Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 95 of 118 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Brandon Mieles doping ban must be up at this stage. Has he made a return to football?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    It's hard to teach a grown man the skills if he doesn't have them by now right, you can make a fella quicker and stronger, but doubt can you teach him how to pass a ball 10 yards, or to not fresh air shots when under pressure. Bolton are in for a big surprise when they get the 'anywhere will do' clearance every time a ball comes near him
    When I read this I thought well Trapattoni agreed and Martin O'Neill insisted on little more too, if capable or not. It's a fair point made Bowler, if the fundamental skills are not apparent by 16 or so there isnt likely to be much more to come unless growing 6'6 and a battering ram, also excluding the odd player that may be moved to a different role/position and with playing to individual strengths can make a very good player. I think Thierry Henry could be a reasonable example on this (though undoubtedly had the basic key skills in the locker), he was pretty average when he was a winger and Juventus, couldnt cross a ball if he painted an X on it! Signed by Wenger on the basis of particular attributes that were better suited to a central striker and was world-class at it. Its rare but happens, Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy possible fit in too - damn all technique and raw when landed in to the higher levels from non league. Australia had a general policy on this type of thing - identifying skillsets that suit a particular discipline and moving athletes to a better suited sport, sprinters that would never medal on a world stage but could be close in a bobsleigh team eg.

Its as much about embedding belief in their own technical ability with young players, that they dont panic when passed the ball and immediately look to get rid of it with an aimless hoof. Could be ok at the basics of defending but not able to be composed and play possession football also. That comes with it drilled in to players over and over in formative years so it is second nature. I think the ship has sailed if that development pathway has been missed or disrupted as it sounds like is happening under the current mentors at UCD. Yoro and his ilk wont be long getting found out if they dont have ability to play catchup even at a late stage.

If anyone wants to do the total nerd thing on long term player development stuff then Istvan Balyi is probably the leading guru on the subject and its worth a look at some of his papers, some very interesting general material so not completely nerd reading.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 13/07/2022 at 2:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Brandon Mieles doping ban must be up at this stage. Has he made a return to football?
    September 2021 it was up. Presume he's not returning at this stage.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I haven't even heard of Miele returning to play at intermediate or junior level looks like he has given it up unless he's gone under the radar playing for someone at that level since September

He is still only 27 coming into peak years with his undeniable talent you would think if he wanted to return to LOI some club in the lower half of the Premier Division or in the First Division would have been open to giving him an opportunity
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    miele thing is strange he must have lost all interest. great player on his day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I believe he was playing for Marks Celtic, in the lower echelons of junior football, during the period between getting released by Pats (was it?) and his drugs ban

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I haven't even heard of Miele returning to play at intermediate or junior level looks like he has given it up unless he's gone under the radar playing for someone at that level since September

He is still only 27 coming into peak years with his undeniable talent you would think if he wanted to return to LOI some club in the lower half of the Premier Division or in the First Division would have been open to giving him an opportunity
    Couldnt agree more he has served his ban which was for recreational rather than performance enhancing so why wouldn't someone give him a chance.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I presume he's opted out by choice to be honest?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Blackpool reported to have offered £100k fir Andy Lyons. A player rumoured to be keavingevery window.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    We have made two signings in the transfer window. Adememo from Galway Utd and Cian Corbally on loan from St Pats. Anyone any info on these new players?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    We have made two signings in the transfer window. Adememo from Galway Utd and Cian Corbally on loan from St Pats. Anyone any info on these new players?
    I haven’t seen Cian Corbally play, but he seems to be highly rated. Centre midfield as far as I know. If he’s up to the standard of some of the other lads coming out of our academy then I’d say he’s useful enough.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Kian Corbally is a great prospect. Good ball playing midfielder, nice left foot on him. He’s featured regularly for Ireland U19s too.

Adeyemo looked a decent player in the admittedly few times I saw him play for Drogheda last season but maybe not up to premier division standard just yet. Not a bad signing for Longford though in my book
    Paaatrick's Agletic

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Corbally has always been well-regarded so I've always found it strange that he's never gotten much of a look in at all. I'm sure there's been more but off the top of my head I can only think of one time he's actually played for the senior team. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Wrong thresd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Liam Kerrigan gonna be playing with Cesc Fabregas next season it seems,how’s that for a player to learn off!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Liam Kerrigan gonna be playing with Cesc Fabregas next season it seems,how’s that for a player to learn off!
    Strange that Como haven’t actually announced Kerrigan has signed yet despite Andy Myler doing so a few weeks ago. They also haven’t formally announced Marc Bircham as manager either as far as I can see even though he’s been posting videos and pictures of himself at pre-season training! And we thought the likes of UCD and Athlone were bad for off-season squad announcements
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Strange that Como haven’t actually announced Kerrigan has signed yet despite Andy Myler doing so a few weeks ago. They also haven’t formally announced Marc Bircham as manager either as far as I can see even though he’s been posting videos and pictures of himself at pre-season training! And we thought the likes of UCD and Athlone were bad for off-season squad announcements

They might just stick him on a team sheet half an hour before the first game Ollie Horgan style!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Jack Moylan has now extended with Shels until end of 2023. That's most of our promising young players extended with Molloy, Farrell, McManus signed up until 2023 and Hakiki until 2024
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/milton...ite/verein/991
    On here that Dawson Devoy went for 175k. Nice business again by Bohs and a great opportunity for DD. I'm sure Bohs will also have a sell on clause written in.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/milton...ite/verein/991
    On here that Dawson Devoy went for 175k. Nice business again by Bohs and a great opportunity for DD. I'm sure Bohs will also have a sell on clause written in.
    That’s not the transfer fee, it’s a ‘market value’ presumably based on the opinion of whoever’s in charge of admin on the Transfermarkt site. Either way it’s not the best source of info on figures like that

For comparison here’s the Pats version of that link. I can assure you that Pats didn’t pay any of the figures noted there!

https://www.transfermarkt.com/st-pat...saison_id/2021
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Page 95 of 118 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast