Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Tier Talk - A Championship Mk II

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Kerry for samovars instead of Kerry for Sam?
    Kerry for S.A.M* ?

*(Surface to Air Missiles).

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Outstanding!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I humbly direct everyone to the Limerick FC Facebook page where rather than contact kids with details of the upcoming trials they've just posted a big list of children and told any children not on the list that they might have missed to contact them

Three cheers for the child protection officer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I humbly direct everyone to the Limerick FC Facebook page where rather than contact kids with details of the upcoming trials they've just posted a big list of children and told any children not on the list that they might have missed to contact them

Holy sweet Mother, imagine the kids on that list that were trying to go for a trial on the Quiet..........apart from anything else...
    Shocking

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

Whoever is running that page/comms for the club is in desperate need of even the most basic IT training. Forget about Mail Merge, they need to figure out what the red lines underneath words mean.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Looking at the current state of play with the current non-League underage sides, Dan McDonnell is reporting that Mayo have withdrawn for 2023, as they are still run by their Schoolboys League, and weren't ready to set up a separate legal company:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-42315626.html

The article states that Cavan/Monaghan have also pulled out, and contrasts this with the current positions of CK United and Kildare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    A disappointing development in Mayo and Cavan/Monaghan. Hopefully it'll just be a step back before many steps forward.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Disappointing developments but after reading the article I think there's positives to be taken from the fact that the FAI is actually imposing the licensing requirements properly.
    Refusing the second Mayo entity with the view the ensuring something works in the county long term. Hopefully Mayo and Cavan/Monaghan will come back with more solid foundations in place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    ... but after reading the article I think there's positives to be taken from the fact that the FAI is actually imposing the licensing requirements properly.
    Refusing the second Mayo entity with the view the ensuring something works in the county long term...
    Fair point. When there was a free spot in the First Division there was no knee jerk reaction to fill the gap. They went with 9 clubs for the season and the process of Kerry applying for and being assessed for a license seemed to be a fair process.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Just looking at this and seeing the progress of CK United it seems very likely that they'd be one of the first teams in line for a third tier as they have an u19 team in both men's and women's and a few other underage men's teams. The question of where they will play their home games is something that is bound to come up though.

At the moment their Men's u19 team are now playing at Killeshin FC, in County Laois but close to Carlow town with other teams playing at St Patrick's Boys FC in Carlow town.

The obvious answer to a Carlow/Kilkenny club would be the refurbish Buckley Park in Kilkenny but I may be wrong on this but I've always had the feeling that this club is more Carlow than Kilkenny - I don't know is there any connection to the FC Carlow club that played in the A Championship for a season.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Just looking at this and seeing the progress of CK United it seems very likely that they'd be one of the first teams in line for a third tier as they have an u19 team in both men's and women's and a few other underage men's teams. The question of where they will play their home games is something that is bound to come up though.

At the moment their Men's u19 team are now playing at Killeshin FC, in County Laois but close to Carlow town with other teams playing at St Patrick's Boys FC in Carlow town.

The obvious answer to a Carlow/Kilkenny club would be the refurbish Buckley Park in Kilkenny but I may be wrong on this but I've always had the feeling that this club is more Carlow than Kilkenny - I don't know is there any connection to the FC Carlow club that played in the A Championship for a season.
    The FC Carlow team played out of Ballon if I remember right. There's a decent junior scene in Carlow and if the club could base themselves out of Carlow town they'd have potential to do well.

The obvious go-to ground would be Carlow IT as most of the grounds in the Carlow league are basic fields and parks.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The FC Carlow team played out of Ballon if I remember right. There's a decent junior scene in Carlow and if the club could base themselves out of Carlow town they'd have potential to do well.

The obvious go-to ground would be Carlow IT as most of the grounds in the Carlow league are basic fields and parks.
    Im not familar with underage down that side of the country wot does CK stand for? Is that Carlow Kilkenny?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Yes, Carlow-Kilkenny, they were run by the local District League, but as per the new FAI policy, they had to incorporate as a separate club this year.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Now theres a Kerry LoI side in Division 1 does Legendz stick with the call for a third tier where there could be relegation risk or narrow the perspective to protect his own club? Im not sure Id see a bigger picture if Dundalk were at risk in some way (even with league restructures, dvds, Drogheda's AIL efforts et al having come and gone wihout killing us off).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    If it goes ahead as planned next year, and by that point Kerry FC haven't progressed to any significant degree over their second season, then absolutely, they would merit relegation, whether that should be automatically, or by play-off against the best placed senior team in the lower tier, and indeed having to regroup might help to become more competitive in the long run. That said, the delay to 2024, which effectively makes this season a "free run", may help to sort out which squad members will ultimately deserve new contracts, or indeed whether new inputs at coaching and admin levels might be required.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Now theres a Kerry LoI side in Division 1 does Legendz stick with the call for a third tier where there could be relegation risk or narrow the perspective to protect his own club? Im not sure Id see a bigger picture if Dundalk were at risk in some way (even with league restructures, dvds, Drogheda's AIL efforts et al having come and gone wihout killing us off).
    If a third tier club hold a First Division licence and are the top first team in the third tier, they should get to playoff against 10th in the First Division.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Interesting and in many ways refreshing that the default mode is not typical of the old LoI 'now were in lets keep the safer status quo'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    There seems to be a good balance to the two divisions of 10. A single third tier seems to be the next logical step. A mix of first teams and B teams. If a third tier gets off the ground I think it will require at least 6 B teams and 2 first teams e.g. CK and Kildare.
    Outside of Shamrock Rovers, are there 5 clubs likely to be able to commit to fielding a second team? If a third tier gets off the ground, there will be an established pathway. If Bernard O'Byrne is to target LoI football in Meath, the blueprint to follow will be build up through the youth leagues and after U19, continue at the third tier level. Attain a First Division licence and earn a playoff shot.
    A third tier can be multipurpose. An opportunity for new clubs to build. An opportunity for youth players in bigger clubs to build up experience in their second teams, after U19 before potentially breaking into their first teams.
    Did James McClean play for Derry in the A Championship?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    For clubs in the larger catchment areas its a no brainer to have a B team. I hope there is the ability to play senior players returning from injury, limited to say 3 senior slots. Can U19s be drafted in also as they can with the senior side if need be. I could see it as a bit of a struggle for Dundalk to have a decent quality number of B team players unless there is a recruitment drive and scout in to Monaghan, maybe a few cast offs from Dublin academies. Im not sure we still have the link up with Malahide. It could also be worth looking toward Souh Down/Armagh. If B teams are not obviously able to be promoted then using the third tier for return to play for senior players is a significant incentive. I wouldnt want to weaken an u19 side as the effort should be to target a stint in European comp for invaluable player development and experience. It could also allow for local players to be scouted and brought in to see if they can make an impact though I dont know what the relationship is with junior sides in AUL/MDL local teams and whther they would allow their sides being weakened. Dundalk FC have not been great imo with youth development bar occasional talent like O'Kane, Adedokan, young Mayo, Odumosu even, so to varying degress there are a few young lads that were on the books that are about the league, Adedokan still at Brentford I think. But we need to get better in this area. To kick on i'd like to see joint initiatives with local education providers eg maybe a some boarders scholarships with the likes of Dundalk Grammar School and then DkIT. Make the club attractive on a much more rounded basis than just football and then develop a B side from there.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    There seems to be a good balance to the two divisions of 10. A single third tier seems to be the next logical step. A mix of first teams and B teams. If a third tier gets off the ground I think it will require at least 6 B teams and 2 first teams e.g. CK and Kildare.
    Outside of Shamrock Rovers, are there 5 clubs likely to be able to commit to fielding a second team? If a third tier gets off the ground, there will be an established pathway. If Bernard O'Byrne is to target LoI football in Meath, the blueprint to follow will be build up through the youth leagues and after U19, continue at the third tier level. Attain a First Division licence and earn a playoff shot.
    A third tier can be multipurpose. An opportunity for new clubs to build. An opportunity for youth players in bigger clubs to build up experience in their second teams, after U19 before potentially breaking into their first teams.
    Did James McClean play for Derry in the A Championship?
    As far as I remember JMC played for Derry 1st team XI.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast