Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Tier Talk - A Championship Mk II

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    How will a catchment area clause affect Phibsborough?
    The only option is to merge the two clubs. A 2 legged playoff should be organised in a few years, 1st leg played in the new Dalymount, 2nd leg played on the pitch across the road from what will then be the rubble of Tolka Park. Winner gets to choose between the names Bohbourne or Shelhemians
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The problem is we're still extending a broken system by inviting anyone into the LoI who wants to join, rather than uniting the whole league system.

Say the MSL/LSL/USL/CSL were four regional third tiers. (I know there's no CSL/USL at the moment; you'd have to invent them back into existence). Two promotion spots - so the MSL/USL/CSL/LSL winners would all play off for two promotion spots. Would Salthill/Mervue be strong enough to get promoted to the First Division? And would they be strong enough to stay there then, bearing in mind they would have been relegated every year they were in the FD if there had been relegation?
    It sounds like this is a first step in addressing that situation. Nothing changes quickly in Irish football. The FAI will start with this, get more clubs from the main intermediate/senior leagues interested in having a foot in the LOI structures, and then presumably later on go for further integration.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 08/11/2021 at 3:17 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It is if the LSL/MSL/USL/whatever passes for the CSL are involved.

Otherwise it's effectively the exact same as the A Championship, which was a failure, and as Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    It is if the LSL/MSL/USL/whatever passes for the CSL are involved.

Otherwise it's effectively the exact same as the A Championship, which was a failure, and as Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    I suspect you're judging an initial step as if it's the entire journey.

It's been stated that the FAI CEo is in favour of a pyramid structure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ruud Dokter was in favour of a pyramid all the time he was with the FAI, and that worked out well. Intentions don't always work out in Irish football.

I don't see any particular reason why, if the LSL/MSL/etc snub this, that things would turn out any different to before.

Obviously if the top clubs there do jump in, that would be a very positive development. But then you've still got the fairly major (and idiotic) issue of different seasons to work around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The LSL committee tried to lay the groundwork to switch to a summer season a couple of years ago. This was part of a wider effort from Delaney-era FAI to move all soccer in that direction, In the LSL's case, that would have required a two-thirds approval from the clubs in order to pass. My sense from the meetings was that it would have struggled to reach 50%.

But then there was the FAI meltdown, which the DDSL took advantage of in order to revert to winter football, and of course COVID< so there hasn't been an in-person meeting of the LSL since then

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Looking at the LSL's website, I can't actually work out which is the top division. They appear to be divided up based the days of the week, which doesn't seem appropriate for the third highest level of football in the country.

Could the FAI just rescind their intermediate status? Set up new regional leagues that relegate to junior leagues and promote to the new A-Championship, with the LSL being one of these junior leagues until they decide to get with the program.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Could the FAI just rescind their intermediate status?
    In theory they probably could, but you'd never get them to actually action it as the LSL have representation on the FAI's Council (and possible the Board; I'm not sure)

Restructuring the Board may make it easier for that sort of reform, but the local leagues held way too much power in the past and it wasn't really worth upsetting them.

Also not entirely sure what practical impact unilaterally changing their status would have tbh
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/11/2021 at 5:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The LSL is well run by the standards of Irish soccer administration, and recent seasons have seen all the top clubs in the AUL (the other main Dublin-based league) move across to it. Other than a very small number of clubs who might harbour ambitions of joining the LOI, I'd wager that all its top intermediate clubs are happy to stay there and woudln't side with the FAI if it were to do something as insane as seek to wipe out the LSL unilaterally.

(The four intermediate divisions in the LSL are, in order, Senior Sunday, Senior 1 Sunday, Senior 1A Sunday and Senior 1B Sunday. Everything else is junior)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Ruud Dokter was in favour of a pyramid all the time he was with the FAI, and that worked out well. Intentions don't always work out in Irish football.
    Ruud Doktor was not in the FAI hot seat though.

I don't see any particular reason why, if the LSL/MSL/etc snub this, that things would turn out any different to before.

Obviously if the top clubs there do jump in, that would be a very positive development. But then you've still got the fairly major (and idiotic) issue of different seasons to work around.
    Maybe wait and see what happens, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Ruud Doktor was not in the FAI hot seat though.
    Well he did report to (I presume) the Board on development matters within his remit (including a pyramid), so he should have been reasonably influential on the matter. It would be better to have a receptive CEO, sure, but even he can't click his fingers and make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Maybe wait and see what happens, eh?
    Well...that's effectively what I've said?

But "let's wait and see" isn't great for forum chat, so why not discuss it now while we wait and see? Best of both worlds

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    https://twitter.com/themun244/status...565255682?s=21

I obviously admire the ambition of Ballymun United here but what does an LSL club require such a large (relatively speaking) seating capacity for? I wonder if they’ve been approached in regards to joining this potential third tier
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post

I obviously admire the ambition of Ballymun United here but what does an LSL club require such a large (relatively speaking) seating capacity for? I wonder if they’ve been approached in regards to joining this potential third tier
    That is a lot of seats for an intermediate club ! Must be some thinking behind it. Wonder would they be looking to land women's internationals, underage internationals etc ?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The lettering spelling out Ballymun UFC irritates me more than it should. Why not spell out Ballymun Utd? Unless they're trying to appeal to all the UFC fans in the area.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    On the whole B teams stuff (if this third tier doesnt work), could proper feeder clubs not be an option, kill two birds with one stone stuff. Link up with a junior or schoolboy club that wants a senior side, let them be separate entities though the senior club pays for the link and they send players on loan or first option transfer. The club stepping up gets players, coaches and a financial safety net. Leagues get teams willing to step up, people get to keep their little power bases with 'help'. People dont freak at the whole devaluing things, team can be promoted and relegated. The fly in the ointment for clubs wanting a B team is that players cant be registered or play for both teams outside usual transfer windows, which it should be with B team anyway. Create regional reserve league, or enter B teams in LSL/MSL who would be down teams too if there is interest in a third tier if it were to happen. I know the above doesnt solve issues that clubs are seeking eg player fitness after injury but its as square peg in round hole solution as railroading B teams on the 1st Division or a 3rd Division when leagues seasons differ.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post

Comment from the club in the thread questioning the opinion that there is a lack of support for LSL clubs with 600 at a local derby. Its laudable but its a vanity project unless there are greater ambitions than LSL. Maybe there is value in the additional income streams but it'd take years to cover initial outlay surely. I do like the idea of a launderette lol, having lived in a high density pokey apartment block in London, Dropping laundry off, go to game, pick up laundry after a match on the way home is appealing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Very impressive plans from Ballymun, best of luck to them. Am I right in saying there's no LOI club close to them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Very impressive plans from Ballymun, best of luck to them. Am I right in saying there's no LOI club close to them?
    Depends how you define close but Tolka and Dalymount are only about 6/7km away. I would consider Ballymun a Bohs area but then as a Bohs fan I come from a position of complete bias.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    It'd be a little couple of Km's if the Irish Sea crowd got use of Morton or anyone else needing a temporary home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    No good one anyway

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast