Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    From Pro Referees, the official body of the MLS referees, a yellow card is issued when -

That fairly clearly describes the foul last night and "stopping a promising attack) is an added dimension to just a shirt pull. The foul they use an example is very similar to the one last night -

Yellow all day long I'm afraid.

Can't predict Cup finals though - you should know that!
    Jaysus Stu there was no need for the lesson and then the sly dig around cup finals.

I still think it was harsh btw. So there. MLS be damned.

Good luck all the same.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    What's the sly dig? Tonight is a Cup final for us, and everyone knows anything can happen in a Cup final. I'm not predicting nothing.

I think any fan who doesn't know the rules and/or have an interest in learning them kind of waives any right to complain about refereeing decisions. So there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    What's the sly dig? Tonight is a Cup final for us, and everyone knows anything can happen in a Cup final. I'm not predicting nothing.

I think any fan who doesn't know the rules and/or have an interest in learning them kind of waives any right to complain about refereeing decisions. So there.
    "You should know that!" seemed to be a little reference to rovers in cup finals no? I'm very sensitive today. I celebrated that 1-1 like it was a win...in a tournament we could still progress in. Still, we'll take the few bob.

And I think the best refs apply a bit of common sense in their application of said rules. I hope you get a good one tonight and the game isn't ruined by any over zealous application. Although if you're playing Harps that would usually work in your favour! Not sure about this current version of Harps...bit softer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I’ve read (and heard) a few times Gaffney getting put down for being in the POTY conversation, as he has only scored “9 goals” He actually has 12 goals and 13 assists in all competitions, This is a truer reflection of his returns this season. Also 3 of those goals and assists are in Europe which is almost always a higher level than the LOI. Not bad for a 33 year old.
    He also does a lot more on the pitch during the match that may not always be obviously. You can see some of this in the post match highlights package Virgin Media did on him and Dunne/Kerr spoke about.
    For me he absolutely deserves to be in the POTY discussion and probably should win it.
    Ger, seriously mate, what happened to you ??
    I agree completely with what your saying btw, it's just.... a little weird to read coming from a bohs fan ?
    Gaffney should and probably will get POTY, but don't think he'll get Rovers fans POTY-That will probably be Alan Mannus. If Rovers don't win the league next year it'll be because him and/or Bradley have left. Irreplaceable.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I agree completely with what your saying btw, it's just.... a little weird to read coming from a bohs fan ?
    Gaffney should and probably will get POTY, but don't think he'll get Rovers fans POTY-That will probably be Alan Mannus. If Rovers don't win the league next year it'll be because him and/or Bradley have left. Irreplaceable.
    I say it as I see it. I like my stats and his are the best in my opinion, along with his all round play. Doesn’t matter to me if the player wears hoops, red and black stripes or whatever colour.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Thought Pats should’ve been 2-0 up by the time Sligo were awarded a joke of a penalty. Barrett and Keena went shoulder to shoulder, Keena lost his balance and got straight back up to continue contesting for the ball. If you look at the replay he actually swiftly turns his head around about to berate the referee for giving a free out before realising he was awarded a ridiculously soft peno. After that I thought Sligo managed the game very well and pats looked all out of ideas in how to break them down. Never really got going after the goal
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    If Gaffney doesn't win POTY this year it's even more of a travesty than it was when he didn't get it last year. He's been the the best player on the best team for two years.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    If Gaffney doesn't win POTY this year it's even more of a travesty than it was when he didn't get it last year. He's been the the best player on the best team for two years.
    The main reason I like Gaffney is because he obviously has the option of growing a s**t ginger beard, and he has chosen not to. For that reason alone he deserves player of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Not to already get too far ahead of ourselves before the LOI European campaign ends for 2022 but Dundalk should be seeded for the first 2 rounds next year.

In terms of picking up a decent country co-efficient the most important games for the LOI are the first round or two of the ECL and also any points picked up in the ECL group stage.

Hopefully Dundalk can get a soft route to ECLQ3 before having a decent go at a team from a mid ranked league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Dundalk need serious investment in their squad next season or they won't be in Europe for very long, irrespective of the team they may face. Hoban and Benson being available will improve them, they still need some decent standard of player in to make a mark in Europe. Getting European qualification might give them options with possible new signings but they still have to compete with pat's, derry and Rovers for those players I'd say. The seedings for Europe can be a false picture as well, so just because they have the historical seeding wont guarantee a dodgy side. They should get through one round at least you'd imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Final group game just kicking off

Pohls in for Mannus (who is on the bench) is an interesting one. Slight knock or throwing him in for experience? Mannus has been an important player throughout so Pohls has a lot to live up to

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Final group game just kicking off

Pohls in for Mannus (who is on the bench) is an interesting one. Slight knock or throwing him in for experience? Mannus has been an important player throughout so Pohls has a lot to live up to
    Mannus has been playing with an injury for a while now so I'd imagine that's his season done. Hopefully a sign that he wants to start recovering for the next one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Roll on next season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    And there you see the reason why Rovers are so desperate to keep Alan Mannus for another year. Pohls isn't good enough for LOI let alone European competition. Rovers had started brightly enough, albeit its clear to see who are the better team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Shirt tug without a yellow card there. Well I never Stu...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    And there you see the reason why Rovers are so desperate to keep Alan Mannus for another year. Pohls isn't good enough for LOI let alone European competition. Rovers had started brightly enough, albeit its clear to see who are the better team.
    Agreed. Good save there though
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Shirt tug without a yellow card there. Well I never Stu...
    Didn't see which incident that was, but Ferizaj absolutely 100% should have been booked. Let's draw a line under that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Didn't see which incident that was, but Ferizaj absolutely 100% should have been booked. Let's draw a line under that.
    Farrugia pulled their left wingers jersey outside our box. Free given, no yellow. Same as you'll see in games all over the world every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Was it the "Blatant and cynical hold stopping a promising attack" in the coaching video I linked?

Cos Ferizaj's was.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Was it the "Blatant and cynical hold stopping a promising attack" in the coaching video I linked?

Cos Ferizaj's was.
    We disagree on what constitutes a promising attack I think! We can draw a line under that at least.