Thread: Third Tier Talk - A Championship Mk II

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Compete against whom?
    I guess Ealing based from what I have read in this thread so far would be clubs that have a U19 side lookin to get into LOI Klub Kildare Carlow-Kilkenny etc.Mightnt have the team names right though?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Interesting story coming from Mayo that they’re putting together an u21 Development squad that will play against some LoI clubs.

Surely this is fairly obvious step towards creating a side that will compete in a third tier.
    CK United and Klub Kildare seem to be taking the better steps towards creating a side to compete in the third tier.
    Also I see a few soundings again, this time from Declan Devine, about having u21 teams for LoI clubs.
    Are many LoI clubs likely to commit to more than soundings? Six fully committed LoI reserve teams, CK United and Klub Kildare should be enough to get a third tier off the ground.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Klub Kildare can't be let in with that name. It sounds like a summer camp for primary school kids.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Six fully committed LoI reserve teams, CK United and Klub Kildare should be enough to get a third tier off the ground.
    Whatever else you might call it, a construction like that simply could not be considered to be a "Third Tier" of the LOI.

For implicit in any such deal is the idea that Licencing permitted, each participant should theoretically at least be capable of getting promoted to the next level up, with every FD club capable of being relegated into it, also prepared to drop down.

Simple fact is, many (most?) other league pyramids also have Reserve Leagues and/or under-age leagues eg U-23's/U21's/U-19's etc, but these run in tandem with the pyramid, not as part of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Whatever else you might call it, a construction like that simply could not be considered to be a "Third Tier" of the LOI.

For implicit in any such deal is the idea that Licencing permitted, each participant should theoretically at least be capable of getting promoted to the next level up, with every FD club capable of being relegated into it, also prepared to drop down.

Simple fact is, many (most?) other league pyramids also have Reserve Leagues and/or under-age leagues eg U-23's/U21's/U-19's etc, but these run in tandem with the pyramid, not as part of it.
    Well it'd be better than nothing!
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Actually most other pyramids have the reserve structure built in (though not underage teams)

So FC Basel II are in the Swiss third tier, Molde II are in the Norwegian fourth tier, Legia Warsaw II are in the Polish fourth tier, PAOK II are in the Greek second tier, and so on.

That said, a third tier of six reserve teams plus two other sides, as legendz suggests, isn't really a third tier. You can't add two teams to a reserve league and pretend it's a senior division.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Was surprised to learn only today that the Dutch have had a right dong dong to try to get a fully functioning pyramid established with clubs not wanting to meet the criteria to join the professional second tier mostly. The second tier there has twenty clubs & four of those were the reserve / youth sides of Ajax / Utrecht / PSV & AZ this season.

All the leagues are connected by a promotion and relegation system, but in order to be promoted to the Eerste Divisie a club has to submit a solid business plan to be approved by the Royal Dutch Football Association, as well as meet certain stadium demands, and some other demands that the association stated for all the teams in the top two leagues.

Before 2010 there was no promotion and relegation (based on league result) between the highest amateur level (back then the Hoofdklasse) and the professional leagues. In the 2010–11 season the Topklasse was introduced as an intermediate level between the professional and amateur leagues. Promotion was optional, so it was possible that the IJsselmeervogels who won the 2010–11 Topklasse, was not promoted because they did not want to be bound to the demands for playing in the Eerste Divisie.

In 2016 the Tweede Divisie was (re)introduced between the Topklasse (renamed to Derde Divisie) and Eerste Divisie to further work on stimulating promotion and relegation between the amateur and professional leagues. However, due to resistance from the amateur clubs to meet the demands for the professional leagues and worries from the professional clubs to face bankruptcy after relegation, mandatory promotion and relegation has been postponed until at least the 2022–23 season.

From 2023 to 2024, promotion and relegation between Eerste Divisie and Tweede Divisie has been introduced.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Well it'd be better than nothing!
    It sure would.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That said, a third tier of six reserve teams plus two other sides, as legendz suggests, isn't really a third tier. You can't add two teams to a reserve league and pretend it's a senior division.
    Fair comment. It can be a starting point though. There are very few potential new first teams building through the youth structures put in place. Shamrock Rovers are the only standout candidate to field a reserve team. A so-called third tier will be doing well to start with 8 teams as suggested. It will also be doing well to have 4 first teams and upto 10 reserve teams long-term.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Actually most other pyramids have the reserve structure built in (though not underage teams)

So FC Basel II are in the Swiss third tier, Molde II are in the Norwegian fourth tier, Legia Warsaw II are in the Polish fourth tier, PAOK II are in the Greek second tier, and so on.
    Fair dues, I stand corrected.

Though looking closer, most of those leagues have rather more than 20 clubs in their top two tiers i.e. before you get to where the Reserve teams are. And when you do get there,. you're usually talking 3 or 4 Reserve teams in a division of maybe 12, 14 or 16 teams. That is, they supplement the pyramid, rather than (effectively) being it.

And in any case, 8 teams is not generally a proper basis for a league of any sort - 10 is usually the minimum.

Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    CK United and Klub Kildare seem to be taking the better steps towards creating a side to compete in the third tier.
    Are many LoI clubs likely to commit to more than soundings? Six fully committed LoI reserve teams, CK United and Klub Kildare should be enough to get a third tier off the ground.
    I'd have serious reservations around CK United entering the League at the moment.

This thread came back to life because I asked where they intended to play should this ever happen but there is nothing remotely suitable to being a League of Ireland ground that their teams currently use from what I can see.

On top of that their u19 team have lost all 10 of their matches in the first phase of the u19 League - so if anyone thinks Kerry FC are bad this season these lads would bring it to a whole new level next season. I'd imagine there would be some link-up with Carlow IT should they join the League, so they may get facilities and a team that way!

John Caulfield had a piece in the programme this weekend about the need for an u23/development team - he's been getting a bit of stick for his lack of use of underage players when we're cruising to wins in a lot of matches this season.

I would hope that if the 3rd tier is supplemented by these type of teams that they can't be promoted to Division 1 as happens in some other leagues.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    I'd have serious reservations around CK United entering the League at the moment.

This thread came back to life because I asked where they intended to play should this ever happen but there is nothing remotely suitable to being a League of Ireland ground that their teams currently use from what I can see.

On top of that their u19 team have lost all 10 of their matches in the first phase of the u19 League - so if anyone thinks Kerry FC are bad this season these lads would bring it to a whole new level next season. I'd imagine there would be some link-up with Carlow IT should they join the League, so they may get facilities and a team that way!

John Caulfield had a piece in the programme this weekend about the need for an u23/development team - he's been getting a bit of stick for his lack of use of underage players when we're cruising to wins in a lot of matches this season.

I would hope that if the 3rd tier is supplemented by these type of teams that they can't be promoted to Division 1 as happens in some other leagues.
    Just have the same rules that applied in the old A Championship - not just that the reserve sides couldn't be promoted, but the senior clubs would have to finish in the top three of the division to qualify for a play-off with the bottom First Division team, which would ensure that if they did come through that process, they would be able to make an impression on the second tier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Just have the same rules that applied in the old A Championship - not just that the reserve sides couldn't be promoted, but the senior clubs would have to finish in the top three of the division to qualify for a play-off with the bottom First Division team, which would ensure that if they did come through that process, they would be able to make an impression on the second tier.
    So effectively you're resurrecting the old 'A' Championship, but with a minor tweak.

What could possibly go wrong?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Championship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Agreed on most of that. If a first team hold a First Division licence, finish as the top first team and are in the top half, e.g. 4 of 8 or 5 of 9, let them in a playoff. An active playoff system as much as possible within reason will give first teams in a third tier a lifeline. First Division clubs have been given a lifeline by 2nd to 5th entering the playoffs.
    So effectively you're resurrecting the old 'A' Championship, but with a minor tweak.

What could possibly go wrong?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Championship
    The main problem with the A Championship was that some Premier clubs detested having to enter a side. Pat's and Sligo were fiercely against it. The solution should have to remove the obligation on Premier clubs and possibly have attempted one national league instead of north and south. A lesson learned from the A Championship is not to have a repeat of the 3 clubs in Galway situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Another team who will want in will be Limerick FC.

Pat O’Sullivan is still keeping this entity alive and likely will apply to A Championship.

Can the League/FAI just flat out refuse? I’d imagine he’ll have Hogan Park as their home venue.

This would bring back memories of the Galway situation. I don’t know would he have any clout to bring in decent Junior players.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I'm probably more on the periphery of football in Limerick than you are at this stage JC but I wouldn't take it as a given that POS has any real interest in going senior again.

I doubt he can afford it anyway and the current 'project' is a convenient enough faux-altruistic shield for him to hide behind without risking any further exposure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I'm probably more on the periphery of football in Limerick than you are at this stage JC but I wouldn't take it as a given that POS has any real interest in going senior again.

I doubt he can afford it anyway and the current 'project' is a convenient enough faux-altruistic shield for him to hide behind without risking any further exposure.
    I presume his only interest is in keeping the "rights" to the Limerick name in League of Ireland football. I'm not sure he can just do that by running one "academy" team who just get hammered in every match they play, which is why I think he would be looking to enter a side in the A Championship. If he even causes some doubt around the feasibility of Treaty United that's enough for him I'd imagine.

There's obviously something still badly wrong in Limerick football that Treaty haven't been a success - previously people pointed to the move away from Markets Field having killed the interest in it. I know the Junior scene is very strong and hurling is going through a golden generation in city and county but Treaty are one of a very small handful of clubs who don't seem to have benefitted at all from the newly found interest in League of Ireland.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Another team who will want in will be Limerick FC.

Pat O’Sullivan is still keeping this entity alive and likely will apply to A Championship.

Can the League/FAI just flat out refuse? I’d imagine he’ll have Hogan Park as their home venue.
    Just shows another problem with the current "We'll take whoever's interested" approach.

Ok, they shouldn't get promoted - unless the rest of the league is either ineligible for promotion or unsuited dross that loses pretty much every game at youth level and clearly isn't ready to step up to a third tier...

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    LOI should steer well clear of any POS-related venture, though I do genuinely doubt he'd make an application at this stage. I can't find how old he is now. but I presume he must be pushing on, I don't know how much of an actual role he has in whatever Limerick FC is now.

Regards Treaty support, there's a combination of reasons of course, but never underestimate the fairweather nature of a lot of the potential support in the city, which has always been the way. If Treaty started a non-stop winning run this weekend and were flying high on the top of the table they could start getting closer to four figures. Consistent mid-table/last play-off spot with no realistic chance of promotion will get them a few hundred. LFC was like that too, albeit with a base support that was a bit more numerous in fairness.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I resurrected this thread wondering about CK United and where they'd played. Someone on the GUFC forum posted that the club have submitted to Kilkenny County Council to keep Buckley Park zoned as Sporting/Community usage and that they'd be interested in being involved in being the anchor tenant.

The club is referred to Carlow Kilkenny FC, so that's obviously from before this season when they rebranded as CK United.

Still I suppose it is an indication of where they most likely see their future.

Meanwhile Mayo FC have successfully applied to be part of the u14 and u15 leagues next season with Kerry FC entering the Women's U17s from next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I resurrected this thread wondering about CK United and where they'd played. Someone on the GUFC forum posted that the club have submitted to Kilkenny County Council to keep Buckley Park zoned as Sporting/Community usage and that they'd be interested in being involved in being the anchor tenant.
    Stadium nerd that I am, I googled Buckley Park.

Seems to have been a very tidy stadium back in the day, but has been allowed to become very delapidated since:
    https://www.facebook.com/eireguide/p...R3wteMQPSqZQil

and

https://scoreline.ie/a-sad-sight-to-...of-lying-idle/

Would cost someone a lot of money to renovate it, I'd guess. Also seems to be a good bit out of the town (3-4 kms?).
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 26/06/2023 at 5:39 PM.

Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast