Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Yeah maybe him and Long didn’t hit it off who knows! The consensus seems to be he’s lost a step but I’d say there’s a player in there still….
    Awful for Derry as well, no interest at all, and by all accounts the same at Linfield in a division he should have looked a rolls royce player.

Olly would need to be some motivator to get much from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Awful for Derry as well, no interest at all, and by all accounts the same at Linfield in a division he should have looked a rolls royce player.

Olly would need to be some motivator to get much from him.

Hasn’t played well in quite a while it seems,but we’re firmly in the punt game so we’ll have to hope he shows something!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Bastien Hery signed for Harps,obviously been a while since he’s done anything but Horgan has been known to get a bit out of players that have been written off….
    Its obv not his style, but in my view Hery needs to get 'stuck in' more on play, any recent games I saw him in, he was almost waiting for the ball, did nothing that night we beat Linfield 6-0 either, games just seemed to bypass him.

Still very much worth a punt as he has talent, probably his confidence has slipped, no better than man that Ollie for that........
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Waterford lads have any opinion on Adam O'Reilly? We've been linked with him this morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Regan Donelon signed with us ,last at Sligo.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Regan Donelon signed with us ,last at Sligo.
    Wish him well. A good Rovers servant over the years. Good signing for Harps if they can keep him fit and injury free, a very big if though.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Its obv not his style, but in my view Hery needs to get 'stuck in' more on play, any recent games I saw him in, he was almost waiting for the ball, did nothing that night we beat Linfield 6-0 either, games just seemed to bypass him.

Still very much worth a punt as he has talent, probably his confidence has slipped, no better than man that Ollie for that........
    I never bought the hype. I remember when he burst on the scene there were plenty of Dundalk supporters wanted him signed. Anytime I saw him it was tidy but all backwards and sideways, certainly didn't like to mix it

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    any word on UCD signings or outgoings (other than doyle) ? or will the squad be the same as last seasons?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I had thought Kerrigan was due to move on, but maybe it'll be the summer.

I'll be quite happy if we have half a season having only lost Doyle! (And Weir, who left before the end of last season technically)

Presume at this stage the majority of the shopping is done? Five weeks until the first match of the season and clubs presumably in pre-season.

In terms of the European places, which seem the tightest, Dundalk had made some decent signings but then stopped before it became a decent squad really. Amond for Sligo probably would have kept them at last year's level but they seem to be missing a striker still. Doyle at Pat's is the coup of pre-season, probably more than Byrne to Rovers. And Bohs need a forward too - and actually Georgie Kelly is still available technically. Fair to say only Pat's haven't weakened?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    thanks STU, hard to find out much on UCD until we see a friendly team sheet or something. is kerrigan finished his course or were u expecting him to leave on a normal transfer? himself and whelan were standouts in FD last year liked the look of brennan and keaney anytime i saw them too. are any due to be finishing up in the summer with their courses?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Whelan finishes in the summer. I thought Kerrigan was finished his course (he was linked with both Rovers) but maybe he's staying on till the summer. Keaney joined at the same time as Kerrigan but I think he's club captain this year so it looks like he's staying on. Evan Osam is our longest-serving player but he's a med student so that'd tie in. Mark Dignam, Luke Boore and Evan Farrell are the only three left from the Youth League game against Molde.

We're playing Cork on Tuesday apparently, so should know more then. Agree the lack of info is a pain in the wotsit alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

I'll be quite happy if we have half a season having only lost Doyle! (And Weir, who left before the end of last season technically)

Presume at this stage the majority of the shopping is done? Five weeks until the first match of the season and clubs presumably in pre-season.

In terms of the European places, which seem the tightest, Dundalk had made some decent signings but then stopped before it became a decent squad really. Amond for Sligo probably would have kept them at last year's level but they seem to be missing a striker still. Doyle at Pat's is the coup of pre-season, probably more than Byrne to Rovers. And Bohs need a forward too - and actually Georgie Kelly is still available technically. Fair to say only Pat's haven't weakened?
    Dundalk still have at least two more players to come, one of which is expected to be Mark Connolly.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...eland-dundalk/
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Player coming from Scottish second tier loan spell isn't hugely exciting on paper, is it?

I thought he was older than 30 tbf, there's probably something left in the tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Player coming from Scottish second tier loan spell isn't hugely exciting on paper, is it?

I thought he was older than 30 tbf, there's probably something left in the tank.
    Probably not, but he is contracted with Dundee Utd (SPL) to June 2022, but I take your point. Although they are joint bottom of second tier he does look to be one of their better performers still, played yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Whelan finishes in the summer. I thought Kerrigan was finished his course (he was linked with both Rovers) but maybe he's staying on till the summer. Keaney joined at the same time as Kerrigan but I think he's club captain this year so it looks like he's staying on. Evan Osam is our longest-serving player but he's a med student so that'd tie in. Mark Dignam, Luke Boore and Evan Farrell are the only three left from the Youth League game against Molde.

We're playing Cork on Tuesday apparently, so should know more then. Agree the lack of info is a pain in the wotsit alright.
    I’d heard Kerrigan was still there till July alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post

I try not to put too much stock in what players have previously done. Some come with big expectations and are rubbish and some with no fanfare and are hidden gems. It’s best to judge a player on what they do for your club.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I try not to put too much stock in what players have previously done. Some come with big expectations and are rubbish and some with no fanfare and are hidden gems. It’s best to judge a player on what they do for your club.
    Obviously final judgement will be based on how a player performs after they arrive. Gary Twigg would be a player who definitely came in and exceeded his previous history. But a big part of football transfers is literally putting stock in a player's past performances and using that to predict their effectiveness. That's why Pats big incoming striker is coming in so hyped. Should Mark Connolly easily nullify Doyle when the sides me I'll raise a metaphorical glass and a wry shrug of my shoulders for you.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts

Derry are stronger....

How would you rate Whelan and Kerrigan stu against the likes of Kelly, O'Neill, Farrugia etc? I haven't seen them much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Derry are definitely stronger - I was only looking at the battle for third though, and I think it'll be Rovers/Derry 1/2 this year.

Hard to rate those players as they're different styles to an extent. I think they can both go as far as the guys you mention. But Whelan and Kerrigan can both run at the heart of a defence and cause panic in a way the others couldn't (I guess I'm distinguishing between Farrugia running at a full-back to get to the byline, and the other two running at the centre-half to get in on goal). If they can do that at a higher level, that's a great ability to have.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 16/01/2022 at 4:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I think that's fair, just look at the example of Alfie Lewis for you last year, what a player he was, but did anyone really hear of him before?

For the league next season, I would think its almost a given that Rovers unless they collapse in form will win it again, and I don't see anyone coming close to challenge Derry for runners up.

3rd spot seems to be the one up for grabs, Sligo appear to be a fair bit weaker than last season and up front will be their challenge, Bohs lost a good few and will more than likely lose Georgie, Shels too early for them, for me its between Dundalk and Pats, and Pats with more settled look and strong end to 2021 will be favs for now. Both clubs have new managers mind.

Will be very interesting to see how Derry kick on with their host of quality signings and first full season with Higgins, still think they need something more up front, but they should be more than comfortable in 2nd.