Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I wouldn’t be as convinced as others at this stage that we are a shoe in for second. We could do with another centre (defensive) mid and another option up top.

I expected us to have at least a striker in by this stage we remain linked with some but clock is ticking.
    Surely Derry should be confident of at least a runners up medal in such a weak league after all the investment in players?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I think "in such a weak league" might hit the nail on the head.

I know every year we're talking about the weakest league ever, but in this case Dundalk have lost a fair few key players and haven't replaced all. Pat's have to replace Jaros, although Doyle is a good signing up front. Sligo and Bohs haven't replaced Kenny and Kelly yet. Derry have signed solid and proven LoI players. That alone should have them favourites for a top two spot, though reality often isn't as simple and you just don't know who's coming through underage ranks or what signing from an England U21 team might turn out to be quite good.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    You know by now that I don't buy the weak league narrative stu but let's pretend it is because who has the time? So it's a weak league but I can't grant you that Derry have signed only "solid and proven LoI" players. They've signed two of the best players the league has seen in the past decade even when it was obviously much stronger (when Rovers weren't winning it). They also have some fantastic players there already and went on a serious run of form under Higgins.

They should be challenging with the investment they've made. For a Derry fan who firmly believes there are no good sides in a weak league to say he isn't confident of second place after taking the pick of players from one of the best sides the league has seen is a bit much even for pre-season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    OK - I think we're close to agreement there really. "Solid and proven" was intended as a compliment to the players they've signed. I agree Derry have done well in pre-season dealings which is why I reckon they'll be top two, but the fact that Pat's/Bohs/Sligo/Dundalk all seem weaker (at the moment, with time for signings) is another reason I reckon Derry will be top two.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    OK - I think we're close to agreement there really. "Solid and proven" was intended as a compliment to the players they've signed. I agree Derry have done well in pre-season dealings which is why I reckon they'll be top two, but the fact that Pat's/Bohs/Sligo/Dundalk all seem weaker (at the moment, with time for signings) is another reason I reckon Derry will be top two.
    Ah ok. See id have Dave Webster as the archetypal "solid and proven" level of LoI player whereas Duffy and McEleney would be in the "ah ffs they are going home to play for their local team with a good manager and an already decent crop of young talent? ****** that's mildly terrifying" category of LoI player.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    It's all "Premier Division quality" when you're stuck in the First as long as we've been

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    It's all "Premier Division quality" when you're stuck in the First as long as we've been
    But no more! Looking forward to seeing UCD this year and a few players in particular. Good to see Evan Osam playing. Didn't know he was a med student as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Surely Derry should be confident of at least a runners up medal in such a weak league after all the investment in players?
    Maybe you are right to be fair, I was highly impressed with Pat’s last year and think on that basis we still had a fair bit to make up on them, obviously O’Donnell has left and I haven’t followed their business particularly closely so maybe my thinking is now outdated.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Heard(from a v strong source) RH had Hoban and?or GK lined up but both deals fell apart and that has left him chasing..... apparently he was super confident about signing GK.That one could still happen of course.
    Strong talk about Kelly obviously I never heard anything about Hoban and he is not a player I’d have been keen on at all.

Kelly is known to be keen on moving abroad so I’d be surprised if he did sign now but not completely out of the equation yet.

There was also some talk about us signing Matt(?) Smith from Pat’s but that has died down too.

On a personal note if we can’t get Kelly there is no other LOI striker I’d be mad about signing and would like to see us looking further afield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Ah ok. See id have Dave Webster as the archetypal "solid and proven" level of LoI player whereas Duffy and McEleney would be in the "ah ffs they are going home to play for their local team with a good manager and an already decent crop of young talent? ****** that's mildly terrifying" category of LoI player.
    Hands off Dave Webster. He's practically a Donegal man now.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Who is going to finish ahead of them? Pats would probably be best bet, but on paper they are a long way off current Derry quality.

Top 2 is pretty much sealed already in my view, then again Derry may not fully click until next season, money doesn't always mean success but they should be strong enough for top 2. On money spent I think Dundalk's wage bill must have been 2-3M last season and came 6th ! (mind you two of them were Abibi and Sonni)
    Last edited by oriel; 17/01/2022 at 8:48 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    dundalk need a good few more loan players, theyve not really add much from within the league to the team. mountney and benson are just off injuries and declining, they've to deal with that horror of a pitch aswell. doyle i think is a decent prospect , martin is average enough for PD standards and bone is another one who is nothing special especially if hes used out right.
    Hopefully 2022 is the final year of that, word locally is that StatSports want to look at getting grass pitch in, to have better chance of using their UK contacts for loan players from higher standard clubs.

Always amazes me, as bad as the pitch is in Oriel Park, Derry's is actually same if not worse, was in a terrible state last August when I saw it upfront. Not a fan of either / any to be fair.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Always amazes me, as bad as the pitch is in Oriel Park, Derry's is actually same if not worse, was in a terrible state last August when I saw it upfront. Not a fan of either / any to be fair.
    I agree about Derry’s pitch. Going by seeing on screen only, but I remember watching Pats/Derry last season there and I thought the pitch was awful. By contrast, the first time I saw it on TV when Pats played there (might even have been the first game on it ?) I thought it looked half decent for an artificial pitch, and much better than Oriel. Must have declined a lot in those few years.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Derrys pitch is marginally better than Oriel. Both are atrocious. Have walked out on both of them, they are rock hard. I'd take a knee deep in muck Finn Park over both of them.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    Curious as to why you see Dundalk as challenging even for 3rd. The squad as of now is very poor. Last seasons best players have been lost, now heavily reliant on players who are either past their best, injury prone or unproven.
    I think there is more a sense of hope with Dundalk fans that we can do a bit of a 2013 job than expectation. Feeling like there have been good signings, young and hungry, mixed with lads we know - some have a poit to prove after last season and others that they made the right choice in moving with SO'D. To say the squad now is 'very poor' is equally as curious and sounds like wishful thinking! Anything can happen with a goal scorer is firing and hopefully Hoban will be in that form, solid spine with 2 actual goalkeepers to start.

We will find in in due course but I'd be happy with solid mid/upper table finish (4th would be a good performance), anything better is a bonus and take a few scalps on the way -Pats by 4 would be amusing, Derry and Rovers of course - far more important to beat the Sligo, Bohs, Harps etc. Have a go in the cup too maybe. Need to stay relatively injury free. Also to gel well quickly which i think is possible with a good group of players that have played together, previously at Dundalk and some at Wales. Generally the 'in the knows' are saying the squad is taking shape well and they are already looking handy together but training isnt always the best guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Pats may have finished 2nd but their points total would have barely been enough to finish 3rd most seasons so I wouldnt be getting too caught in them being the 2nd best side, they did win the cup but if Bohs had won a penalty shoot out would that have made them better than Pats?

Basically 2-6 is still interchangeable, I think Pats largely underachieved under O'Donnell if you look at the money they were spending at the start of 2020 season I'd have hoped they would be closer to Rovers at this stage. For me when you look at resources they have worked with in their career so far I'd have far more faith in Clancy than O'Donnell long term but the chances are Pats drop a place or two even if they get the same amount of points & it will be considered a regression

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    On the subject of the relative state of dundalks & derrys pitches I heard from a Rovers player last year that they hate playing on OP pitch, and players are left out based on the pitch, but love playing on the derry pitch-I think it's because Rovers have a training pitch similar to Derry surface so are more used to it, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    It will be interesting to see how Jack Scott gets on. Never heard of the chap tbh but seems to have a decent background between playing for Wolves U-23’s & Northern Ireland’s underage teams. Now for the final piece of the puzzle a goal tending type player.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Never heard of the chap tbh but seems to have a decent background between playing for Wolves U-23’s & Northern Ireland’s underage teams. Now for the final piece of the puzzle a goal tending type player.
    A very wise Pats fan once told me that background was largely irrelvant, you'll have to wait and see how he goes for your team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    A very wise Pats fan once told me that background was largely irrelvant, you'll have to wait and see how he goes for your team.
    touche

24. Thanks From: