Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Tier Talk - A Championship Mk II

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Of course, it could also be argued that Donegal Celtic are the sporting inheritors of the club, but ironucally, they now find themselves in the same division as the ersatz club.
    It credibly can't though. I can only assume you're going by the 'Celtic' name and being form West Belfast, as those are the only things the two clubs have in common. There is no commonality or link.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I would say apologies if it's deemed offensive.
    Apologies accepted.

(Amd while "Offensive" might be a bit strong, no-one likes to see their neighbours nipping over the fence to pinch apples from their tree, or eggs from their henhouse!)

IWest side of N.Ire is fairly poorly represented within NIFL structures though. I'm simply suggesting those who share the viewpoint "nothing west of the Bann" may perhaps fancy their chances in an Ulster Senior League setup.
    Belfast Celtic [sic] are hardly West of the Bann!

Meanwhile regarding Senior football in NI, West of the Bann clubs include Dungannon Swifts in the Premiership (plus Colreaine on the Bann!); the Championship has Ballinamallard, Dergview and Institute; and from the Premier Intermediate League, there are Limavady, Moyola Park and Tobermore.

While the two westernmost of the four 4th tier Intermediate leagues have another 13 teams from West of the Bann.

And while I don't know how many Junior teams from the West there are, it must be close to 3 figures, eg the Fermanagh and Western alone has 30 separate teams in three divisions plus the same in three Reserve divisions.

In addition, a surprising number of the players at those clubs actually come from the border regions of ROI, since football is often better organised on the NI side than in their home counties.

Compare that level of represntation with that of whole swathes of Connacht in the LOI system, for instance.

Meanwhile, the Ulster Senior League has, I believe, a grand total of seven clubs, including the Reserve teams of Derry City and Finn Harps.

Therefore if there was to be any migration of clubs across the border, it would actually make more sense for the USL clubs to move into the NI system, before their league dies on its arse. (I'm not suggesting such a move, btw).

I could be wide of the mark, and living in fantasy land, but North-West of Ireland cross border intermediate cup this year was fairly successful and perhaps a blueprint for something bigger in future.
    There are excellent relations between clubs on both sides of the border - and long may it continue.

But that would very soon disappear if the LOI were to start "enticing" IL clubs to switch.

I mean, Ukraine got along fine with Russia until, well, you know where I'm going! (Joke, btw)
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 12/07/2022 at 11:48 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    "Under the Good Friday Agreement, Irish passports can be held by Irish citizens born on either side of the border."
    CAS agreed that the above allows players from all 32 counties represent the Republic of Ireland.
    If clubs identify with a 32 county Ireland, if they want to join the League of Ireland, if they meet the criteria and ifthe LoI/FAI are open to allowing them to join; should they be allowed to join?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    "Under the Good Friday Agreement, Irish passports can be held by Irish citizens born on either side of the border."
    CAS agreed that the above allows players from all 32 counties represent the Republic of Ireland.
    If clubs identify with a 32 county Ireland, if they want to join the League of Ireland, if they meet the criteria and ifthe LoI/FAI are open to allowing them to join; should they be allowed to join?
    Dear God...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Are we leaving aside the fact that the FAI was admitted to FIFA with an explicit mandate for just the 26 counties? (Derry being a one-off exception for well-discussed reasons, none of which are close to relevant now)

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are we leaving aside the fact that the FAI was admitted to FIFA with an explicit mandate for just the 26 counties? (Derry being a one-off exception for well-discussed reasons, none of which are close to relevant now)
    Belfast Celtic left the Irish League for political reasons, less than 40 years before Derry City joined the League of Ireland. It's a pity there wasn't foresight in 1949 to allow Belfast Celtic join the League of Ireland.
    The GFA arguably gives a new mandate for 32 county Republic of Ireland representation. Why exclude clubs who would associate with the Republic of Ireland?
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Why not Glasgow Celtic Colts for the shiny, new Mega A Championship National League then?

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    The Good Friday Agreement has nothing to do with UEFA/FIFA

What you identify as or how excluded you feel don't really have anything to do with the real world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Belfast Celtic left the Irish League for political reasons, less than 40 years before Derry City joined the League of Ireland. It's a pity there wasn't foresight in 1949 to allow Belfast Celtic join the League of Ireland.
    The GFA arguably gives a new mandate for 32 county Republic of Ireland representation. Why exclude clubs who would associate with the Republic of Ireland?
    Please, someone, make it stop.

Now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Indeed.

Meanwhile:
    https://www.nifootballleague.com/all...ry-city-women/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Then Derry City should rejoin the IFA since the reason of their original expulsion/exemption no longer exists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Then Derry City should rejoin the IFA since the reason of their original expulsion/exemption no longer exists.
    Fair enough - though they'd have to start at the bottom of the pyramid.

(Oh and while we're at it, does everyone on here know what a league pyramid is? )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Donegal Celtic were denied access to the Irish League for years. Lurgan Celtic also had problems with the IFA. An opportunity was lost to welcome them to the League of Ireland?
    I'll keep discussion on these clubs to a minimum. The desire to join the League of Ireland should come from these clubs, if they are supporters of the Republic of Ireland and if they want to be part of a 32 county league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Donegal Celtic were denied access to the Irish League for years. Lurgan Celtic also had problems with the IFA. An opportunity was lost to welcome them to the League of Ireland?
    I'll keep discussion on these clubs to a minimum. The desire to join the League of Ireland should come from these clubs, if they are supporters of the Republic of Ireland and if they want to be part of a 32 county league.
    Glasgow Celtic, welcome to the LOI Third Tier Championship A Mk II!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Alrighty, I'll try and carve up intermediate football myself then. This is built on the assumption that junior clubs want to play at a higher level.

Mid-West Football League.

Feeder leagues; Galway, Mayo,Roscommon, Combined Counties (Midlands)

Seems pretty straight forward to me, maybe some midlands clubs already in the LSL would object but the recent good performances of Connacht sides in the FAI Junior Cup should ease their worries.

North-West Football League.

Feeder leagues: Sligo & Leitrm, Donegal, Inishowen, Monaghan & Cavan.

Essentially just the USL plus Sligo & Leitrim.

Promotion and relegation should be easy enough seeing as it's only four feeder leagues in each. Idk enough about Leinster & Munster to pontificate on those leagues, but I really wish the LSL would do a bit of a rebrand. Cut this Major 1A Premier Senior Alliance Tuesday crap and just have a single Premier Division, no day of the week mentioned please. It'd be nice if everything below that was simply first, second, third etc.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    The opening post of a 2005 thread entitled: "Potential New EL Teams"

"The thread on re-election to the first division got me thinking about potential areas/clubs for new EL clubs. Kildare Countys recent addition has been a success and they are certainly a positive addition to the league. With good community backing there is certainly a few potential areas/clubs who could also be an addition to the league.

Mullingar currently have two teams competing separately in the Under 21 EL which would suggest the potential is there.

The Kerry League and Mayo League have also got teams at EL under 21 level and perhaps places such as Tralee/Killarney or Castlebar might have the population to be able to sustain a local team.

The Wexford league are making great strides at underage level under the astute guidance of Mick Wallace.

And perhaps other towns/citys such as Ennis, Cavan and or in Tipp (in Thurles/Roscrea or Nenagh) would have the potential as well.

Also with the growing population of Dublin satelite towns there could be the potential for an EL team in the likes of Navan, Naas, Maynooth and Wicklow Town.

Obviously forming an EL team from scratch would be no easy task, and huge work and investment would be required. But it would be great to see the EL diversify a little (especially with there being only ten teams in Division one)."

https://foot.ie/threads/26166-Potent...l+new+EL+Teams

Haven't we seen this movie before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Glasgow Celtic, welcome to the LOI Third Tier Championship A Mk II!
    😉
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Alrighty, I'll try and carve up intermediate football myself then. This is built on the assumption that junior clubs want to play at a higher level.

Seems pretty straight forward to me, maybe some midlands clubs already in the LSL would object but the recent good performances of Connacht sides in the FAI Junior Cup should ease their worries.

Promotion and relegation should be easy enough seeing as it's only four feeder leagues in each. Idk enough about Leinster & Munster to pontificate on those leagues, but I really wish the LSL would do a bit of a rebrand. Cut this Major 1A Premier Senior Alliance Tuesday crap and just have a single Premier Division, no day of the week mentioned please. It'd be nice if everything below that was simply first, second, third etc.
    Very sensible. An extra step would be for your North-West and Mid-West leagues to then to offer promotion to one Western League.
    Munster could have a South-West League (Clare, Kerry and 2 Limerick district leagues) and a South-East League (2 Tipperary district leagues and 2 Waterford district leagues). An extra step here then would be for the South-West and South-East leagues to then to offer promotion to one Southern League. As you say, these structures would require a desire from district leagues to play at a higher level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post

Summer football?

Winter football?

Both?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    That's where the FAI should step in, as they did with senior football in the early 2000s, saying there would be a short transitional season in the autumn, in order for all the intermediate and junior leagues to align to the summer football calendar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Summer football?

Winter football?

Both?
    Probably both, leaving a permanent gap between senior and intermediate. Nobody will be happy, the earth will keep spinning
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast