Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 123 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2559

Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Colm Whelan is the only realistic prospect from within the League, depending both on his recovery and what offers he has.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Leaving Derry out of the equation as your not going to get the likes of Duffy out of there who in the league is the best Striker tht would improve Rovers....keeping in mind Gaffney will probably win player of the year this year but is not prolific...
    Hooban? never felt like he fits our style even if we could get him out of Dundalk
    Going outside the league is difficult as Dundalk proved rather spectacularly but i dont see that 20 goal striker in the league.
    What about Keena? Yes he is in contract but that has not stopped Sligo selling in the past for the right fee. You need a finisher and he has done very well this season in the league. Only 23 and 18 goals across all competitions. Is he worth splashing the cash vs the potential rewards from Europe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    What about Keena? Yes he is in contract but that has not stopped Sligo selling in the past for the right fee. You need a finisher and he has done very well this season in the league. Only 23 and 18 goals across all competitions. Is he worth splashing the cash vs the potential rewards from Europe?
    He was on my mind when i wrote the original post but hes had 1 good season off the back of 32 appearences for Falkirk over 3 years and 6 goals
    That being said Hoooobans and Gaffneys records in the UK were poor so maybe he is worth a shout.
    Id actually forgotten about Colm Whelan, it would be unusual i think for him to get a move abroad off the back of a Cruciate injury without making a few appearances so maybe he could be the ansewer for Rovers next year

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Tommy Lonergan is outscoring Whelan this year in the Premier and may be in line for a move too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    Saw about 3/4 of the game, thought Rovers were unlucky, and that goal from Molde def offside. That's about as good as it gets, as I still don't think they have taken the group stages seriously and apart from last night have they even had a proper go at it?

Will repeat my comparison, in 2020 EL group stages a DFC team cobbled together with unrest all over the camp, mad cap (quite literally) owners, struggling in the league, and still scored in every game (apart from Arsenal away), and also scored 2 and 3 on other games, should have got a result in Vienna too, as they 'had a go', I`m not sure Rovers did. Plus not buying this cant fight on both fronts, that DFC team went on to win the cup same season.

Plus these are the games that Jack B is meant to really show his class in, has he really?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Saw about 3/4 of the game, thought Rovers were unlucky, and that goal from Molde def offside. That's about as good as it gets, as I still don't think they have taken the group stages seriously and apart from last night have they even had a proper go at it?

Will repeat my comparison, in 2020 EL group stages a DFC team cobbled together with unrest all over the camp, mad cap (quite literally) owners, struggling in the league, and still scored in every game (apart from Arsenal away), and also scored 2 and 3 on other games, should have got a result in Vienna too, as they 'had a go', I`m not sure Rovers did. Plus not buying this cant fight on both fronts, that DFC team went on to win the cup same season.

Plus these are the games that Jack B is meant to really show his class in, has he really?
    In fairness to him he is only playing himself into form after a long lay off
    The playing on two fronts is undeniably an issue hence Rovers approach. Dundalk finished 22 points behind Rovers in 2020 so they werent exactly distracted by a title chalenge and thats not me having a go just reality

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    I'd rather go with the UEFA's description of Rovers this week as "the undisputed giants of the Irish game."

We were great last night, undone by the ridiculous non offside decision and the lack of a clinical striker.

Mannus yet again proving he's light years ahead of the rest of the keepers in the League. Will be very, very difficult to replace - as difficult as finding that elusive striker.

I see Celtic and Rangers getting the same unrealistic analysis of their European performances that Rovers get from some on here. Takes years of investment, planning, good recruitment and decision-making plus lots of luck to compete at a higher level, luckily the people who matter understand this obvious fact.
    There is nothing gigantic about Rovers based on the embarrassment they?ve been in Europe, I find it impressive how a team of such much experience play like a pub team. I don?t remember Dundalk under Kenny or Rovers in O?Neill having to sacrifice Europe in order to win their league, there?s a giant (such as these teams) and then there is the current Rovers team who are happy to scrape the bare minimum of what they are capable of and no more.

You lost 2-0 against an average side you werent great, that?s the minnowism creeping in again. This further shows the lack of strength in character to respond when the going gets tough and B asks a question why hasn?t the clinical striker issue been resolved? You?ve known that Greene couldn?t hit a barn door for years yet why is he starting in 2022? Sligo, Bohemians, Dundalk have been able to find a clinical striker so it clearly can be done so less excuses please. It isn?t difficult, it?s difficult for Rovers because they are interested in evolving their squad, the fact they are reliant on a 42 year old in goal and have no plans to replace him says it all.

They understand it and yet a year or so after the Flora Tallinn embarrassment Rovers are making the same mistakes and have the same selection issues. I see a lot words being spoken about what Rovers need to do but what?s actually being done?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

It?s all an act to cover the fact that Bradley is a complete spoofer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    The problem with finding a striker good enough to make a mark in Europe is that he's likely going to get noticed earlier than the group stages. Danny would have been very useful in these games. Hoban has it in him in fairness. Have to find the lad who went elsewhere and didn't make it but is still good enough or get someone tied down long term so you can fend off buyers. Burke could be it for us but he hasn't been fit enough and even fully fit he doesn't have the pace. More ability than a lot of what we have played but the bit of acceleration to really hurt teams is lacking. Jack just isn't the same unfortunately. Maybe he will get there next season but I have my doubts.

First goal was a killer really. Such a bad decision and then they compounded it by calling Greene off when he was on later. But hey, at least the neutrals got their good performance and the tone of the forum has completely changed! 😅 Meanwhile, we still got 0 points and have a more important game on Sunday.

I expected 4 points from the group. Gent at home is doable if we can beat drogs and pats beforehand but both are tricky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    There is nothing gigantic about Rovers based on the embarrassment they?ve been in Europe, I find it impressive how a team of such much experience play like a pub team. I don?t remember Dundalk under Kenny or Rovers in O?Neill having to sacrifice Europe in order to win their league, there?s a giant (such as these teams) and then there is the current Rovers team who are happy to scrape the bare minimum of what they are capable of and no more.

You lost 2-0 against an average side you werent great, that?s the minnowism creeping in again. This further shows the lack of strength in character to respond when the going gets tough and B asks a question why hasn?t the clinical striker issue been resolved? You?ve known that Greene couldn?t hit a barn door for years yet why is he starting in 2022? Sligo, Bohemians, Dundalk have been able to find a clinical striker so it clearly can be done so less excuses please. It isn?t difficult, it?s difficult for Rovers because they are interested in evolving their squad, the fact they are reliant on a 42 year old in goal and have no plans to replace him says it all.

They understand it and yet a year or so after the Flora Tallinn embarrassment Rovers are making the same mistakes and have the same selection issues. I see a lot words being spoken about what Rovers need to do but what?s actually being done?
    If you remeber MON's rovers retaining the league title at the same time as they played in european group stages then either you come from a different timeline or you might want to get checked over. Perhaps all that time spent turned to stone during daylight is affecting your memory?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Leaving Derry out of the equation as your not going to get the likes of Duffy out of there who in the league is the best Striker tht would improve Rovers....keeping in mind Gaffney will probably win player of the year this year but is not prolific..
    Make us a nice offer for Eoin Doyle and maybe we can do business.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    If you remeber MON's rovers retaining the league title at the same time as they played in european group stages then either you come from a different timeline or you might want to get checked over. Perhaps all that time spent turned to stone during daylight is affecting your memory?
    You're weirdly defensive of Rovers as a Derry fan

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    I get it tbh. If Rovers are minnows I don't think there's a word in the English language to describe how minute the rest of the league is. You can make a case for Rovers being overly cautious if you want but that's their lookout, if they're fine aiming for incremental progression that's their strategy. The notion that they should care, even a little about Jonny Whoever the Pats/Bohs/Derry/Treaty fan or, even more, Deco the Liverpool fan who wouldn't go to a League of Ireland game for any reason and will happily invent a new reason not to if necessary is almost parody. Especially with the Derry rocket coming up in the rear view mirror.

I find the almost apoplectic rage from a couple of posters here bizarre. I love the league but I'm not frantic one way or the other about how Rovers group campaign goes. Hopefully we'll see them and/or someone else in the groups again next year.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    If you want to slag rovers performances batter on, there more than enough ammunition there. But don't imagine there would be many to disagree with you even among rovers fans.

If you're going to slag rovers for doing what's right for rovers again have at it. Anyone with half a brain would want their club to the same in similar circumstances.

If you want to do both aggressively while spouting bu11$hit in some kind of appeal to authority, having already trainwrecked a perfectly good thread at least once, then "Why don't you wait for my big brother? He's bigger than me, and much tastier".

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    2011 numb nuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I get it tbh. If Rovers are minnows I don't think there's a word in the English language to describe how minute the rest of the league is. You can make a case for Rovers being overly cautious if you want but that's their lookout, if they're fine aiming for incremental progression that's their strategy. The notion that they should care, even a little about Jonny Whoever the Pats/Bohs/Derry/Treaty fan or, even more, Deco the Liverpool fan who wouldn't go to a League of Ireland game for any reason and will happily invent a new reason not to if necessary is almost parody. Especially with the Derry rocket coming up in the rear view mirror.

I find the almost apoplectic rage from a couple of posters here bizarre. I love the league but I'm not frantic one way or the other about how Rovers group campaign goes. Hopefully we'll see them and/or someone else in the groups again next year.
    Perfectly put.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    In fairness to him he is only playing himself into form after a long lay off
    The playing on two fronts is undeniably an issue hence Rovers approach. Dundalk finished 22 points behind Rovers in 2020 so they werent exactly distracted by a title chalenge and thats not me having a go just reality
    But this is my point, a patched up Dundalk squad with senior players obviously in their last season, some unhappy still managed to 'have a go' in the group stage in 2020 and on two fronts also when they recovered and won the cup.

Plus Rovers have far better options in 2022 than we had in 2020, I`m amazed Rovers fans seem to be happy to just plod along in the group stage, seems to be a new excuse most weeks why they are under performing in these games. Christ lads, score a goal, take at least one of the games left by scruff of neck and go for it.

Why can't they battle on both fronts with the squad they have?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post

Deflect deflect deflect. At least you aren?t denying their minnowism now, progress.

The difference is the other teams in the league would actually have a go in Europe.

There is no progression, stop lying to yourself. What they are doing now they were doing last season, the only reason they made any European competition this year is they had a much easier draw, if they played Flora again I?m confident they would be shown up again.

The complete lack of ambition I find astounding, I still can?t get my head around how any Rovers fan can look at Rovers in Europe this season not have some shame, woohoo we beat the champions of worse leagues than us, progress?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    But this is my point, a patched up Dundalk squad with senior players obviously in their last season, some unhappy still managed to 'have a go' in the group stage in 2020 and on two fronts also when they recovered and won the cup.

Plus Rovers have far better options in 2022 than we had in 2020, I`m amazed Rovers fans seem to be happy to just plod along in the group stage, seems to be a new excuse most weeks why they are under performing in these games. Christ lads, score a goal, take at least one of the games left by scruff of neck and go for it.

Why can't they battle on both fronts with the squad they have?
    Because they have a **** manager.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Deflect deflect deflect. At least you aren?t denying their minnowism now, progress.

The difference is the other teams in the league would actually have a go in Europe.

There is no progression, stop lying to yourself. What they are doing now they were doing last season, the only reason they made any European competition this year is they had a much easier draw, if they played Flora again I?m confident they would be shown up again.

The complete lack of ambition I find astounding, I still can?t get my head around how any Rovers fan can look at Rovers in Europe this season not have some shame, woohoo we beat the champions of worse leagues than us, progress?
    I'm not a Rovers fan.

What did having a go in Europe do for the other clubs this year? How are they doing in the group stage?

They are in the group stages. This is unusual for an Irish club. Every other club in the league has achieved less than them in Europe this year and would love to be in their position.

You're like a dog with a bone. It's fascinating.