Thread: Keith Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts

Keith Long

Departed Bohs,be interesting to see who takes over..,

https://bohemianfc.com/?page_id=18505
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    What kind of budget was he operating with at Bohs ? After last years achievement's it seems somewhat harsh even with how poor an inconsistent they have been this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Disappointed to hear that, he was doing a great job of regressing the team year by year and dodging trophies while doing it. At least he'll get a lovely payout on his contract that runs until the end of 2024, another Daniel Lambert masterclass that one
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    they'd be mad not to chance taking ryan from wexford.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I know they've been v bad lately but I would have given him until the end of the season to see if the new players can start to gel and if he can improve performances a bit.
    That said, his tendency to drop his best players if he knows they're going to leave next year always irked me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Surely it's Ian Ryan, the only logical choice

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    What kind of budget was he operating with at Bohs ? After last years achievement's it seems somewhat harsh even with how poor an inconsistent they have been this season.
    Have seen plenty of bohs fans say it was big enough that they should be getting europe.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    They've decent crowds, a nice Euro bonus from last year, and is the Matt Doherty million still floating about?

They can't be on that low a budget.

Fourth-highest in the league would be my guess

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Did they go properly full-time as well? A well known bohs fan and vhs afficianado on Twitter seemed to suggest so but I thought they were still pretending to be amateur.

They really should have backed Long properly after they finished second. They had serious momentum but football seemed to take second fiddle. Long and the team look uninterested or at least deflated this season to me. I hesitate to comment on other team's managers too much because you don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I wouldn't be too shocked to learn there was tension between Long and Lambert. They had the money to push on and keep a team together but they seemed to just hope that Long could "work another miracle" i.e. sign half a team and hope for the best every year.

Ian Ryan would be the brave and smart choice but who knows what they'll do.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    He had a very healthy budget and nobody involved with Bohs directly was saying we were still struggling financially. I'd say it was very comparable to Dundalk and Pats. Weird how that narrative still manages to go that we're potless between some Bohs fans and fans of other clubs. The reason the pressure increased this year is because the budget was so healthy compared to the last ten years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    They had the money to push on and keep a team together
    I think they did the absolute right thing of reinvesting the money into training facilities and academy structures.
    How many times have we seen LOI teams spunk away winnings on the 1st team with nothing left to show for it a few seasons later.
    Nice to see a LOI team doing the sensible thing for once.
    But they took the risk that the 1st team might regress, and it has.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The club is in a lot stronger position than when he took over, he maybe not right for what they need now but he did a great job for the club when they needed it

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Its a bit strange in timing imo, looking like they were already prepping for next season and no risk of relegation, and in the last 8 of the cup. In this league 2 or 3 wins can change the complexion of things and I dont think there was a whole lot wrong with the team that couldnt be sorted. Talk of loyalty and a good lot of the plaudits in the Bohs statement will ring hollow for Long though at least there wasnt the standard mutual consent rubbish. Could Croly step up again or prefer to stay in the background, a young manager like Ryan could need an battle hardened head around. Roddy was talking about having a job in the lines recently. St Pats frantically checking their paperwork today and Conor Hoey readying a statement thanking Bohs for taking their manager and players...just in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    325 Posts
    It was time to go for Long but he will be remembered fondly I believe.Unfortunately, like politics, football management generally ends in failure. Not sure he got the backing when he needed it 2-3 seasons ago and by the time he did, other clubs had gotten the jump on us. I think the fears of the past influenced decision making when it came to taking the next steps for the on-field side of the club. Multi-year contracts, going full-time. Focus on off-field activities did not help either…

Who will be next I have no idea. There will be plenty of names throwing their hat into the ring. It’s an attractive role. Budget will be decent and the club is very stable. We also tend to give managers a bit of time. I see Ian Ryan and Perth mentioned a lot. Time will tell…

All the best Keith.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    St Pats frantically checking their paperwork today and Conor Hoey readying a statement thanking Bohs for taking their manager and players...just in case.
    that made me chuckle … was a bit like that last off season wasn’t it - albeit I think Drogs fans would go nuts if Doherty jumped ship vs Clancy (most felt Clancy had done all he could with us but we didn’t tell pats that at the time 😂 )
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Did they go properly full-time as well? A well known bohs fan and vhs afficianado on Twitter seemed to suggest so but I thought they were still pretending to be amateur.
    We are part time (not amateur). A big part of why it proved difficult at times to attract/retain certain players - apparently. Long actually didn't spend the budget that was assigned to him for this season which for me was a massive red flag going into the season. While we are part time, the club has announced (I think publicly) that it would be moving to full time effective next season.

Long did well by us (and all the best to him in the future) but the last year or so has been an absolute disaster on the pitch and the club waited too long to pull the pin in my opinion. I cant believe that they seemingly doubled down on him in the midseason window.

Pineapple is about right, i reckon, when he says we likely have in and around the 4th highest budget. Somewhere between third to fifth would be my guess.

Its a bit strange in timing imo, looking like they were already prepping for next season and no risk of relegation, and in the last 8 of the cup. In this league 2 or 3 wins can change the complexion of things and I dont think there was a whole lot wrong with the team that couldnt be sorted.
    He couldn't sort it though. He was given a lot of time and money to turn it round and if anything performances have gotten worse.
    Last edited by SkStu; 30/08/2022 at 7:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Joking aside I'm surprised they didn't give him the game against Rovers on Friday, as Nesta said its the kind of league where a few wins changes everything (Pats looked out of it a few weeks ago but 3 wins and a couple of dropped points for Dundalk and Derry and they are basically tied for second with them). A win over Rovers and it could have lifted them.

Be interesting to see does Crolly change things up for Friday.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Vinny Perth would be perfect for that club.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    The performances were going from bad to worse recently- the team looked increasingly rudderless- no one seemed to know where to play the ball or where to move to offer an outlet.

Too reliant on moments of individual trickery. The coaching seemed to be an issue, in which case I'm not confident that Croly and Pender will turn it round for Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Its a bit strange in timing imo, looking like they were already prepping for next season and no risk of relegation, and in the last 8 of the cup.
    Is being in the last 8 of the cup an influence on the timing of the decision? 2 or 3 wins might change the complexion of things in the league. Win the cup, Bohs can look forward to another European windfall.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast