Page 126 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I've seen enough of young ferizaj now to see he hasn't progressed in the European games. His level is about the qualifier stage in Europe. Your pace only gets worse as you get older and he doesn't have that to set him apart, not the strength to hold off players and keep the ball and he can't sell a player. Good touch but that's really all he has. Now he's off
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    That goal's been coming a while in fairness, and so soon after the Ferizaj sending-off is a really tough blow.

Long 20 minutes ahead now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    And there ye go. Needless sending off. And they concede
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Can't understand why Gent have dropped the tempo since the goal

Rovers, with the early subs too, should be far tireder here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Decent result overall.. neither team had many clear cut chances
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    When Ferizaj was booked just after coming on I had this feeling he would he would get sent off. The impulsiveness of youth. Lad is only young and he will learn from that.

Very good result with somewhat of a patch work selection. Been a good week for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    The Mannus question arises again after that - couple of great saves at key moments.

Is he signed on for next season? Don't know if there's a long-list of candidates to replace him.

Last game will be interesting to see if Bradley has learned anything about the away games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The Mannus question arises again after that - couple of great saves at key moments.

Is he signed on for next season? Don't know if there's a long-list of candidates to replace him.

Last game will be interesting to see if Bradley has learned anything about the away games.
    You would think Djurgarden might rest a lot of players with the group sewn up. Mind you they are 6 points off top spot in the Allsvenskan with 2 games to play, so maybe nothing to play for there.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts

One of the best performances I can remember from Mannus, three really top class saves, he looks like he certainly has another year in him.

A shame the injuries hit Rovers so badly, going in without Byrne and Burke and then losing McCann and Watts in the first half was tough to manage. Great start and a brilliant goal, but Gent were the better side for the most part. Couldn't understand the second yellow from where I was, if anything it looked like Januzaj was fouled, but his first yellow straight after coming on was just immature and naïve.

While Januzaj is still very young, I do agree with Paul that he might struggle to play at a very high level. His touch and foot work are exceptional at times, but he really does lack pace and that can be a career killer. If Farrugia can remain fit and start getting more 90 minutes under his belt he's the one that could really go on to a very high level. He's got height, pace, physicality and a good touch and positional sense. He's obviously had a terrible time with injury, but if he stays fit and gets a full season under his belt next season I think he'll go on to play at least at Championship level.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Good performance by Rovers. Very unlucky with injuries before and during the game. Ferizag needed to come off earlier - as Bradley admits here. This is a good take on Rovers in Europe - but Bradley just comes across as paranoid and over-sensitive when he accuses critics of 'bitterness' and having a 'cynical agenda'.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...in-the-league/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Thought we did well considering we had no midfield for most of the night. Nice to get the goal early and get that monkey off our backs.

Towell and Gaffney put in some shift and Mannus showed his usual class. Thought the red on Ferizaj was very harsh at the time and the second viewing hasn't changed my opinion. Giving a lad who has just come on a yellow for a jersey pull in a harmless area of the pitch is a bit bizarre and he was going for the ball for the second even if he did catch the player. If we had anybody to spring from the bench I think we might have held out for the win but the draw isn't bad overall.

Not sure who we have left to play against Derry and UCD now so thank Twigg the league is done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Thought the red on Ferizaj was very harsh at the time and the second viewing hasn't changed my opinion. Giving a lad who has just come on a yellow for a jersey pull in a harmless area of the pitch is a bit bizarre
    Ah it's not in fairness. It was a fairly cynical effort to hold the defender back and stop him launching an attack, which is just not allowed, and there's nothing in the rules to say that you can get away with that within five minutes of coming on as a sub or inside the opposition half. Kerr described it as "stupid" and he's right. Second yellow was for being a bit late in the tackle and landing studs on the Gent guy's ankle - bit unfortunate as there was no malice intended, but still it's a yellow.

The goal in the second minute was huge; changed the feeling of every Rovers attack and Gent had to be much more careful because 2-0 would have been quite a challenge. Good performance overall especially considering the injuries, but agree with passing that Gent were the better side over the 90. Still, a point off a Belgian side isn't to be sniffed at.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Think I overheard a guy behind me at the match saying that Ferizah’s dad passed away a few days ago. Anyone know if that’s right? If so, I’m surprised he made it on the pitch at all…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Have to agree with most of the comments on here to be fair:
    Mannus made some excellent saves. Having the best season I’ve ever seen him have.
    Ferizahs yellows were quite silly.
    Gent had the best chances so a draw is a decent result.
    Gaffney is a beast. My POTY.
    Rovers had a lot of bad luck with injuries so did well in the circumstances.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Ah it's not in fairness. It was a fairly cynical effort to hold the defender back and stop him launching an attack, which is just not allowed, and there's nothing in the rules to say that you can get away with that within five minutes of coming on as a sub or inside the opposition half. Kerr described it as "stupid" and he's right. Second yellow was for being a bit late in the tackle and landing studs on the Gent guy's ankle - bit unfortunate as there was no malice intended, but still it's a yellow.

The goal in the second minute was huge; changed the feeling of every Rovers attack and Gent had to be much more careful because 2-0 would have been quite a challenge. Good performance overall especially considering the injuries, but agree with passing that Gent were the better side over the 90. Still, a point off a Belgian side isn't to be sniffed at.
    It was a verbal caution maybe. First offence and no danger from that position. Different if the defender was on a break but he wasn't and we had loads of men back. Silly all the same but if a UCD player got one you'd be raging!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    But you're making up things that just aren't in the rules. First offence and no danger don't matter in the rules.

If a UCD player got a booking for that, I'd call him stupid. It was as clear a yellow as you're going to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Think I overheard a guy behind me at the match saying that Ferizah’s dad passed away a few days ago. Anyone know if that’s right? If so, I’m surprised he made it on the pitch at all…
    His grandad passed away.

He's 17 and has lots to learn - last night being a big part of that process - but he is a fantastic talent and prospect despite the opinion of well-known European football expert Paul O'Shea. He's currently being tracked by half a dozen of Europe's elite clubs but what do they know? A playmaker /#10 lacking burning pace, unheard of!
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Have to agree with most of the comments on here to be fair:
    Mannus made some excellent saves. Having the best season I’ve ever seen him have.
    Ferizahs yellows were quite silly.
    Gent had the best chances so a draw is a decent result.
    Gaffney is a beast. My POTY.
    Rovers had a lot of bad luck with injuries so did well in the circumstances.
    I’ve read (and heard) a few times Gaffney getting put down for being in the POTY conversation, as he has only scored “9 goals” He actually has 12 goals and 13 assists in all competitions, This is a truer reflection of his returns this season. Also 3 of those goals and assists are in Europe which is almost always a higher level than the LOI. Not bad for a 33 year old.
    He also does a lot more on the pitch during the match that may not always be obviously. You can see some of this in the post match highlights package Virgin Media did on him and Dunne/Kerr spoke about.
    For me he absolutely deserves to be in the POTY discussion and probably should win it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    But you're making up things that just aren't in the rules. First offence and no danger don't matter in the rules.

If a UCD player got a booking for that, I'd call him stupid. It was as clear a yellow as you're going to see.
    I'm not really. He pulled a shirt Stu. You see them given when it impedes an actual attack of course but this was harmless.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foul...misconduct.svg

But you hardly have time for internet arguments today do you? Huge game. Feeling confident?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    From Pro Referees, the official body of the MLS referees, a yellow card is issued when -

The defender blatantly or cynically holds/fouls the attacker as they are starting, or during, an attack. In this consideration, the nature of the holding offense is one that cannot be ignored, even if the promising attack is only just emerging or the offense occurs well into the defensive half.
    That fairly clearly describes the foul last night and "stopping a promising attack) is an added dimension to just a shirt pull. The foul they use an example is very similar to the one last night -

Yellow all day long I'm afraid.

Can't predict Cup finals though - you should know that!