Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxembourg v Republic of Ireland - Sun, 14th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think Liamo (the poster, not Brady!) has a point in that it wasn't a convincing 3-0. But that's the way these go oftentimes - the minnow drops the head after the first goal and then you ram home the advantage.

There's definite progress for sure. The Nations League will be interesting now because Luxembourg/Azerbaijan/Qatar were crap and it will be a more telling level. But certainly Kenny has earned the right to lead the team into it and let's see where it goes.

Still concerns about our ability up front which will be more apparent at a higher level. Idah in particular offers little still But **** it; let's enjoy this and have four months of positivity!
    We need to find another striker badly. Don't think Idah is ever going to have it.

Looking at the options for the future Parrot, Connolly, Oko-Flex, Odubeko, Ferguson, along with Robinson and Ogbene, we really need one of the former group to step up and show themselves as a good striker at top flight level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts
    I felt that we were quite disjointed in the first half and it was really, from my perspective, down to McClean on the left. His passing and touch was quite off in attack and we were caught out on his side on the break quite often too. I thought Coleman was poor too. And Duffy was all over the place at times. Gerson, Sinani and Borjes played brilliantly between the lines and it created issues at times in the first half and then havoc in the first 15 mins of the second until Knight was brought on for Idah who, let’s be honest, was very poor. Immediately, we changed. After that we controlled every inch of the park and Knights mobility and quality allowed Hendrick to find a quality performance in the last 30 mins. It also put Robbo into a more effective spot on the park. Knight clearly brought a lot more than just better shape though and I think is now undroppable… that was some performance from him. Really enjoyed the performances from Doherty, Cullen, Ogbene over the whole 90 mins but bringing Knight on worked on so many levels that Hendrick, Robinson and McClean all improved too. Great game management.

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    We need to find another striker badly. Don't think Idah is ever going to have it.

Looking at the options for the future Parrot, Connolly, Oko-Flex, Odubeko, Ferguson, along with Robinson and Ogbene, we really need one of the former group to step up and show themselves as a good striker at top flight level.
    I'd put Connolly in the same boat as Idah tbh.

Hogan and Maguire are options too, albeit Maguire has a poor scoring record and both are close on 30 more, so while I think they should be there, they've another 4-5 years really.

But if there's friendlies in the spring, we need to use them to try new strikers for sure. Even Keane may be worth a try.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Ogbene has now two goals for Ireland. In 70 league games in England he has one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts
    The only thing I’d like to add to my post above is that Bazunu’s save was incredible.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Looking at forward options here as we're 0-0 again - and surely Scott Hogan would make a difference here?

6 in 15 for Birmingham - how is that behind Idah, Parrott and Keane? It's better than Robinson even.
    Hogan needs to be rehabilitated, because too many of the current contenders either aren’t ready or are not good enough. Obafemi, if he ever sorts out his issues, could still be a contender. Love to see Ogbene playing at a higher level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Hogan and Maguire are options too, albeit Maguire has a poor scoring record and both are close on 30 more, so while I think they should be there, they've another 4-5 years really.

But if there's friendlies in the spring, we need to use them to try new strikers for sure. Even Keane may be worth a try.

Idah for me needs to be getting half decent service and isn't going to get that in this irish team unless, ironically, knight is playing.
    When we set up in our optimal defence and midfield, there isn't room for a classic number 9 to hang around waiting for passes. I'm not sure if idah is less mobile than knight but he definitely played higher up which meant we had less fluidity.

Connolly has different problems I think but I've not watched him enough...he will struggle to get back in this team...

Big winners from the campaign
    Bazanu
    Knight
    McGrath
    Omobamidele
    Cullen
    Ogbene
    O'shea
    Egan

Some impact
    Parrot
    Molumby
    Idah
    Collins

Not as much as I'd like
    Connolly

Not much, hard to see a way back
    Clark
    Odowda

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Well worked goal, I just fear it means we'll be stuck with a PE teacher for a manager for another two years.
    Yeah, if only we’d lost
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I felt very nervous around the 60 minute mark but have to say I'm buzzing now with the way the game finished up. Strong mentality shown to get our noses in front and then put it to bed with some aplomb. Fantastic second two goals of a kind Ireland never score. Excellent composure and team play from young Knight, what a lad. Credit to Kenny for his introduction. The future is bright.
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Knight was brilliant for the second and third goals.

Classic from Richard Dunne on TV3 just now. Losing to Luxembourg is not a sackable offence, so beating them shouldn’t guarantee a new contract ! Ok, I can see the point about no need to give a contract yet, but you can be damn sure that if we’d lost tonight Dunne would have very much considered it a sackable offence. ( and in fairness it would have been hard to argue against.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    I'm delighted for Kenny that we finished campaign so well. Even the most ardent fans of him were having doubts especially after the Luxembourg loss. We could see what he was trying to do but the results weren't coming. He could have tried to placate the critics and gone to the more pragmatic football of the past but he stuck to his principles and we've had some excellent performances. The best was ironically in the loss away to Portugal but I think that gave the players massive belief.

We were sloppy enough at times tonight but like what happens often with a better team against poorer opponents, they tired a bit and goals change games. He made the right sub and we were brilliant for last 20 mins.

Hes earned a new contract now and I'm excited going forward. We are not instantly going to back competing for top of groups but we are definitely more competitive again and now with a very young squad we will continue to grow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Theres definitely a player there with Connolly arguably the pick of the lot, but a shocking attitude will prevent him reaching his true potential.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I felt that we were quite disjointed in the first half and it was really, from my perspective, down to McClean on the left. His passing and touch was quite off in attack and we were caught out on his side on the break quite often too. I thought Coleman was poor too. And Duffy was all over the place at times. Gerson, Sinani and Borjes played brilliantly between the lines and it created issues at times in the first half and then havoc in the first 15 mins of the second until Knight was brought on for Idah who, let’s be honest, was very poor. Immediately, we changed. After that we controlled every inch of the park and Knights mobility and quality allowed Hendrick to find a quality performance in the last 30 mins. It also put Robbo into a more effective spot on the park. Knight clearly brought a lot more than just better shape though and I think is now undroppable… that was some performance from him. Really enjoyed the performances from Doherty, Cullen, Ogbene over the whole 90 mins but bringing Knight on worked on so many levels that Hendrick, Robinson and McClean all improved too. Great game management.
    Doherty, Cullen and Ogbene all brilliant tonight. Agreed. If I had to pick a stand out of the three, it would be Cullen. He really linked the play in midfield. I hate to tempt fate, but we are a different team now. We're setting off on the road towards constructive football. We are no Portugal or Serbia but we can defend and keep possession for a decent amount of time. Quite lacking upfront but hopefully that will change.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'm delighted for Kenny that we finished campaign so well. Even the most ardent fans of him were having doubts especially after the Luxembourg loss. We could see what he was trying to do but the results weren't coming. He could have tried to placate the critics and gone to the more pragmatic football of the past but he stuck to his principles and we've had some excellent performances. The best was ironically in the loss away to Portugal but I think that gave the players massive belief.

We were sloppy enough at times tonight but like what happens often with a better team against poorer opponents, they tired a bit and goals change games. He made the right sub and we were brilliant for last 20 mins.

Hes earned a new contract now and I'm excited going forward. We are not instantly going to back competing for top of groups but we are definitely more competitive again and now with a very young squad we will continue to grow
    I would actually say the best was away to Azerbaijan, where we just went out with the attitude that we were better them and we knew it, and were just superior for the whole game.

Portugal away was good, but it was a more traditional 'backs to the wall' performance which we've seen many times from Ireland before, but Azerbaijan was a Kenny performance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Fantastic second two goals of a kind Ireland never score. The future is bright.
    Exactly right. We never would have finished the game like that in previous years. Even with Trap, MON and Keane, and especially under McCarthy. If we scored a goal we retreated into our shells faster than you can say Stephen Kenny. Quite a nice change in attitude to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I would actually say the best was away to Azerbaijan, where we just went out with the attitude that we were better them and we knew it, and were just superior for the whole game.

Portugal away was good, but it was a more traditional 'backs to the wall' performance which we've seen many times from Ireland before, but Azerbaijan was a Kenny performance.
    There were times in that game that we kept the ball well and created chances against much better opponents. I thought it was excellent at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Doherty, Cullen and Ogbene all brilliant tonight. Agreed. If I had to pick a stand out of the three, it would be Cullen. He really linked the play in midfield. I hate to tempt fate, but we are a different team now. We're setting off on the road towards constructive football. We are no Portugal or Serbia but we can defend and keep possession for a decent amount of time. Quite lacking upfront but hopefully that will change.

No rice, we got Cullen. I'm fine with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts

Trust me, the positivity feels good. 😘

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Lads can we also put to bed the question marks about Bazunu too. He is on his way to being World Class. His interview on Rte before the game was articulate and he seems like a very level headed and professional young fella.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Hahaha it’s absolutely ridiculous. The mental gymnastics by quite a few on here is quite something.
    Where is paul o shea

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast