Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Luxembourg v Republic of Ireland - Sun, 14th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    It will be easier for the naysayers to say that was lucky, but if all referee decisions were correct we would have beaten Portugal last week, so that's a swings and roundabout situation for me.
    You probably can't give them that goal without giving us the penalty. And you couldn't give us our goal against Portugal without leaving Pepe on the pitch to stop it in the first place. But swings and roundabouts as you say. Similar for third policeman's comment on reaching the playoffs - but had that Serbian defender not whacked the ball of his own teammate's face, this little revival might have been stopped dead. But this is the universe where what's happened has happened.

It wasn't pretty for stages - more pace but the same lacklustre goal threat that I'd expected. But it's a significant improvement on the home game, as was the Azeri win last month. You have to be happy with that.

The March friendlies are next on the radar and I think we need them to be challenging. No New Zealand/Oman tokenist nonsense. I think ideal would be League B opposition we don't get drawn against next month. That's the next step of the recovery - to see if we can do it against teams of a supposedly similar level to us, who won't help us along the way with bad misses or bad goalkeeping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Looking back at how Portugal and Serbia did away to Luxembourg, it doesn’t sound like either had it easy against them. Reads like Serbia were matched by Luxembourg, and fortunate to win. Luxembourg were obviously going to fancy their chances having won in Dublin and give it a right go, but I don’t think the 3-0 result flatters us – we had more of the game and were the better team. I’m happy.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The March friendlies are next on the radar and I think we need them to be challenging. No New Zealand/Oman tokenist nonsense. I think ideal would be League B opposition we don't get drawn against next month. That's the next step of the recovery - to see if we can do it against teams of a supposedly similar level to us, who won't help us along the way with bad misses or bad goalkeeping.
    My preference is for non-european opposition. With the nations league added into the mix we have very few opportunities to play someone a bit exotic.

That doesn't have to mean Brazil or Argentina, or complete dead rubbers (like NZ/Oman as you mentioned). Someone like Algeria would be a lovely change.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 15/11/2021 at 10:03 AM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Delighted with that result and you cant knock back to back 3-0 away wins against any opposition. Worth noting that Kenny has changed his football philosophy over the last year. We're now playing possession football and trying to get forward quickly rather than the slow backward-sideways passing game he started off with. The selection of Ogbene has been a master stroke because he has done nothing at club level to warrant a call up but I'm sure a few club managers have already noted his form in the last 2 games.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Jason Knight is the new Jamie McGrath (remember him?)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Im jumping ahead here, but with Cullen out for the next nation league game
    Can Jeff and knight do a job together or is the balance off?
    I m just assuming James McCarthy wont be available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    They could do a job but neither of them seems to be that holding Roy Keane type player that wins the ball back and gets it moving again with simple passes.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The way Luc Holtz has gone on, Luxembourg look like they're trying to turn us into arch-rivals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    was wondering about the suspension issue last night as it appeared on the screen last night as a couple of our players got booked.
    Do the yellows actually continue into a new campaign?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    was wondering about the suspension issue last night as it appeared on the screen last night as a couple of our players got booked.
    I think the commenter said he was suspended

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Jason Knight is the new Jamie McGrath (remember him?)
    I think everyone knew how good Jason Knight was and could be. I think he's a better player than McGrath and he will be Premiership player. The reverse pass to Ogbene and the deftness of the sidefoot volley to Robinson were gorgeous. I think Ronnie Whelan said in commentary that a lesser player would have set themselves up for a shot when that ball from McClean was coming towards them. Knight showed vision, awareness and technique in executing what he did. Similar point for his run into space for Hendrick and the aforementioned pass.

It definitely suited him coming into a game like that too given his fitness and industry and technique. The game was open. On the other hand, McGrath had a lot of defensive responsibility against Portugal and they are obviously a better side and didn't leave many gaps when we did get forward.

Knight is the better player. But we need options. There may be an argument for playing both of them behind Robinson against certain sides, given that Knight has shown an ability to create problems out wide at club and international level already, as well as through the middle. I heard Vinny Perth speak recently on OTB about McGrath and his running stats and how they are as good as he has ever seen. I would imagine that Knight is the same. I remember when we had the 3 man midfield of McCarthy at 6 and Hendrick and Brady at 8 at the Euros we all thought that was the future midfield for a long time. Injuries significantly impacted that for Brady and McCarthy and I'm not sure Hendrick and Brady were ever going to sustain long careers as box to box 8s playing with intensity and purpose like they did at the Euros. Whilst neither is presently at the top level that Hendrick and Brady have or could have achieved, Knight and McGrath do feel like players who are more suited to that type of position, or the more 8 and half role that the 3-4-2-1 formation creates. One or both of them is surely nailed on to start there.

Overall, I'd give a lot of credit to McGrath for his recent international performances and the step up he has made. I hope he can now progress on from the SPL and keep his club career going in the right direction.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Jeff has been great recently, but maybe knight and Cullen could be a unit. I see McGrath as a more advanced player in a 3

Also surely every single game we should play 3 at the back from now on

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The other thing to note, is how well the squad seems to be getting along with each other now. They seem happy with each other, and with the management team. The vibe seems good.

This will be hugely important next Summer, because the Nations League sees them play four games in 12 days (2-14th) June, so it will feel very similar to being at a major tournament, with players in camp for maybe 3-4 weeks together.

But unlike a major tournament, squads won't be limited to 23 players, so maybe up to 30 players will get called up, to provide cover for fatigue/injuries by the 3/4th game.

That's a lot of players together, and a lot of time together to really work on patterns/styles/formation/set pieces etc

If players really buy into that, we could give the NL a real go, and maybe with a bit of luck in the draw, even look at winning the group. Do that, and it has a number of important roll over effects

1. Improves seeding for subsequent Euro draw

2. Puts Ireland in Path A in NL 24, getting us in with the big teams of Europe which will drive intetest and revenue in Irish football

3. Carry momentum into Euro qualifying

4. Hopefully see a few new players emerge for the next few years

I think theres definitely a "feel good" factor about the team now. While other Nations seem to look at the NL as an end of season pain in the backside, robbing players of holiday time, we could see it being an opportunity to get players experienced in "tournament mode"

Couple of sold out Avivas looking at good performances and we'd be well set for Euro qualifiers in 22-23

16. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Jeff has been great recently, but maybe knight and Cullen could be a unit. I see McGrath as a more advanced player in a 3

No. It has being shown were Knight plays the better football and it is wide right in an attacking position. Both assists were so top notch. I dont wanna ser this fellow defending just let him play

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    They could do a job but neither of them seems to be that holding Roy Keane type player that wins the ball back and gets it moving again with simple passes.
    Un my view and I know my football. Knight is an attacking player. He needs to play around the box

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    Doubt it... but would have carried on if we'd gotten into a play off for example. We'll start fresh again when the Nations League/Euro's begin again in June

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Yeah, I think Cullen is suspended for getting two yellows, but everyone else on a yellow (which was most of the team - 8 of the starting line-up for example) you would imagine will have them quashed now.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Gavin Kilkenny might be looked at as the replacement for Cullen in the March friendlies

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Is he actually suspended for the next tournament or did he TV just put it up automatically not thinking we have no games left in he tournament?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Gavin Kilkenny might be looked at as the replacement for Cullen in the March friendlies
    Great call.

25. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast