Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LoI Matches 12th/13th November 2021

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    No- dreadful team selection; poor application - Bradley went on about maintaining standards once title was secure ; tonight’s performance so far is embarrassing as was his stupidity in getting a red card- still if JB signs back he’ll be forgiven
    According to game on JB has resigned for SR tonight! Great to see him back in the league again.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I think we should start preparing for a play off,Pats weren’t too bothered tonight and we still couldn’t beat them and we decided to go into all too regular self destruct mode towards the end,just unforgivable from Sadiki ….
    I don’t think there was a lack of effort on our part. Some of our players form would worry me going into the cup final. I thought Harps could have been ahead early in the second before our late push. I normally like Ollie but some of his antics tonight on the sideline was OTT IMO. If I were SOD I’d play a largely youth team next week in Waterford, the game means nothing to us and we can’t risk any injuries ahead of the big one in the Aviva. When we are going to play the Unite Cup match versus Rovers is a mystery with the final scheduled for December 4th. It will have to be in Tallaght the Wednesday after the cup final there doesn’t seem to be any other options.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 12/11/2021 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Pathetic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Wonderful night in the famous old stadium. I thought we'd struggle with all the players we were missing, but we absolutely cruised it.

Onwards to Sligo and hopefully we can get a win there and seal 4th place.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Odd game in dalymount. Neither team played well but Bohs ended up with 3 goals from very sloppy defending. Far too many passengers on the Rovers side but with the league in the bag and the Jack Byrne rumours floating around I'm not that surprised by what was a distracted and disjointed performance.

Good to see action being taken by the FAI and, to be fair, the Bohs leadership after the last derby in Dalymount. Cctv installed and a section of the stand closed to avoid some of the incidents they've been denying have been happening. Its been toxic there for a while now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Jack signing back will not have Rovers kick on much more under the current manager, 2022 thread on 1st manager sacked starts with Bradley.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/1459255483492089870

Same. Bro

Good win... interesting Final Day if we can get over Bohs
    No chance. Our game in Dundalk is now a dud we needed Rovers to do us a favour. I thought they would to be fair so disappointing in that regard but then as I did say in the “will derry win the league something something” thread there are no good teams in the league this year so hardly surprised that the champions themselves aren’t to be relied on.

Damp squib in Dundalk next week.

Positive note; who needs a few hundred k? Maybe Bohs, certainly not Derry. No Euro distractions next year? 🤔
    Last edited by DCWA; 13/11/2021 at 3:36 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Pats result leaves Drogs safe on goal difference. We had a great season but did fall over the finishing line between injuries, part time setup/fatigue and a crazy schedule of matches. Goal at the club was always to stay up in first year - mission accomplished.

We will lose a few in off season and need to buy even better than this season for next year given what would seem a stronger division next year.
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Pats result leaves Drogs safe on goal difference. We had a great season but did fall over the finishing line between injuries, part time setup/fatigue and a crazy schedule of matches. Goal at the club was always to stay up in first year - mission accomplished.

We will lose a few in off season and need to buy even better than this season for next year given what would seem a stronger division next year.
    We've a few lads, one is a former La Liga bargain and international, another pays for himself with all the interest from his home country - backed up by top class US data analytics, no brainer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post

Great season for Drogheda. There are some great people involved in the club so I am delighted for them. I have no doubt that the mid-table this year is as competitive as I have seen, and the team that finishes 9th will be strongest of my league of Ireland watching career. So for Drogheda to never to really look like they were going to get relegated, as a part time club, is a great achievement. A great blend of a squad with youth and experience. With a more settled Cork and Galway, always strong Bray and UCD (well at least 3/4) first division is going to be a tighter division next year, so it is important that Drogheda stays up.

Clancy is an excellent manager, and Drogheda's northern rival could do a lot worse than trying to tempt him up the M1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Jack signing back will not have Rovers kick on much more under the current manager, 2022 thread on 1st manager sacked starts with Bradley.
    Suggest you stick to your regular well rounded serious posts as attempts at humour obviously don’t work for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    No need to kick on, I'm pretty happy at the current level of winning the league every year with games to spare and a GD of 30!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    As you have observed humour isnt a strong point! It doesnt change the above post or opinion much, Bradley is not going to improve Rovers a whole lot more, if Byrne improves things it will be irrespective of the manager. Unlikely to sack a reigning champion winning manager but such loyalty could be to a fault. I will rethink this opinion if there is a good transfer window thats not all about Byrne, and if Bradley shows more guile with the rigid system he uses and adapts/reacts better in game that isnt just like for like type sub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    No need to kick on, I'm pretty happy at the current level of winning the league every year with games to spare and a GD of 30!!
    I hope all at Rovers are of similar thinking! Quickest way for a league winning team to find themselves going backwards, and from a Dundalk fan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    As you have observed humour isnt a strong point! It doesnt change the above post or opinion much, Bradley is not going to improve Rovers a whole lot more, if Byrne improves things it will be irrespective of the manager. Unlikely to sack a reigning champion winning manager but such loyalty could be to a fault. I will rethink this opinion if there is a good transfer window thats not all about Byrne, and if Bradley shows more guile with the rigid system he uses and adapts/reacts better in game that isnt just like for like type sub.
    I agree Bradley needs to be a little less rigid in terms of system , however I think that was ‘forced’ on him when we lost JB& McEneff and Farrugia out injured- that removed a huge amount of pace from us and left us playing a laboured/metronomic style ( which did deliver a title with a huge winning margin).

Brining in JB (maybe) plus 2 other expected major signings and a return to fitness for Farrugia plus I expect a lot more from Towell will IMO see us kick on next season.

Also the management situation at Rovers isn’t solely about Bradley ; what’s got us to where we now are is his first team coaching, the role played in recruitment / player development by McPhail and also the fruits of the academy investment that are starting to come through to both the first team and also our bank balance via over €2m in last three years.

I know I’m the first to bitch about Bradley when we play in the lazy embarrassing manner as we did last night but in the round he and the others in the background have done a brilliant job by delivering two titles and cup and more importantly putting in the solid foundations to allow that continue rather than having a boom and bust model.

So of course he won’t be sacked but to say that is based on loyalty is incorrect - it’s based on what he’s personally delivered as part of the overall club management , that may change but no sign of that- my only concern is that he might get headhunted - but at least we have a very good quality succession plan to cover that already in place albeit nothing can be 100% guaranteed
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 13/11/2021 at 11:09 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Here’s an unusual post - praise for a linesman. Watching from the halfway I’d have sworn Darragh Burns was several yards offside for Pats’ second goal and most media reports say he looked offside. The picture shows that he was well onside when the pass was played. The defender switched off and didn’t track his run, so he was in yards of space by the time the ball arrived. It’s the type of goal we’ve got used to seeing initially disallowed then given by VAR in the Premier League. The linesman did exceptionally well here.

https://twitter.com/garyonuallain/st...998685696?s=21

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    He deserves praise for getting that call correct. I could have swore that he was offside last night. I reckon Ollie has egg on his face this morning after his half hour touchline rantathon after the goal. That was excellent officiating , it deserves praise when it’s due. We are all guilty of sticking the knife into officials when they get things wrong.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 13/11/2021 at 2:01 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Thanks to Pats for all but confirming our place in Premier Division next season. I think we will find it tougher next season given our budget and Shels being an improvement on Longford. If Waterford manage to stay up they will be massively improved also. We will need some shrewd signings but Clancy's been good in the transfer windows before so hopefully that trend continues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    He deserves praise for getting that call correct. I could have swore that he was offside last night. I reckon Ollie has egg on his face this morning after his half hour touchline rantathon after the goal. That was excellent officiating , it deserves praise when it’s due. We are all guilty of sticking the knife into officials when they get things wrong.
    Why do you reckon Waterford will improve.
    They have new investors ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I agree Bradley needs to be a little less rigid in terms of system , however I think that was ‘forced’ on him when we lost JB& McEneff and Farrugia out injured- that removed a huge amount of pace from us and left us playing a laboured/metronomic style ( which did deliver a title with a huge winning margin).

Brining in JB (maybe) plus 2 other expected major signings and a return to fitness for Farrugia plus I expect a lot more from Towell will IMO see us kick on next season.

Also the management situation at Rovers isn’t solely about Bradley ; what’s got us to where we now are is his first team coaching, the role played in recruitment / player development by McPhail and also the fruits of the academy investment that are starting to come through to both the first team and also our bank balance via over €2m in last three years.

I know I’m the first to bitch about Bradley when we play in the lazy embarrassing manner as we did last night but in the round he and the others in the background have done a brilliant job by delivering two titles and cup and more importantly putting in the solid foundations to allow that continue rather than having a boom and bust model.

So of course he won’t be sacked but to say that is based on loyalty is incorrect - it’s based on what he’s personally delivered as part of the overall club management , that may change but no sign of that- my only concern is that he might get headhunted - but at least we have a very good quality succession plan to cover that already in place albeit nothing can be 100% guaranteed
    Fair comments, I obviously wouldnt know the detailed ins and outs of his wider background efforts at Rovers. I will throw out the argument that with all the structures in place, effective technical director in McPhail, and a succession plan in place etc, that Bradley could become a part victim of his own success and is less important as a result of his behind the scene efforts. In contrast to how big a loss Stephen Kenny was to Dundalk, not being far down the road in development of structures. A run of bad results especially if the loss of Byrne and McEneff can no longer be pointed to as a reason for being sub par, flop in Europe and he could be more exposed that you would think. Its sounds a bit like he now just has to pick his players and go, with so many bases covered and even young players well drilled in how the the 1st team plays so can slot in at short notice. Being so well structured, could in part at least, also contribute to his tendency not to stray far from his tried and tested.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast