Page 76 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    The trouble for Bradley is that English football fans wont give him an ounce of credit for his achievements here. The moment anything goes slightly pear shaped the board of Lincoln will be accused of hiring an Irish no-mark. The average English person has no idea or interest to what goes on in the shores. That's from years of experience going to the UK watching a club in the lower leagues ranging from national league to League 1.
    100% correct, same for likes of Horgan and Boyle joining PNE after playing group stages, most over there would seen that as a once off, prob lots would never even heard of Dundalk. Probably same when Kenny got the Irish job, likes of most media in UK, would have had no interest in DFC progress, prob would just gone with 'the former Irish u21 manager got promoted'

SPL miles bigger than LOI and so is L1, end of, ok Bradley (if he takes it) will never manage in Europe over there, but its an advancement in his career for sure.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I generally enjoy your posts Nesta but that last, lengthy one reads (to me at least) as a personal disdain for Stephen Bradley so developed as to be a fetish (or a fairly risible attempt at trolling) rather than anything grounded in cold logic.

I agree too with the point made by a few others that his accomplishments here won't hold much sway if gets off to a bad start (a la Fenlon/Kenny in Scotland) but why wouldn't he take a crack at it? It's probably with one eye on the job after Lincoln too - if he does well (and a vague push for the playoffs in second season after a midtable first year might constitute doing well) there's nothing to say that one of the big League 1 clubs wouldn't take a punt and if it goes badly he's young enough that he could find himself back in Tallaght (or maybe even the Brandywell or, perish the thought, Oriel) down the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Will it?

Bigger average crowds than Rovers. More money (wage bill about £5m a year, which is way more than anything here). A better league. No Europe, but the FA Cup always offers the chance of a big game (like Arsenal in the quarters a few years back - and they'd beaten Ipswich, Burnley and Brighton to get that far). He mayn't be going for the title, but I don't think that makes it a step down. And I'm sure he'll be thinking if he does a good job as a young manager, then he could have clubs from a higher league interested.

It's hard to see it as anything other than a perfectly logical career step to be honest. Maybe it won't work, and English football management is a notoriously basket-case career option, but he's earned the right to give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    league 1 is miles ahead of loi , can we stop pretending its a step down even from rovers.
    I could probably have clearer in 'a step down in relative terms'. I was being club specific not L1/2 and not using the barometer of attendances, wage bills or standard of football (and I too have years of experience of games at L1/L2/National League, whatever about L1 there is a whole lot of overpaid muck below!), it is a step down in terms of ambition, planning, academy/player development. For a one club town and plenty of govt funding their facilities are comparatively poor. I believe there is whole lot more to football clubs than attendances and wage bills and as a Dundalk fan that chafes a bit!

Maybe this is changing and why they seem to be looking for a 'team' that have been very hands on with football club and player development specific planning and implementation. But they are pitching for people with almost entirely LoI only experience, maybe that in itself is an indicator of their ambition, not English non league or L2 even?! Its not a career advancement for Bradley (and Im hardly one of his fans) unless he is a massive success at Lincoln and that would be stable in L1 (lol) and then playing at the highest level they have ever achieved ie championship. L1 currently has a clatter of clubs that are championship/EPL level clubs bar their performances on the pitch so in relative terms a tough task for a club that is lower L2/national league at best off the pitch.

I'm not blinded by the blistering football of LoI thinking that it is of x standard compared to y, its not as simple as that otherwise we could just reference UEFA ranking, for example, and thumb our noses. Lincoln are not at the level of Sunderland albeit in the same league and Rovers are further along in development plans so yes a step down - or a step backward if that has less pretense...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Assistant could often be in line for it (worked for years and years at UCD in terms of succession). So that's Glenn Cronin - would he be an option? (If he didn't move with Bradley of course)
    God forbid when UCD finally wise up to Myler the spoofer that they end with Willie OConnor in charge. Since Ian Ryan left students turned into Finn Harps, ball lumped.long every time a defender gets it. Massive mistake by UCD when they didn't promote Ryan when they sacked Collie O.

Back to this thread, I'd like to suggest that Rovers would thrive under a tactical genius like Myler, made for each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    God forbid when UCD finally wise up to Myler the spoofer that they end with Willie OConnor in charge. Since Ian Ryan left students turned into Finn Harps, ball lumped.long every time a defender gets it. Massive mistake by UCD when they didn't promote Ryan when they sacked Collie O.

Back to this thread, I'd like to suggest that Rovers would thrive under a tactical genius like Myler, made for each other.

wont ever happen but tactically, ian ryan is the best fit within the league to replace SB. agree on myler, lad gets away with murder. everyone fooled thinking ucd play like they did in 2019 "the right way" they are brutal under him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I generally enjoy your posts Nesta but that last, lengthy one reads (to me at least) as a personal disdain for Stephen Bradley so developed as to be a fetish (or a fairly risible attempt at trolling) rather than anything grounded in cold logic.

I agree too with the point made by a few others that his accomplishments here won't hold much sway if gets off to a bad start (a la Fenlon/Kenny in Scotland) but why wouldn't he take a crack at it? It's probably with one eye on the job after Lincoln too - if he does well (and a vague push for the playoffs in second season after a midtable first year might constitute doing well) there's nothing to say that one of the big League 1 clubs wouldn't take a punt and if it goes badly he's young enough that he could find himself back in Tallaght (or maybe even the Brandywell or, perish the thought, Oriel) down the road.
    Bar the last line, its more disdain with perpetual mediocrity of Lincoln (they are not alone mind). I genuinely dont think its a good or positive move for Bradley (or indeed a Higgins or O'Donnell ). Part of that could well be that I dont think he is the exceptionally good manager that could take a Lincoln City job on and make much more of them than what they are - not without them becoming a buying club and forking out one of their divisions top wage budgets. They wont have the patience and as others have pointed out he doesnt have credit in the bank to get through difficult patches. If he does go yeah he will get a pay rise and a long term contract, maybe they will make the appointment and stick but they always buckle and change tack every couple of years with the same result and same promises, rinse and repeat*. There will be better jobs than this one at some point, there are clubs a couple of divisions below that have more potential. Maybe the challenge is what he wants especially if he isnt the only one to move from Rovers. If he improved Lincoln significantly I'd give credit where its due and it'd prove that he s a better manager than I gave credit for. Ollie Horgan would be a better fit for Lincoln, he might scare them enough!

*just had a look there, 29 managers in 35 years, probably including caretakers but still, it predates the hire and fire culture of the EPL era.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/05/2022 at 8:25 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Stephen Rice will probably be the choice for Rovers, if Bradley leaves. I think he has the same job in the Irish setup as Higgins had before he moved to Derry

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    it is a step down in terms of ambition, planning, academy/player development.
    Is it though? Or is there an element of comparing big fish in a small pond (Rovers) with small fish in a big pond (Lincoln)? How are Rovers further ahead in development plans? Has the Rovers academy really produced a huge amount so far, Bazunu aside, for example? Moving to a bigger league absolutely is career advancement - especially as doing well in it gives the option of moving up to a higher league again. Rovers is the ceiling of things here, by comparison.

I don't think you can say Lincoln's ambition is low because they're chasing an LoI manager either. The outgoing manager's two previous jobs were caretaker at Leicester (Premier League) and taking Oxford from mid-table L2 to mid-table L1 in three seasons, plus two Wembley Cup finals. Do you redefine a club's ambition each time they change manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Nesta, how can it simultaeously be true that Lincoln has low ambitions because they're chasing Bradley, and Bradley is taking a step down if he moves to Lincoln? If he were to move back to Rovers, would that be a step down again?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Is it though? Or is there an element of comparing big fish in a small pond (Rovers) with small fish in a big pond (Lincoln)? How are Rovers further ahead in development plans? Has the Rovers academy really produced a huge amount so far, Bazunu aside, for example? Moving to a bigger league absolutely is career advancement - especially as doing well in it gives the option of moving up to a higher league again. Rovers is the ceiling of things here, by comparison.

I don't think you can say Lincoln's ambition is low because they're chasing an LoI manager either. The outgoing manager's two previous jobs were caretaker at Leicester (Premier League) and taking Oxford from mid-table L2 to mid-table L1 in three seasons, plus two Wembley Cup finals. Do you redefine a club's ambition each time they change manager?
    People keep talking about Bazunu as he is a headline maker but Rovers have a batch of outstanding kids coming through most of whom are only 14/15 years old as our Academy really only started properly in 2016. Our under 13's were over in Arsenal a couple of weeks ago and beat their Academy team, 14's and 15s are superb The under 15 Irish team has consistently 5-7 Rovers players in the squad.....it takes time but i am confident of the pipeline to the first team.
    Hopefully with the B team coming back next year as part of a third tier (i hope anyway) we can hold onto them and give them game time as they develop.

On Lincoln step up step down......probably 3 or 4 times our Budget , twice as many fans despite being 17th in the league and we are double Champions...........even with my green and white blinkers on its a step up.
    Not to mention he has a young family and i assume the money will be way better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Don't know anyone at Rovers who thinks Lincoln is a step down. That seems to be a media narrative. Can't speak for an entire fanbase but if Bradley goes, he'll go with my thanks and best wishes. Incredibly under-rated by the LOI cognoscenti but not by Rovers fans, players and staff.

If we end up with the coaching ticket I suspect we will I'll be happy. The structure is there for a reason and it works.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Don't know anyone at Rovers who thinks Lincoln is a step down. That seems to be a media narrative. Can't speak for an entire fanbase but if Bradley goes, he'll go with my thanks and best wishes. Incredibly under-rated by the LOI cognoscenti but not by Rovers fans, players and staff.

If we end up with the coaching ticket I suspect we will I'll be happy. The structure is there for a reason and it works.
    So care to say who you think will remain and take over if SB leaves ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    So care to say who you think will remain and take over if SB leaves ?
    Not on here but the names are going around and you don't have to be Poirot to guess. One of the names is in the national press today too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Not on here but the names are going around and you don't have to be Poirot to guess. One of the names is in the national press today too.
    Fair enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Fair enough
    Check your PMs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Putin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Nesta, how can it simultaeously be true that Lincoln has low ambitions because they're chasing Bradley, and Bradley is taking a step down if he moves to Lincoln? If he were to move back to Rovers, would that be a step down again?
    Lincoln would be some job to get, huge step up though!!!

(
    *^$%e snookered by my own argument and you are going on my ignore list John)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Putin?
    We do have a horse here for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-41618661.html

Multiple sources saying it will be Stephen Rices job. Rovers to lose all 3 backroom staff according to Dan. You could imagine McPhail in particular would be a loss.

Intresting that if it is Rice, he will have had the exact same job as his biggest challenger. Higgins came in with a pretty good reputation and around Dundalk, it was said he was a key figure in the post-Kenny success. Higgins was around the first team and had that experience before going to Ireland. Rovers will be hoping Rice will be something similar (sorry, assuming now the Bradley gone is a done deal).

If Bradley takes Mandroiu over (who from what I seen has been super and probably deserves a chance at a higher league) and/or Byrne (who I still think has the talent), suddenly it leaves a lot of gaps to be filled quickly for Rovers. No idea the contract situation for Rovers if its possible.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    I wouldnt be surprised to see if Stephen Rice takes the Rovers job he would ask Tony Cousins to come up from Rovers underage structure to assist him. Cousins signed Rice for us in 2014 and stayed for two seasons under him.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 76 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast