Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 38 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Happy with that one. He looks an exciting player.
    Tunde ? Yes he's a fine player, big strong lad too that can hold the ball up, definitely a good signing for Pats.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Contracts don't work like that. Both parties need to agree to an extension. I really hope that is what Pats are claiming as it will be laughed out of court.

Kelleher is trying to bully O'Donnell to admitting he is wrong, settling out of court with a groveling apology. Great that O'Donnell is fighting this.
    Not true I'm afraid. It could easily be agreed to in the original contract. Man United for example insert one way options into players contracts all the time and just notify them that they've taken up the option. As long as the other party is aware of its existence there's no reason why it couldn't be valid. What may be up for debate is whether and how it was activated and whether that was in line with the original clause.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Of course I wouldn't but that's football. You were playing Bohs however, not like there was a conflict of interest there.
    I've said it before on here that if he wanted to leave, then he & Dundalk should have used proper procedure. If Dundalk used proper channels while it would have been unpleasant to us it would ultimately have been accepted id reckon. We don't want anyone at our club that doesn't want to be here. If he didn't appreciate the backup and respect he received at our club then good luck. I'm not naïve to how cutthroat football can be but there is certain limitations to what is deemed acceptable conduct even among rival clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Tunde ? Yes he's a fine player, big strong lad too that can hold the ball up, definitely a good signing for Pats.
    Yeah looks an interesting signing. We have been lacking a good goal scorer since Christy Fagan left. Hoping he can fulfil the role.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I will say one thing in partial defence of Stephen O’Donnell. He is a footballer learning to be a manager. He couldn’t have been expected to have been expert in the implications of contracts. If, as Pats claim (and if they’re quoting dates of meetings I presume they have their evidence) he was in negotiations with Dundalk for some time while supposed to be acting in the best interest of his employer, the spotlight needs to fall on the new owners of Dundalk - successful businessmen who understand the law and appear to have wilfully steered him into the mess in which he now finds himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Yeah looks an interesting signing. We have been lacking a good goal scorer since Christy Fagan left. Hoping he can fulfil the role.
    A lot of us would have been worried that Hoban would have gone to Pats, if SOD was still there, that would have been a game changer loss for us, same time would been unbelievable signing for you, so relieved when he extended by 3 years.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Aodh Dervin to Shels….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    I will say one thing in partial defence of Stephen O’Donnell. He is a footballer learning to be a manager. He couldn’t have been expected to have been expert in the implications of contracts. If, as Pats claim (and if they’re quoting dates of meetings I presume they have their evidence) he was in negotiations with Dundalk for some time while supposed to be acting in the best interest of his employer, the spotlight needs to fall on the new owners of Dundalk - successful businessmen who understand the law and appear to have wilfully steered him into the mess in which he now finds himself.
    Id imagine that is the next step if the initial proceedings are found in favour of St Pats. I think his agent has a lot a blame on his desk either way how the ruling goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Contracts don't work like that. Both parties need to agree to an extension. I really hope that is what Pats are claiming as it will be laughed out of court.

Kelleher is trying to bully O'Donnell to admitting he is wrong, settling out of court with a groveling apology. Great that O'Donnell is fighting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Not true I'm afraid. It could easily be agreed to in the original contract. Man United for example insert one way options into players contracts all the time and just notify them that they've taken up the option. As long as the other party is aware of its existence there's no reason why it couldn't be valid. What may be up for debate is whether and how it was activated and whether that was in line with the original clause.
    Unilateral contact extensions are a legal minefield. Check out this blog
    https://www.asser.nl/SportsLaw/Blog/...-saverio-spera

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'm sure there are many possible arguments as to why they may be difficult to enforce but they do exist. A high profile case for example would be Pogba who is still at United because they triggered an extension of an extra year, and he was apparently ****ed off that they didn't offer a proper new contract at the time.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Mark Tighe - Pat's fan.
    Everton and Harps going by his Twitter Bio, fortunately he stays away from Conspiracy theories or weird statements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Aodh Dervin announced for Shels
    How did he do for Longford last season, seemed to be their Star Man in the First and is a good signing for Shels

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Unilateral contact extensions are a legal minefield. Check out this blog
    https://www.asser.nl/SportsLaw/Blog/...-saverio-spera
    There’s nothing unilateral about activating an extension already provided for in a mutually agreed contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

Contracts work exactly as they are written. If SOD agreed to give pats an option to extend his contract then that's it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Contracts work exactly as they are written. If SOD agreed to give pats an option to extend his contract then that's it
    Verbal v signed is a completely different case surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I think at this stage Pats & Dundalk fans should agree to a Christmas truce on the issue & leave this thread to LOI fans with their signings. The courts will decide the toss in the new year.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Everton and Harps going by his Twitter Bio, fortunately he stays away from Conspiracy theories or weird statements.
    Try telling Dundalk fans that lol. The long and short of it is the none of us know the truth of the specifics so we'll have to see what happens. However I'm glad it's been at least semi-proven to be the case that what certain Pats fans had claimed was the root of the issue is so, and Dundalk fans in the interim can worry about Keith Ward getting his penalty down from space in time for pre-season training, which will probably be taken over a zoom call as his head coach will reside in Mountjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I think at this stage Pats & Dundalk fans should agree to a Christmas truce on the issue & leave this thread to LOI fans with their signings. The courts will decide the toss in the new year.
    Well that lasted 7 minutes.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Well that lasted 7 minutes.....
    Those minutes were a simpler time.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    If, as O’Donnell claims, the original contract contained provisions for it to be terminated with a set notice period then does it really matter whether the extension was activated or not?

Page 38 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast