Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 114 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Clancy and Bermo have definitely had a falling out in some shape or form. He's been fit and not even in the squad for a good while. Quite disappointing that such a club legend will be going out in such a way to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    So then Derby County tapped up a West Ham United player who was on loan at another club and the loan player and player and his agent engineered his loan termination not West Ham United. Yeah sure.

After O'Donnell-gate, Charter-gate and now Anang-gate it always seems to be someone else's fault with Pats. One way or the other with Clancy publicly throwing a young UK loan player under a bus that will be Pats blacklisted for loans by any credible UK club not a smart move
    You should be thankful we gave Shels the extra rest. Imagine how many more Ryan Brennan would have scored if not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Clancy and Bermo have definitely had a falling out in some shape or form. He's been fit and not even in the squad for a good while. Quite disappointing that such a club legend will be going out in such a way to be honest.

You should be thankful we gave Shels the extra rest. Imagine how many more Ryan Brennan would have scored if not.
    anything more on mccormack? i still cant get my head around his lack of gametime this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    anything more on mccormack? i still cant get my head around his lack of gametime this season.
    When he has got on the pitch he hasn’t really played himself into the team to be honest.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    Been a strange one with him, his absence has been a bit less of a head-scratcher recently as we haven't been playing a formation with a #10 which is realistically the only position he'll get game time in.

Just seems like they don't fancy him, Clancy alluded to it earlier in the season about him not putting the work in in training (or something to that effect), but he was on the right path and would start playing more. That was around the time he changed the game vs UCD and had a good cameo around that time but it's still largely been quiet since. Wouldn't be surprised if he moved on and we ended up regretting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Been a strange one with him, his absence has been a bit less of a head-scratcher recently as we haven't been playing a formation with a #10 which is realistically the only position he'll get game time in.

Just seems like they don't fancy him, Clancy alluded to it earlier in the season about him not putting the work in in training (or something to that effect), but he was on the right path and would start playing more. That was around the time he changed the game vs UCD and had a good cameo around that time but it's still largely been quiet since. Wouldn't be surprised if he moved on and we ended up regretting it.
    He has a dozen appearances or almost half of league games which isnt too bad for an 18 year old, though he could have been brought on in injury time in each game of course, but he was one to watch unless his development stalled. O'Kane is hghly regarded at Dundalk as a similar comparison, with a manager who is willing to play young lads and he 8 appearances and likely would be a few less if Kelly hadnt got injured. Not great that a manager is publicly suggesting he hasnt been grafting enough, can happen when a player picks up that he isnt fancied by a coach or are not suited to the preferred tactical setup. A coach familiar with him could be interested as a young lad with potential and a point to prove, fits tactically, can play as a 10 and push on when a main striker drops deep, a club that has a remit of developing a squad over time, so obviously Rovers will be watching closely! At least there'd be a solidarity fee involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    He has a dozen appearances or almost half of league games which isnt too bad for an 18 year old, though he could have been brought on in injury time in each game of course, but he was one to watch unless his development stalled. O'Kane is hghly regarded at Dundalk as a similar comparison, with a manager who is willing to play young lads and he 8 appearances and likely would be a few less if Kelly hadnt got injured. Not great that a manager is publicly suggesting he hasnt been grafting enough, can happen when a player picks up that he isnt fancied by a coach or are not suited to the preferred tactical setup. A coach familiar with him could be interested as a young lad with potential and a point to prove, fits tactically, can play as a 10 and push on when a main striker drops deep, a club that has a remit of developing a squad over time, so obviously Rovers will be watching closely! At least there'd be a solidarity fee involved.
    Yeah at face value his numbers relative to his age probably seem fine, but in context his progression has stalled compared to last season where you'd naturally expect him to kick on more. Especially given that we at times have forced wingers, strikers etc into playing in his natural position and have looked worse for it than when he's gotten a look in.

Not saying he'd be a total game changer or anything mind, just that there's obviously a lot of talent there that we aren't getting much out of whether it's his own fault or otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

He wasn't particularly successfully this season even when he did start. That UCD match was very much the exception this year. Reminds me of Markey when he was with us to a certain extent, some great cameos but not as effective starting. Possibly could do with a loan move next season to someone like Drogheda for the 1st half of the season and get some regular game time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    He wasn't particularly successfully this season even when he did start. That UCD match was very much the exception this year. Reminds me of Markey when he was with us to a certain extent, some great cameos but not as effective starting. Possibly could do with a loan move next season to someone like Drogheda for the 1st half of the season and get some regular game time.
    hopefully we go up but looking ropey after this weekend , id happily take him down in cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Jordan McEneff signs for Derry.

https://www.derrycityfc.net/2022/08/...ff-joins-city/

Looked decent enough when I saw him, but can't imagine he'll play with us this season.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    With a few games left, I think attention is already turning to next season targets.

If Rovers win the league this year, they are nearly guaranteed group stage football again (or at least will be favourites in enough games to qualify). That gap is going to be too big for any team to close (unless they collapses, which can happen to any LOI team).

If Rovers don't win the league this year, they will still be the richest team, but would need to be a lot more sensible with their money. Them, Dundalk, Derry and Pats will all fancy themselves to really challenge for the league (way more than the previous year). So that would make for a very interesting off-season- it could look like a 4 way race for the league (also depending on who wins the cup for Pats to play in Europe).

What also makes it ia very nteresting (albeit a very difficult window) is that a lot of the u23 players, who would be the main target for each of these clubs, are already gone.

You would think that Devoy, Burns, Kerrigan and McGinty would have been the top targets for each club with their contracts running out.

Now, within the league, the most interesting moves to make would be Liam Burt, Darragh Markey, Colm Whelan (bad injury tho) and Phoenix Patterson. And thats if no English clubs pick them up either.

Going outside the league is always a risk, although Pats and Dundalk seem to be having some success this year... If they can build on those links, that is a big advantage over other LOI cluba.

Dundalk will have a fair bit of work to do as well, maybe the most, as they have to replace the loan players and get new center backs. (Although Alfie Lewis is a great signing). Rovers actually had two great signings this year, Lyons and Cleary- although if they lose Lyons, its a big hole. Pats are going to finish the year as one of the strongest teams as well and should be better in Clancys second year. Derry have a lot of issues, but also seem to have decent resources- not sure anymore on Higgins, but even just Mickey Duffy coming back will be huge.

To me at this stage, it already looks a big ask for Bohs, Sligo and Shels to crack Europe next year, as Dundalk, Pats and maybe Derry, all look on the upswing. Add to that probably two more professional teams will be in the league (and what Drogheda do), it might be a big scrap for those teams to fight for the players left over from the top 4. A bad offseason for one of those clubs might mean relegation next year. There wont be a UCD or Finn Harps to be non-competitive in the transfer market next year. Maybe Bohs forseen that, and signed their team already for next season. So, I wouldnt be surprised if a Sligo or Shels ended up in the playoff next year.

Just thoughts... Would only matter if each team are able to hold onto the majority current squads, unlike last year (which hopefully will be the case for the league as a whole).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I wasn't aware that both Harps and UCD were definitely going down. That's a pity the playoff has been scrapped.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    In fairness, we've both been saying all season that whichever ends up as the ninth-place team still isn't strong enough to win a playoff. I think it's a reasonable assumption

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, we've both been saying all season that whichever ends up as the ninth-place team still isn't strong enough to win a playoff. I think it's a reasonable assumption
    Then you see Galway losing to Bray so who knows!! Bit of positivity Stu come on!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Half the time the pessimist is right, the other half he's pleasantly surprised. It's win-win

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I would have said the same until I watched a few games involving First Division sides recently. For as bad as Harps and UCD both are, I don't think either should fear Galway/Waterford or whoever scrapes their way through. The Cork v Waterford game was dreadful last week.

Nothing is a foregone conclusion. Definitely glass half empty currently, but a one off game in a neutral venue could go either way.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Let's revisit after Friday maybe.

If Galway can't knock us out of the Cup, with our only two good players gone, then I'll start thinking maybe us, or a Harps side that's only gotten one point off us this year, could maybe stay up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    With UCD and HArps starting to pick up wins and the first division clubs stumbling your prediction that the reward for finishing 9th was to lose the play off is looking pessimistic now. Can Caulfield survive not going up this time??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Half the time the pessimist is right, the other half he's pleasantly surprised. It's win-win
    I like that!

Assuming Cork will get promoted I think they can useful in transfer window, not wildly even with their current crowds and what Premier Division football will bring. They would have enough financial room to add to their squad that should be safe. If Waterford can make it through to a play-off final and get promoted they too will be pretty competitive for players. Whether promoted or not Galway wont progress with Caulfield, my disdain for him is no secret. For the premier side in the play-off I think Galway will be the biggest bottlers as they will be going backwards, anyone else will be in bonus territory and have momentum. Harps have the play-off experience and all the tricks. UCD its hard to know imo but I will bow to the opinion of people that see them regularly and feel that there is enough about them.

It could be the most nerve wracking run in for a while for a bunch of teams including Rovers depending on tomorrow. Its nip and tuck for Europe and that will be the difference between aiming for a top 3 again with a core group of players with young lads and loans, or looking to be title challengers. Derry are the ones it has least importance for as they will just be continuing to build title chasers on the quick. Bohs could well have made a shrewd move by using this season to develop a side, Shels I think will also improve based on this season experience and Duff getting to grips with being head coach and the refereeing. Sligo as is often the way will quietly go about their business and you wont know much about them until the season beds in.

Rovers could be in for some upheaval. I think Bradley will have ticked boxes this season that kept him at the club and if a decent offer comes along could be willing to have a go. Succession plan in place or not a change in coach can work or not, but either way the want to put their own stamp on things, move out of the shadow of their predecessor and not just been seen as inheriting a winning side. Can be subtle eg Perth being willing to make earlier subs, or not so subtle where he went from one of the lads to probably trying too hard to be the gaffer not the pal. They might convince Mannus to go on for longer but he could call time even if has already considered extending things and will be very hard to replace - there are good keepers and then there are those that are the glue of a defence or even a squad, pure leadership. The age profile of a number of players often get mentioned and there are a couple of seasons in most but will have to be minded more and more and so integrate new signings or youths, like Emakhu, Tetteh, with a mix of keeping Gaffney. Big season for Burke and Byrne on the injury front. Green, McCann, Finn ye could see finish just on their age though Finn for example could minded and play on. Towell is unlikely to give u his contract unless wanted elsewhere whether he is wanted or not by Rovers.

Dundalk are further along than most would think on squad development/rebuild. I can see a few loan players being made permanent, also go back for loans that ended eg Williams, and pad the squad with some loans. Garts will probably finish, McMillan also, Cherrie another possibility though as a 2nd keeper and or keepers coach may stay at the club. It would be some coup to get Macari and Bradley back but their clubs will likely want them to step up. Hauge its too early to know whether he is a stand out youngster that Hibs will want back. Animasahun could be a longer term replacement for Garts but havent heard much on his progress. Mountney's ongoing injury needs to clear up, he's a long time out when he looked set for a return, dont know whether he picked up a new injury or was coming back too soon on the existing one but he keeps in good shape and the longer he's out the more concerning his level of recover will be. What we need is cover for leahy who I dont think has performed to levels he can for whatever reason. We are always going to struggle if Hoban isnt available so a number 10 (as Hoban drops deep almost in to that role) with a striker than will just run the line. Defensive cover, one at centre back but will see how McCourt goes. Right full if Macari goes. Bone is a useful utility player thoughat hs age maybe its time to specialise. There are a few positions that the young lads could slot in to but I always think you need sot and out wingers - Kelly has come on great in that regard and has played up front and could be useful there if he is seen as something different if needed in that regard. Obviously we all want greater depth in a squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I wasn't aware that both Harps and UCD were definitely going down. That's a pity the playoff has been scrapped.
    Didnt mean to upset anybody....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The only player i can see going at the end of the year is McCann tbh hes 35 now
    Finn/Greene etc will definitly stay on i reckon
    For all the talk about our big squad we had 3 senior pros on a reduced bench on Thursday and its not a one off there were loads injured last year as well
    Bad luck? bad training? to many matches? i can see the younger players having a bigger role next year and a few incomings as well but not to many with the plan being IF we win the league we are going for groups again and need plenty of cover
    In terms of who id like to see come in...maybe do a burke and see if Danny Mandroiu wants to come back from Lincoln?
    Burt looks good at Bohs and 008 has sidelined him which makes ne think he might be on his way
    Colm Whelan i assume will be leaving UCD (is he finished his degree Stu?) as it appeared he was off except for his injury
    Trevor Clarke has fallen out with Joey Barton at Rotherham ..'I've made a mistake' - Barton dismisses Trevor Clarke's career with Bristol Rovers two months after contract renewal (msn.com) The article says more about Barton then it does about Clarke tbh