Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Nations League - Group B1

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    As soon as Richard Dunne hung up his boots he was moaning in his media punditry about far too much hoof ball/caveman stuff being played under O'Neill - suppressed memory syndrome or just pure denial?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Manning? I'm not convinced, but I'm not ready to write him off yet either.

That said, I would like a look at Bagan, and Dennis Cirkin if he can be convinced to jump the fence. I know he's only in League 1, but we have other players at that level, and Sunderland are a big club in any division which has to count for something.
    I’d say Manning’s problem is McClean’s attitude and commitment in everything he does around the camp. If Manning wants to be ahead of McClean he has to work harder than James and that isn’t possible. James wants to be in the 100 club.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    I’d say Manning’s problem is McClean’s attitude and commitment in everything he does around the camp. If Manning wants to be ahead of McClean he has to work harder than James and that isn’t possible. James wants to be in the 100 club.
    Without a doubt.. he'll run through walls for that century

Anyone ever think he kind of reminds them of Kilbane?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Without a doubt.. he'll run through walls for that century

Anyone ever think he kind of reminds them of Kilbane?
    I suppose. I never thought kilbane was always on the verge of something super crazy though. Look, I absolutely get that mcclean adds value in terms of team commitment, setting an example and to an extent scaring the pants off certain opposition players. I dont quite have a grip on that being offset by his awful first touch, variability of decision making and the fact he is gradually getting left behind by the passing game we are trying to play.

That said, hes a fab impact sub and if he wants to hit 100 caps that is one route
    It does however look like SK is, at least when the opposition is light, playing a more attacking wing back scenario. I'd put money down if it was Portugal or some decent side Stevens would appear to start

What is clear if you are a fringe player or playing down the leagues you need to have some sort of x factor to make the leap. Also lets face it, 30 years ago knight would be a premier league starter by now. It's just more crowded over there. Mcclean certainly has that x factor.. Knight, Bazanu, omo. Manning needs to show soon why he is a stand out player. So far so average sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    I suppose. I never thought kilbane was always on the verge of something super crazy though. Look, I absolutely get that mcclean adds value in terms of team commitment, setting an example and to an extent scaring the pants off certain opposition players. I dont quite have a grip on that being offset by his awful first touch, variability of decision making and the fact he is gradually getting left behind by the passing game we are trying to play.
    His first touch can be brutal at times, but when he get the ball out of his feet he's capable of getting past defenders and putting in fabulous crosses. Much was made of the touch by Jason Knight that put the ball on a plate for Callum Robinson, but it was a peach of a ball in from McClean.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    It was an absolute gem of a goal. One of the best we've ever scored imho.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It was an absolute gem of a goal. One of the best we've ever scored imho.
    Agreed
    Good passing
    Team effort
    Skill
    Timing

It had it all

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I wouldn't agree on him being the best crosser though.

He manages to hit the nearest (and often only) defender an extraoridnary amount of the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I wouldn't agree on him being the best crosser though.

He manages to hit the nearest (and often only) defender an extraoridnary amount of the time.
    Agree, that was a brilliant cross for Knight, but it’s the exception rather than the rule. Nobody, can fault his commitment to the cause and the pride he feels representing his country, but he’s a mascot rather than a productive member of a team attempting to forge a new style.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Agree, that was a brilliant cross for Knight, but it’s the exception rather than the rule. Nobody, can fault his commitment to the cause and the pride he feels representing his country, but he’s a mascot rather than a productive member of a team attempting to forge a new style.
    McClean isn't of this thread (the future), but far from being mockingly labelled a mascot, he was selected to start by the manager of this new style team and despite evident technical shortcomings in the game he was not subbed and delivered in the end, magnificently. He epitomises the pride and total commitment in representation and this next generation of young players are vying to be a part of that. That's what it's about.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Id totally agree.. he's no Messi but a much better baller than given credit for, has given us some brilliant nights (Vienna, Cardiff), and if the next gen give us his commitment and passion we'll be doing all right. barring injury he'll get his century over the next two years and he deserves that

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Id totally agree.. he's no Messi but a much better baller than given credit for, has given us some brilliant nights (Vienna, Cardiff), and if the next gen give us his commitment and passion we'll be doing all right. barring injury he'll get his century over the next two years and he deserves that
    How many is he on now ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    How many is he on now ?
    88, could hit the century in March 2023

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    He'll hit the century within the next two years. There's no one coming through to replace either him or Stevens in the squad. Scales needs to get games for Celtic first, Manning has been converted to a CB by Russell Martin, and don't see anyone from the underage making that step up within the next two years.

More likely to see someone step up at RWB as back up and Doherty moving across when everyone is fit. But even if that happened he'd still move back across when Coleman is out or playing RCB. Also feel McClean comes in before Stevens as second choice LWB if Doherty is first choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Would the most likely back 3 not be Duffy Egan Omobamidele/O Shea, meaning Coleman RWB and Doherty LWB?
    McClean still likely to be used as an impact sub but he may end up a few caps short of the 100
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The draw for next years Nations League is next Thursday, and weirdly, I am absolutely on tenterhooks waiting for it. I've a feeling that it could be the most important tournament draw for us in a couple of decades.

The right one and we could be playing games against the real big boys of Euro football in two years, and going into a qualifying campaign with real momentum and a cohort of players who've been blooded in both friendly and competitive games.

The wrong one, and we could be getting used to playing games in far flung corners of Europe while playing under a new manager in the next Euro qualifiers

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    And doesn't the NL have more significance in terms of Euro qualification than WC qualification? If NL v3.0 is the same as NL v1.0 then you can secure a play-off before qualification proper even begins.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    And doesn't the NL have more significance in terms of Euro qualification than WC qualification? If NL v3.0 is the same as NL v1.0 then you can secure a play-off before qualification proper even begins.
    They haven't confirmed that yet, but I'd be surprised if it has changed. Yes, if you won your group in v1.0, you were assured a play off spot (Scotland for example)

Even coming second in the group would give you a 90% chance of making a play off.

But I still think, we missed out on tournament games in Dublin last summer, so this is the perfect time to market the four games with two at home in June as a "mini tournament" and fill the stadium creating a good atmosphere. It's also a chance to get a big squad together for 3-4 weeks and give them a tournament type feeling, plus a lot more time on the training pitch

25. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    There probably will be some change given that in the first tournament, the League D winners (North Macedonia) qualified, but since then they've rejigged the format so there's only seven League D countries instead of 16. I can't see a place going to Kazakhstan/Moldova, Cyprus/Estonia (the losers of those two ties in March will be relegated into League D), Liechtenstein, Malta, Latvia (previous qualifiers of course), San Marino or Andorra.

So maybe only three spots available? But even that in theory should favour us very slightly as it means no League D side (who we should be better than in the groups) to take a place off us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    Would the most likely back 3 not be Duffy Egan Omobamidele/O Shea, meaning Coleman RWB and Doherty LWB?
    McClean still likely to be used as an impact sub but he may end up a few caps short of the 100
    James McClean is a great fella and all but the fact he is not that far away from 100 caps kinda explains whereabouts we have been for a good number of years. Well done to James all the same ! !

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast