.

Im not a Pat Dolan 'everything could be wonderful', but I'm not writing off sides before a ball is kicked. Ask the Dutch and Greek lads from Vitesse and PAOK respectively whether they felt they were in competitive ties last year, i'm sure it was said then that the LoI havent a hope.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 19/07/2022 at 10:23 AM.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Anyone optimistic about Rovers' chances tonight? I fear it'll be a notch too high a standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone optimistic about Rovers' chances tonight? I fear it'll be a notch too high a standard.
    I think our defence will be more than able for them, think Ludo will struggle to score, so nil all is a realistic hope! Id be happy with even a 1 nil loss though, keep the tie alive for Tallaght.

Not so hopeful for scoring against them away to be honest - especially with Burke and Jack Byrne nowhere near match fit after injury. Watts usually steps up for very well in their absence but this side might be too much for him.
    McCann has been fantastic since getting into the team - really helps make us hard to beat esp when level goes up I would say, with his whole career played at Championship/MLS level.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The Premier Division should reduce to 8 with stricter grounds criteria for promotion. Not ideal for sure but some of the grounds being permitted access to the Premier Division are damaging the League of Ireland brand.
    It's not certain that UEFA would permit this, on either or both of two grounds:
    (a ) 28 games (i.e. each team playing each other 4 x times a season) may not be considered sufficient to establish a true champion/championship;
    (b ) You can't really have a league where half the teams qualify for European club competition.

And although Liechtenstein are treated as an exception, if you look eg at Gibraltar, their top league has 11 clubs, while the Faroes' has 10, Wales 12, San Marino 15, Malta 14, NI 12.

I should say that I'm not at all certain about this, and it seems that Andorra currently only has 8 teams in their top league. But as against that, their biggest team, FC Andorra, play in the Spanish system, while Andorra are only granted two European places.

Either way, I'd have to say it would be a bit embarrassing if the ROI could only support 8 teams in its top flight, with one of those actually being from NI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I don't think UEFA would have any problems per se with a 28-game season or 8 teams in the league. The Baltics have had it before I'm fairly sure (often after teams withdraw at the start of the season). Possibly one or two of the Caucasus states too.

That said, the proposal in general is just pointless. If a ground fails licensing, you deny promotion and give it to someone else. You don't reduce the size of the Premier because United Park and Finn Park are tips. And an 8-team Premier would do more damage to the LoI's brand than Finn Park.

Anyways, on topic, and it's hard to see Rovers getting anything tonight. These are the kind of games Ludogorets have been making a living out of for the past decade (six consecutive group stage qualifications). They've not reached the CL groups in six years so they're not invincible - couple of Hungarian sides have knocked them out in recent years. And if you wanted to be optimistic, two points from their last two group stage appearances suggests they're not the force they were. So you never know. But it'd be one of the best results of the past decade if Rovers were to win either game I'd say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    (b ) You can't really have a league where half the teams qualify for European club competition.
    That is currently the case in the Moldovan league. The team that played our opponents Mura in the first round was Sfintul Gheorghe from Moldova who finished fourth in their eight team league last season.

26. Thanks From:

Page 30 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast