Page 56 of 118 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I wouldn’t be as convinced as others at this stage that we are a shoe in for second. We could do with another centre (defensive) mid and another option up top.

I expected us to have at least a striker in by this stage we remain linked with some but clock is ticking.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I think that's fair, just look at the example of Alfie Lewis for you last year, what a player he was, but did anyone really hear of him before?

For the league next season, I would think its almost a given that Rovers unless they collapse in form will win it again, and I don't see anyone coming close to challenge Derry for runners up.

3rd spot seems to be the one up for grabs, Sligo appear to be a fair bit weaker than last season and up front will be their challenge, Bohs lost a good few and will more than likely lose Georgie, Shels too early for them, for me its between Dundalk and Pats, and Pats with more settled look and strong end to 2021 will be favs for now. Both clubs have new managers mind.

Will be very interesting to see how Derry kick on with their host of quality signings and first full season with Higgins, still think they need something more up front, but they should be more than comfortable in 2nd.
    Curious as to why you see Dundalk as challenging even for 3rd. The squad as of now is very poor. Last seasons best players have been lost, now heavily reliant on players who are either past their best, injury prone or unproven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    In fairness it's still all up in the air and dependent on further business being done. Dundalk probably aren't done themselves but can still field a decent starting XI with what they have already, meanwhile as encouraging as things may be for us we still have to sign a minimum of two players that will come in as first choice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    If I may insert my two penneth:
    I think Dundalk would be a good bet to finish 2nd- They have enough guys there who know how to win leagues and despite SOD's snakey behaviour, my opinion of him hasn't changed in that he looks to me like he has the makings of being a very successful manager.
    If he was to take over from Bradley in 2/3 yrs that would be just mustard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    dundalk need a good few more loan players, theyve not really add much from within the league to the team. mountney and benson are just off injuries and declining, they've to deal with that horror of a pitch aswell. doyle i think is a decent prospect , martin is average enough for PD standards and bone is another one who is nothing special especially if hes used out right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    What about Harry Kenny?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I wouldn’t be as convinced as others at this stage that we are a shoe in for second. We could do with another centre (defensive) mid and another option up top.

I expected us to have at least a striker in by this stage we remain linked with some but clock is ticking.
    Heard(from a v strong source) RH had Hoban and?or GK lined up but both deals fell apart and that has left him chasing..... apparently he was super confident about signing GK.That one could still happen of course.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If I may insert my two penneth:
    I think Dundalk would be a good bet to finish 2nd- They have enough guys there who know how to win leagues and despite SOD's snakey behaviour, my opinion of him hasn't changed in that he looks to me like he has the makings of being a very successful manager.
    I'm not sure Dundalk will hit the ground running though. SOD had a very shaky start with Pats in his first season maybe due to implementing his style or just finding his feet in management ? Now might not be the case now as SOD has a handful of players he's already worked with but I think Dundalk fans need to try their best not to get too ahead of themselves they have a massive job on their hands to get anywhere near top 3.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I think Derry are going to fall very short of the hype and i can't wait.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Anthony Wordsworth signs for 2022 for Waterford. He was very good last year but looked like he was gone as was on PFAI transfer list but club announced today he is back. We have held on to most of last seasons squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post
    I think Derry are going to fall very short of the hype and i can't wait.
    Hard to see how that happens they were one of the best teams on a points per game from when RH took over and he's added Micheal Duffy , McEleney, Dummigan and Patching from Dundalk all of whom are great signings as well as Brandan Kavanagh and Maher (a good back up Keeper) and i doubt he is finished signing people yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    waterford signing well doesnt bode well for us down in cork , clear favourites for me now. on derry i thought higgins side wasnt all that great last season tbh scraped a few lucky results and performances werent all that head turning. duffy is a big addition along with patching but i dont think mceleney will be near his past best. pats will fancy their chances of keeping 2nd place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    Curious as to why you see Dundalk as challenging even for 3rd. The squad as of now is very poor. Last seasons best players have been lost, now heavily reliant on players who are either past their best, injury prone or unproven.
    Duffy irreplaceable, Patching was good in some games and Europe but nothing like the form he displayed for Derry, McEleney excellent in europe but missed half the season, Dumminghan very versatile so he'll be missed, as will Murray. (Forgot about Cleary too)

Plus side, still have Hoban, Boyle, Sloggett, Leahy, Dan Kelly, and Benson and Mountney back, Gartland for experience but I don't expect him to be first choice so a decent spine, also don't see any of the best of the rest challenging for 3rd, in saying that I do think 4th might be the highest place, but certainly challenging for europe will be the target.

I also think we need 2 more players with decent experience, even if yet another Welsh u21 arrived today.
    Last edited by oriel; 17/01/2022 at 2:07 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    waterford signing well doesnt bode well for us down in cork , clear favourites for me now. on derry i thought higgins side wasnt all that great last season tbh scraped a few lucky results and performances werent all that head turning. duffy is a big addition along with patching but i dont think mceleney will be near his past best. pats will fancy their chances of keeping 2nd place
    Waterford are clear favourites for what out of curiosity? The Munster Senior Cup? I'm struggling to see how what they do impacts Cork at this point?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Waterford are clear favourites for what out of curiosity? The Munster Senior Cup? I'm struggling to see how what they do impacts Cork at this point?
    clear favs for the FD? do you need it spelled out for you? it impacts us as we also want to get promoted. hope that helps

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    You’re going to get some land when Waterford arrive for a game in Division 1 next season

19. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Ha Jesus I was having a brain fart there. Apologies JD. I genuinely forgot they went down for a minute. I stopped paying close attention to the play off situations about half way through the season.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Heard(from a v strong source) RH had Hoban and?or GK lined up but both deals fell apart and that has left him chasing..... apparently he was super confident about signing GK.That one could still happen of course.
    I assume this is aimed at Higgins and Derry? Derry already have two keepers, one of which signed a long term contract...Also Derry seems to rate and are backing Jamie McGonigle to be their main striker. Who was the keeper they supposedly had lined up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Anthony Wordsworth signs for 2022 for Waterford. He was very good last year but looked like he was gone as was on PFAI transfer list but club announced today he is back. We have held on to most of last seasons squad.
    Major coup for us in division one. A strong squad is coming together. A good mix of youth and experience, we need a few more additions though, lack of depth last year unfortunately played a role in us getting relegated. By all accounts Wordsworth turned down a premier division club to stay at Waterford.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    I assume this is aimed at Higgins and Derry? Derry already have two keepers, one of which signed a long term contract...Also Derry seems to rate and are backing Jamie McGonigle to be their main striker. Who was the keeper they supposedly had lined up
    I read it as GK meaning Georgie Kelly.

On the topic of him, one of the papers had an article online a few weeks ago saying he has options in Holland and Denmark as well as the UK. Would be interesting to see how he’d do in another European league rather than a Ross County etc
    Paaatrick's Agletic