Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    What would the FAI be able to do about it?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Interesting article on Drogheda getting stung for no compensation fee for James Brown despite continuing to pay him through the off season, due to a new rule change.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-41227978.html

Have to agree with Conor Hoey, it is mad that if he had signed for Pats (or any LOI club), they would’ve had to pay a compensation fee but Blackburn don’t
    I still don't get why an LOI club would have to pay but not a club in the UK?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What would the FAI be able to do about it?
    I think the point was about making clubs aware of the change in the rules. You could argue they should be up to speed themselves but it wouldn't take much effort from the FAI to send an email around given the importance of the changes.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Fair enough. I read the post as giving out that the FAI had allowed this to happen, but yeah, an update mail would be reasonable alright.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    As the parent body of football in the country, they should be keeping clubs up to date with every amendment to any rules handed down by UEFA/FIFA.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, but cross-channel interest? You wouldn't have looked at a newly-promoted side who did well but not spectacularly and said they'd attract that much cross-channel attention. It's rare at UCD too. Best of luck to the guys obviously, though there doesn't seem to be a Liam Scales or a Johnny Kenny there I think?
    3 players out of my count the 10 who definitely departed Drogheda have gone to UK so not a totally crazy amount. I think alot more players now are willing try UK first in their early/mid 20s before signing full-time for the top LOI teams and it seems so many LOI players have agents these days so more contacts available that can lead to trials at the likes of Blackburn

I don't know much about Phillips who I've heard is a promising young player the other two Brown and O'Reilly were at Shels and I wouldn't have ever considered them anywhere good enough for pro-teams in the UK but then they had Heary and Morris as their managers at Shels which may have been their problem fair play to them for achieving good moves over there
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Having seen (almost) all of Drogheda's games last season (and the season before) Brown is by far the best of the bunch. Can't see any of the others making much of an impression anywhere else. (AND I think Brown stood out in the league a lot more than Liam Scales).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Sure no Rovers players stand out in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    Just in relation to the supposed new ruling that saw Drogheda screwed,where was the FAI as the governing body in all of this ? Surely they should have their "finger on the pulse" when it comes to UEFA/FIFA making significant changes that sees smaller nation's clubs being short changed.
    It's incumbent on a business to be aware of any legislative or regulatory changes that impact them. If there was a legislative or regulatory change at European level in an industry it would not be up to the national regulator/body (where applicable) to inform a business under its supervision that change had taken place, it would be up to that business to be aware of it. Only where the FAI changes a rule themselves should they be obliged to notify a club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    That's all well and good, PS, but the clubs are barely businesses. Most of them have turnover smaller than the average Spar and are run by an odd lot of volunteers. Providing a little support on relevant rule changes is an obvious and useful service the FAI could easily provide that would reduce duplication of effort within clubs and avoid situations like this.

12. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Exactly. An email even once a month or every two months with updates on any relevant changes to UEFA/FIFA regulations would be very useful to the clubs. Of course the possibility exists that the FAI didn't pick up on it either.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well maybe it's just something else Irish football in general can learn from....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Talk of Weso coming back to Shelbourne. Wes Hoolahan homecoming would give Duff’s reign at Shelbourne that extra kick (msn.com)
    That would be fantastic to see. He made the league two team of the year last season so he is still a player.
    I used to love the casual class of Stephen McPhail when he played for Rovers, it was always obvious he was a step above everyone else on the pitch except for the obvious age factor slowing him down. Seeing Wes strolling around lighting the place up would be a treat.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    That's all well and good, PS, but the clubs are barely businesses. Most of them have turnover smaller than the average Spar and are run by an odd lot of volunteers. Providing a little support on relevant rule changes is an obvious and useful service the FAI could easily provide that would reduce duplication of effort within clubs and avoid situations like this.
    The Drogheda chairman is CEO of another business. I'd expect him to be able to keep up with regulatory/legislative changes as Poor Student said. The same should apply to many clubs that are owned/ran by successful business people. Fan owned/ran clubs are obviously different.

It'd be no harm for the FAI to send an email with updates but how do we make sure clubs read it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LOI101 View Post
    It'd be no harm for the FAI to send an email with updates but how do we make sure clubs read it.
    Well it's their fault if they don't read them.

Professional bodies will send out news updates about legislative changes - Chartered Accountants, Tax Institutes, even the Revenue Commissioners - even though the people subscribing to them are often successful business people. I think it does make sense for the FAI to have something similar - I presume comms from FIFA come through the FAI and that FIFA don't be e-mailing every little club going.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 13/01/2022 at 12:47 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yes completely agree. If the clubs don't read the emails then that's on them. Especially if they're told in advance that this is how the rule changes will be briefed out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LOI101 View Post
    The Drogheda chairman is CEO of another business. I'd expect him to be able to keep up with regulatory/legislative changes as Poor Student said. The same should apply to many clubs that are owned/ran by successful business people. Fan owned/ran clubs are obviously different.

Hoey probably missed the email during one of his rolling of eyes sessions at big bad Dundalk FC's managerial recruitment or every time he saw our shirt sponsor...he has in the past gotten sidetracked on the important issues at home while glancing up the M1 for the chance at a sideswipe. Not the first Drogheda chairman/ceo to do so though I could never decide whether it was more amusing or like a pesky fly that wont buzz off tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Hoey makes me laugh to be honest, he goes on podcasts and tries to talk big picture future of the game stuff but he is always having a dig at other clubs and trying to level people down to his level. Talks a good game but talk is cheap.
    I listened to him being interviewed last year (i think on LOI central) and he was all "best thing for the LOI would be a big 16 team league" .....or put another way Drogs might not get relegated..........Academies shouldn't be allowed recruit players from outside their areas ........or put another way ...Dundalk keep getting the best young lads in Louth or else they are off to Dublin.
    They weren't even the best examples just the ones i can remember.

That might have been the podcast where he was talking about signing Messi and giving him all the streaming reciepts...

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Hoey probably missed the email during one of his rolling of eyes sessions at big bad Dundalk FC's managerial recruitment or every time he saw our shirt sponsor...he has in the past gotten sidetracked on the important issues at home while glancing up the M1 for the chance at a sideswipe. Not the first Drogheda chairman/ceo to do so though I could never decide whether it was more amusing or like a pesky fly that wont buzz off tbh.
    It would appear you're not beyond a sneaky glance back down the M1 at him, Nesta!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    It would appear you're not beyond a sneaky glance back down the M1 at him, Nesta!
    Well it would be akin to ignoring the fly that crashlands in to yer summer socially distanced beergarden pint - it gets an initial ffs then a typically Irish well done chuckle for diving head first in to a pint before being dispatched with a flick!

24. Thanks From: