Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 28 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boynemunich View Post
    I think it's possible to be big/successful with out potentially exploiting your vulnerable fans/members. Its a big no from me and I'd consider boycotting my club over it. One of the grimmest announcements I've seen in football.
    As a Rovers fan I completely agree - bad enough that we took the original sponsorship , but we had a choice as to accept/reject this…. Really poor decision as let’s face it only a matter of time before gambling sponsorship for sports is banned ; so shame we didn’t do the right thing …. Then again DD owns Betdaq and also controls the Rovers board , so no real surprise.
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 16/12/2021 at 1:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boynemunich View Post
    I think it's possible to be big/successful with out potentially exploiting your vulnerable fans/members. Its a big no from me and I'd consider boycotting my club over it. One of the grimmest announcements I've seen in football.
    As someone who wouldnt dream of taking a thread off topic, this is more Loi promotional stuff than signings unless the gag on signing a horse is relevant.

Hot potato topic, maybe sponsorship is different but not everyone who gambles is a gambling addict, like those who have a beer in a clubhouse are not all alcoholics - maybe there should be a no alcohol policy too but I dont think it would be too popular. Yes there is an ethical obligation to support peoples health and wellbeing but Im not convinced that driving industries like gambling/alcohol in to the shadows fixes a social problem - it may prevent younger people taking up an interest in future generations but online access in the home is potentially more an issue. Improved awareness of the potential issues and a whole lot more funding (government and donations) to support systems I think would be better than ignoring these industries and being outraged by their marketing. I am say this not either having an issue with gambling addiction or knowing someone directly who has. There's very often a whole lot more going on with than an inability to resist the lure before falling in to a concerning cycle.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    maybe there should be a no alcohol policy too but I dont think it would be too popular.
    There is one isn't there? Alcohol sponsorship has been banned for years. (Since Budweiser stopped being UCD's sponsors, which I think was around 2007)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There is one isn't there? Alcohol sponsorship has been banned for years. (Since Budweiser stopped being UCD's sponsors, which I think was around 2007)
    Yes, but UCD are well ahead of the curve with the restriction on alcoholic drink companies in sports sponsorship only happening legally last month. Sponsorship and provision of products at sporting events, gambling or drink, are not poles apart imo. So better strategies are needed to mitigate against associated social issues than concealing their existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    As Nesta hints, the ban on alcohol sponsorship on UCD's campus was an internal one. I think the SU drove it, but university management co-operated or perhaps even encouraged it.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Rovers have signed a horse aswell ….

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamrockR...19876355059718
    cringe factor is at record levels on the advert itself, amateur hour attempt at comedy but i have no problem with a bookie sponsoring the club tbh.

no drink sponsors , no cigerettes , next no bookies , then what?
    Will the snowflakes be offended by McDonalds fast food sponsoring teams??
    Last edited by sbgawa; 16/12/2021 at 2:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Where does it end with prohibiting sponsors though? Should the likes of etoro be banned too as stock and crypto investing is essentially gambling? Or food producers so as not to antagonise people with eating disorders? Or credit card companies for facilitating people to get into debt? There are so many problems that people can have, as a society I think we would be better off focusing on providing services to help these people rather than just outlaw the promotion of these products and pretend that they don't exist. Football itself is a horrible industry really. Boys getting abused in academies, young uneducated men thrown on the scrapheap with no supports, kit manufacturers and stadium developers using slave labour.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    It's a good thing this didn't happen while Rovers were traipsing from stadium to stadium, or there'd have been some off-colour traveller jokes.

As it is, they need to reign in the marketing manager or whoever should have said neigh to all this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    cringe factor is at record levels on the advert itself, amateur hour attempt at comedy but i have no problem with a bookie sponsoring the club tbh.

no drink sponsors , no cigerettes , next no bookies , then what?
    Will the snowflakes be offended by McDonalds fast food sponsoring teams??

To be clear here I don’t have a massive problem with gambling promotion,I gamble myself at really low stakes for a bit of fun really,but I can understand why people will and do have a problem with it,the crap presentation of it was what I was sharing it for tbh,cringe indeed….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Should the likes of etoro be banned too as stock and crypto investing is essentially gambling?
    Except it's not though. There is a large amount of science to the stock market, and research involved, for those who take it seriously. And it's a model by which companies raise funds to expand, create jobs etc. They don't make their profits from their share listings - the reverse in fact, as the share listing generally reflects their actual and potential profits instead. But for gambling companies, the act of gambling itself is the source of profit.

Obviously there is a certain degree of chance and risk involved in the stock market, as there is with literally everything in life. But it is way more scientific than picking a horse or a number on a rouletter wheel.

If the stock market really was just the same as gambling, then everyone's pension funds would be getting spent on a black jack table instead.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Someone who supports a better team than mine might make a crack about it being a change from them signing donkeys.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Maybe Rovers members could do a charity sweepstake… Rovers horse wins the profits go to charity maybe the Children’s Hospital FG have never built…

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Gambling isn't my thing personally, and it does nothing for me. I'm not against it per se, but what I am against is the huge explosion in its promotion in recent years/this century. And it's basically the Brits' fault too.

Tony Blair brought in huge liberalisation of the gambling rules in Britain in the late 1990s - despite the fact that no voters were asking to have more gambling, and Labour not havong mentioned it in their manifesto. It was done because his party were raking in donations from the gambling sector, and they obviously wanted pay-back for that. What has happened since is that gambling has gone from being a fringe activity that always existed but wasn't really mainstream to something that cynical marketing has presented as being 'just a bit of fun, for everyone, and a normal part of everyday life'. And as so often happens - where the Brits led, Ireland followed.

Gambling is so in-your-face nowadays - it's literally everywhere. And unsurprisingly issues aroud problem gambling, debt, addiction, mental health etc have increased dramatically at the same time.

Again - no-one was asking for a dramatic increase in the promotion and availability of gambling. Just the industry itself. And it bought off a British government to secure it, and then the Irish government to meekly follow suit. And now we all pour money into the coffers of those companies. Many of whom are based in tax havens, so don't even have the decency to pay full taxes in-return for it either. Absolute parasites.

I'd happily go back to the old days of gambling being there for those who want to access it, but not in your face so you literally can't get through a single day of your life without some company trying to lure you into it. But hey - here's a race horse for your favourite football club, and you can help give it a funny name too ! Quick - spend all your money on it, as it's bound to be lucky

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Good debates but suggest a thread is made for it and this goes back to signings
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Maybe Rovers members could do a charity sweepstake… Rovers horse wins the profits go to charity maybe the Children’s Hospital FG have never built…
    All profits go to the club's charity partners as outlined.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Pat Hoban signing back at Dundalk,big signing for them….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Gambling isn't my thing personally, and it does nothing for me. I'm not against it per se, but what I am against is the huge explosion in its promotion in recent years/this century. And it's basically the Brits' fault too.

Tony Blair brought in huge liberalisation of the gambling rules in Britain in the late 1990s - despite the fact that no voters were asking to have more gambling, and Labour not havong mentioned it in their manifesto. It was done because his party were raking in donations from the gambling sector, and they obviously wanted pay-back for that. What has happened since is that gambling has gone from being a fringe activity that always existed but wasn't really mainstream to something that cynical marketing has presented as being 'just a bit of fun, for everyone, and a normal part of everyday life'. And as so often happens - where the Brits led, Ireland followed.

Gambling is so in-your-face nowadays - it's literally everywhere. And unsurprisingly issues aroud problem gambling, debt, addiction, mental health etc have increased dramatically at the same time.

Again - no-one was asking for a dramatic increase in the promotion and availability of gambling. Just the industry itself. And it bought off a British government to secure it, and then the Irish government to meekly follow suit. And now we all pour money into the coffers of those companies. Many of whom are based in tax havens, so don't even have the decency to pay full taxes in-return for it either. Absolute parasites.

I'd happily go back to the old days of gambling being there for those who want to access it, but not in your face so you literally can't get through a single day of your life without some company trying to lure you into it. But hey - here's a race horse for your favourite football club, and you can help give it a funny name too ! Quick - spend all your money on it, as it's bound to be lucky
    Charlie McCreevy's personal interest policy as a horse racing fan and a gamler. He dressed up looser restrictions and tax cuts to assist with the funding of the Irish horse racing industry. It probably did the job too really but needs reform now which could be a restrictive bill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Pat Hoban signing back at Dundalk,big signing for them….
    Meant to be a 3 year deal also for Hoban.

Benson meant to be also signing and possibly by tomorrow, not sure on his deal, he usually only does one year.

Dan Kelly on 2 year deal also as per local reports, but these all need to be confirmed by DFC.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I forget how the compensation is calculated but I would expect an offer similar to what Shels paid for Kane would see the deal done easily enough.
    I'm clueless on calculation of development fees but Dervin is 22 out of contract and Kane is 23 under contract so I'd guess there will be a difference between both fees paid as Kane will be a straight transfer negotiation between Shels/Drogheda
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Dan McDonnell was referring to it as "a compensation arrangement" for Kane in the Indo so I'm not sure he was under contract. Doesn't really matter either way I suppose.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 28 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast