Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 118 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    For what it's worth we really haven't had a tendency to announce new contracts for managers, rightly or wrongly. Never mind that there's even been several cases in recent years where players have turned up in pre-season having signed new deals that neither the club announced nor any media member picked up on. Understand the skepticism but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was true given that's just how the club has done things for much of recent history.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    What budget would he have. Longford need a lot more than a manager

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    If O’Donnell did sign a contract in September then at any point from then until now Pats could’ve announced it. Even if they didn’t want to publicly announce it they could’ve leaked it to a journo and the information would be in the public domain.
    It strikes me as very odd that all of a sudden when O’Donnell appears to be leaving that this info is now being leaked to some fans. A cynic would think that Pats are trying a bit of damage limitation to paint O’Donnell in a bad light to take the focus off them not having him or a lot of players signed up.
    I’ll caveat the above by saying I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a contract signed but now wants to leave. That’s the nature of football.
    As I said, he’s in contract at Pats…

https://twitter.com/mcdonnelldan/sta...301218309?s=21

If he was out of contract there would be nothing to iron out between the clubs (ie, the compensation fee Dundalk will be paying Pats). It would already be a done deal. Also the reason he mentions they won’t be an obstacle to his move to Dundalk is because Pats are not going to keep a manager that doesn’t want to be there, that would be a ridiculous decision
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...paign=sharebar

This article suggesting he is not under contract.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...paign=sharebar

This article suggesting he is not under contract.
    Yes and there was also media reporting yesterday that the move to Dundalk was off. Journalists get things wrong
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    As I said, he’s in contract at Pats…

https://twitter.com/mcdonnelldan/sta...301218309?s=21

If he was out of contract there would be nothing to iron out between the clubs (ie, the compensation fee Dundalk will be paying Pats). It would already be a done deal. Also the reason he mentions they won’t be an obstacle to his move to Dundalk is because Pats are not going to keep a manager that doesn’t want to be there, that would be a ridiculous decision
    Which contract is O'Donnell currently under with Pats? Is it his existing contract since he joined or is it this new contract Pats fans are claiming he signed in September?

Just really bizarre if O'Donnell signed a new contract in September that he completely forgot about it last week and communicated to a respected journalist to indicate that he was in advanced negotiations with the club over a new contract
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    They sure do, by 10.30 am yesterday I thought the move to DFC was dead in the water, things changed quickly from around 6pm though.

Seems Pats trying to argue that the initial contract he signed in mid 2019 also had a 2 year deal extension confirmed, hence that appears to be the 'to iron out' part.

https://twitter.com/DavidSneyd/statu...065653256?s=20

This latest link now suggesting he has already left St Pats.

Would Pats fans be happy with Clancy ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Clancy looks inevitable. The option Pats are claiming was accepted sounds pretty flaky as I suspected

https://www.the42.ie/odonnell-dundal...16727-Dec2021/
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Just wondering - what's in it for O'Donnell?

OK, he was Dundalk captain for their best years, so I can understand why he might have a bit of a grá for the place. But Pat's and Dundalk seem to be going in opposite ways at the moment - Pat's with an increased budget due to Europe and Dundalk with a smaller one for the same reason (and also because their two group stage bonuses are gone). There's also a huge rebuild to be done at Dundalk.

Seems a bit of a strange move from the outside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

OK, he was Dundalk captain for their best years, so I can understand why he might have a bit of a grá for the place. But Pat's and Dundalk seem to be going in opposite ways at the moment - Pat's with an increased budget due to Europe and Dundalk with a smaller one for the same reason (and also because their two group stage bonuses are gone). There's also a huge rebuild to be done at Dundalk.

Yeah thats where I am with it aswell. Doesnt make much sense to me , has to just be a pull from him being a player up there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Drogs are in big trouble. Clancy going and all their best players. likely to leave to other LOI clubs or UK. If they could push Markey down to Cork i'd be delighted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Could be some big money going into Dundalk. Daniel McDonnell keeps saying that they'll have a competitive budget, which could mean a lot. Wouldn't be surprised if it was bigger than ours and probably everyone else other than Derry and Rovers.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Clancy looks inevitable. The option Pats are claiming was accepted sounds pretty flaky as I suspected

https://www.the42.ie/odonnell-dundal...16727-Dec2021/
    Depends how the contract was written but unilateral options in favour of the club can absolutely be binding once they're triggered before the contract expires. But I'm sure they'll agree a figure eventually and get on with things.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    I’d be delighted with Clancy as would most pats fans I’ve heard from
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    Could be some big money going into Dundalk. Daniel McDonnell keeps saying that they'll have a competitive budget, which could mean a lot. Wouldn't be surprised if it was bigger than ours and probably everyone else other than Derry and Rovers.
    I think a lot of people outside Dundalk are over estimating the rebuild job required. Yes, we don’t have players signed up but that will change very quickly once O’Donnell is confirmed.
    The new owners have ambition and while our budget will drop significantly from this season, you have to remember that that budget was huge, probably 80k a week. So even a big reduction in that will still leave us in a decent position.
    I keep seeing references to Dundalk being a train wreck and in disarray off the field but all that mess is gone now and the new owners are starting to get things back on track. There’s plenty there to interest O’Donnell, on top of the emotional attachment. I also presume he’ll be getting a good long term deal and I see Cregg will be moving back to Ireland permanently due to a longer deal for him.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I think a lot of people outside Dundalk are over estimating the rebuild job required. Yes, we don’t have players signed up
    I mean, that's pretty much the definition of a huge rebuild job.

If Peak6 have left no debt, then yeah, 1500-1800 at a game probably gives Dundalk a mid-table budget. But compared to a club on the up, going into Europe and presumably with a bigger budget next year, it does still seem like a downwards step in purely footballing terms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Clancy and O'Donnell are two of the most impressive young managers in the league, and it is great news that they are both getting moves to much bigger clubs

I dont think there would be much pressure on O'Donnell at Dundalk. I think next season is already a write off in terms of challenging for the league, and the fans normally back the manager (Some didnt even want Perth to leave). Dundalk is a rebuild, but if they keep Murray and Hoban (who was meant to be signing for O'Donnell at Pats), they would still have two of the best players in the league.

Very tough for Drogheda if Clancy moves on with the other players meant to be moving too, they ran the club excellently on a shoestring budget. Collie O'Neill would probably be the best fit, home town club, and did a great job at UCD (although he does probably have out of football commitments so it is unlikely). Not many other great options (I hear no chance for Vinny Perth).

On a day like today, I do remember St. Pats trying to flog our most successful manager to the national team not so long ago....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Clancy and O'Donnell are two of the most impressive young managers in the league, and it is great news that they are both getting moves to much bigger clubs

I dont think there would be much pressure on O'Donnell at Dundalk. I think next season is already a write off in terms of challenging for the league
    To follow up that first sentence with the next 2 is truly hilarious
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    To follow up that first sentence with the next 2 is truly hilarious
    I thought it was clear I was tongue-in-cheek.....(Pats aren't bigger than Drogheda ). There is no 'big' team in LOI.

I also like the fact that your user name is based on the phantom 2 year contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Kiki beat me to it, they would simply be moving to bigger clubs with greater potential. It comes with greater pressure too. O'Donnell has never been the type to shirk a challenge either. His connections to the town run a tad deeper than just the club after his years as a player and living here. Until it announced officially its never a done deal!

Page 7 of 118 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast