Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Tier Talk - A Championship Mk II

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's a disjointed one given the amount of leagues that aren't connected. And effectively useless as a result. So if it's a pyramid, it's not remotely worth red name in practice
    It's a start though. No point lashing out against a Third Tier because you want a full pyramid, which essentially ignores the huge complexities involved in getting to that stage.

Get the 3rd tier in place, hopefully it will prove successful, and then the gap between senior and intermediate/junior football will have shrunk. That should then help with doing all the other stuff needed to extend the pyramid further down in future. But if you're saying no to a 3rd tier until there is a complete pyramid in Irish football, you will probably be waiting a long time. Some more pyramid is better than none.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's not a start though. It's an extension of an existing failed system. It has the potential to be worse than no pyramid - again, I'll cite how the A Championship screwed over Tralee Dynamoes and led to three Galway teams in the First Division.

The way to extend a pyramid is to provide links between existing leagues - eg Conference and Fourth Division in England, or Highland/Lowland League to League Two in Scotland. But what's below the First Division here is an utter mess, and I think that probably does need to be sorted out first (particularly the different seasons, but also the LSL/AUL/UCL nonsense, and the county leagues which just lead to clubs being happy being big fish in small ponds)

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    The Ulster Senior League from posts on here is struggling to gain traction. It is similarly difficult to see a Munster Senior League (currently a Cork Senior League!) gaining traction for the 5 other counties.
    A third tier obviously doesn't create a pyramid. It can however be the first building block. We can't just magic up clubs as is said often. People can't be magically moving clubs from one league to another either.

Example 1) 24 first teams, 6 second teams and 4 third level teams is possibly achievable in the next 3 to 5 years:
    Premier Division - 10 teams
    First Division - 10 teams
    National League - 14 teams

Example 2) 28 first teams, 9 second teams and 6 third level teams is possibly achievable in the next 5 to 10 years:
    Premier Division - 10 teams
    First Division - 10 teams
    National League 1 - 10 teams
    National League 2 - 13 teams

The league needs to get to a level where there is a clear pathway to join the league. The clear onus then would be on those not involved to join or not. The Premier Division and First Division should have a set number of teams e.g. 10 each.
    The third tier should be adaptable based on numbers. If the third tier attracts more than 16 teams for example, it can be the trigger point to expand to a fourth tier.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You think we can find 9 new senior clubs in the next 3-5 years, or 18 new clubs in the next 5-10 years?

Seriously?

Of the 19 clubs in the LoI now, all bar Wexford were in the league in 1985, when the First Division was formed. We have effectively added one club in nearly 40 years - while also going from 22 to 19 clubs in the same time - and you think we can add a nett 9 new sides in the next 5 years?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 03/07/2022 at 8:15 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    I'll give him the 24 first teams in five years, as it's not beyond bounds that Mayo, Kildare, Kilkenny and Monaghan might join within that timeframe, depending on what happens with Kerry, but are university teams really likely to have any interest in a third tier?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Do Kilkenny exist in any form at the moment?

I think to get two of those four in the next five years - plus Kerry of course - would be an achievement. (I agree with you when you say "It's not beyond bounds that any of them might join")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    You think we can find 9 new senior clubs in the next 3-5 years, or 18 new clubs in the next 5-10 years?

Seriously?

Of the 19 clubs in the LoI now, all bar Wexford were in the league in 1985, when the First Division was formed. We have effectively added one club in nearly 40 years, and you think we can add 9 in the next 5 years?
    "A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined."
    The A Championship had 8 first teams over 4 years. With Kerry possibly showing the way from youth leagues to senior, an A Championship Mk II can potentially attract 8 new senior clubs over 5 to 10 years.
    4 potential new clubs are currently in the youth leagues. If 4 can successfully integrate to Third Tier / A Championship Mk II, will it influence other unrepresented district league regions to follow suit?
    Secondly, third level teams can be invited to join the Third Tier / A Championship Mk II. Third level teams can be exempt from the youth leagues but ineligible for a promotion/relegation play-off. A First Division licence should only be granted to first teams who have teams in the youth leagues as well.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Of the 19 clubs in the LoI now, all bar Wexford were in the league in 1985, when the First Division was formed[
    Don't forget that one of your leading clubs, Derry City, kinda "fell into your lap" in 1985, too.

We have effectively added one club in nearly 40 years - while also going from 22 to 19 clubs in the same time
    (Not making any political statement, but) It would be 18 but for the unusual/one-off circumstances of their joining the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    "A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined."
    The A Championship had 8 first teams over 4 years
    The A Championship was a failure. Will clubs want to go for what is essentially the exact same thing?

Would the FAI even let Salthill/Mervue apply given they they then quietly booted them out of the LoI to let Galway back in?

Cobh obviously won't be joining the LoI - they're already in it - so that's another of the eight gone.

Castlebar and Tullamore both withdrew from the league in 2010 - not a ringing endorsement there either.

Leaves Tralee (ie Kerry FC), Fanad and Carlow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    "Are university teams really likely to have any interest in a third tier?"
    I'd like to know too and I don't take it for granted that they will. It is achievable however for the likes of UCC, UL and NUIG to join a third tier, for players going beyond U19 level and going to university. There should at least be exploration talks between the FAI and universities, if they haven't taken place already. When the third tier was reported on last November, there was mention of "sides from the university and college ranks". I've taken my cue from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    The A Championship was a failure. Will clubs want to go for what is essentially the exact same thing?

Would the FAI even let Salthill/Mervue apply given they they then quietly booted them out of the LoI to let Galway back in?

Cobh obviously won't be joining the LoI - they're already in it - so that's another of the eight gone.

Castlebar and Tullamore both withdrew from the league in 2010 - not a ringing endorsement there either.

The youth leagues exist now and did not back in 2008-2011. Non LoI clubs can progress from Youth League to a third tier, if formed. The Youth League implementation of non LoI entities from non LoI areas joining can be extended to the third tier. This should avoid a repeat of the Salthill and Mervue situation.
    2011 was signalled as the final season of the A Championship. Premier Division clubs were lobbying against having to field a second team. Castlebar and Tullamore weren't ready to apply for a First Division licence. A third tier in this current time should be for progress from youth level to senior level.
    If a third tier is to be formed, at least 8 to 10 clubs will be required. It would be great to have a platform available for the 4 non LoI clubs at youth level. Noone is expecting a third tier to get off the ground unless a number of LoI clubs are involved. A third tier should be optional for LoI clubs. Are there 4 to 6 LoI clubs likely to be interested in having a second team for their players moving beyond U19 level?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

FC Carlow don't exist either, I'm pretty sure they haven't since the A Championship ended and, if memory serves, they did apply for a First Division place. All of which only goes to show what a failure the A Championship was.

This theory that the youth leagues are a silver bullet/branch to pluck senior teams from is wishful thinking too though. LOADS of entities have played at various underage levels in my time following the league. UL played at one stage in (I think) the old U-21 league. They were terrible but I remember Roy O'Donovan playing for Cork's U-21s either on trial or just after he'd signed against them. Lifford out in Ennis played around the same time. It doesn't really mean anything other than there are always some clubs who are happy to play at that level without necessarily every intending to step up to senior. Sligo/Leitrim had a team too, Dublin University, NUIG. I'm pretty sure Mervue and Salthill started in the under-age leagues, for better or worse. Did Garda FC play underage at one point too or am I imagining it?

All that said I'd like to see a third tier in place if they can rustle up any sort of motley combination of clubs. I wouldn't be convinced of it's longevity either though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Are Shamrock Rovers the only club with a desire and the means to field a second team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    The 'A' Championship was a half-baked idea, that offered no real long plans for new teams joining, and was only there for the reserve teams. It still attracted the interest of 7 non-league members. Salthill and Mervue being promoted were just accidents because the FAI wasn't paying attention to any medium or long-term plans for the Championship.
    --------
    By making this a new 'tier' of Irish football, instead of just a reserve league which the 'A' Championship was, you are saying that 1) it will be permanent (will have more resources/ more effort), 2) it will have prestige (not an 'A' Championship team but an LOI team).

I would still say this tier is a far more attractive option for clubs who want to expand past their junior leagues. These junior and intermediate leagues currently have plenty of issues. I know from talking with some, that there is frustration with the 'ceiling' for development, player retention abilities, and costs.

These leagues also hold less relative prestige than the LOI from a decade ago. For example, at the time of the A Championship, nearly every week, LOI clubs were in the news about potentially going to the wall. Now they are in the news for European runs and providing players for the National team. That makes a big difference for clubs.
    ---------------
    I think this Tier offers a lot more to non-league clubs than maybe you guys realise. I wouldn't be surprised if there was significant interest from non-LOI clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Are Shamrock Rovers the only club with a desire and the means to field a second team?
    I’d say Derry,Dundalk and maybe Pats would be interested in one aswell…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    The 'A' Championship was a half-baked idea, that offered no real long plans for new teams joining, and was only there for the reserve teams.
    But is the same not the case of the proposed third tier? It seems exactly the same just with a new name. I don't see how that adds extra prestige. Reserve teams are likely to be a core part of the division. The LSL voting against a switch to summer soccer indicates that there's still no (viable) medium or long-term plans for the division. There's nothing to stop it being done away with in the same way that the A Championship was - especially if the teams with reserve sides get cold feet. If there's only six clubs in the division, what do you do?

New third tier sides won't have to worry about European runs, so I don't think that news would be particularly relevant. In the last decade, we've lost a fair few clubs Monaghan, Limerick, Waterford United, Wexford Youths, Mervue, SD Galway, Cabinteely, Shamrock Rovers B, Shamrock Rovers II - all have left the league since 2012, either for financial reasons or because they didn't fit the FAI's plans.

I'm honestly not seeing what's changed since the A Championship days other than the youth leagues, and how relevant that is I'm not quite sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I’d say Derry,Dundalk and maybe Pats would be interested in one aswell…
    Pat's? Pat's were one of the main culprits in shooting down the A Championship. Pat's and Sligo absolutely detested being required to field a second team in the old A Championship.
    Limerick 2008/2010/2011, Sporting Fingal 2009, Finn Harps 2010/2011 and Shelbourne 2010 are examples of First Division clubs who took part in the A Championship without obligation. First Division clubs partaking without obligation would give a glimmer of hope that enough LoI second teams is achievable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Pat's? Pat's were one of the main culprits in shooting down the A Championship. Pat's and Sligo absolutely detested being required to field a second team in the old A Championship.
    Limerick 2008/2010/2011, Sporting Fingal 2009, Finn Harps 2010/2011 and Shelbourne 2010 are examples of First Division clubs who took part in the A Championship without obligation. First Division clubs partaking without obligation would give a glimmer of hope that enough LoI second teams is achievable.

It was just an opinion but that’s quite a while ago and the football landscape has changed a lot since then ,I’d think clubs would definitely find more value in reserves sides with more players staying longer than they would have back then,maybe I’m wrong,Pats underage setup is as good as there is in the league at the minute….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Any club with a decent academy should be interested in retaining some of the players from under 19s and also testing some of the better younger players against Men.
    Particularly the ones near the top of the table where its obviously harder to blood younger players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    "Are university teams really likely to have any interest in a third tier?"
    I'd like to know too and I don't take it for granted that they will. It is achievable however for the likes of UCC, UL and NUIG to join a third tier, for players going beyond U19 level and going to university. There should at least be exploration talks between the FAI and universities, if they haven't taken place already. When the third tier was reported on last November, there was mention of "sides from the university and college ranks". I've taken my cue from there.
    I'd say most university teams are a non-runner. Mostly due to the calendar season.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast