Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There's a real change in tone from Pats fans, from being absolutely adamant on the facts to a more tempered 'if'. So are people protecting their legal case and toning down the noise or is there a drop in confidence that their case is concrete. There's no doubting Kelleher's will, he has bankrolled losses for his club for years, but will does not create a cast iron case. I doubt DFC will enter in to a court battle unless they too feel they have a good case.
    Maybe they’ve already paid compo 😛.

Don’t see much change in tone from Pats fans. What’s absolutely clear is that Dundalk were talking to O’Donnell before the cup final, unless you believe that they contacted him in the few hours between the match finishing and the news breaking. What also seems clear, to me at any rate is that, is that at the absolute minimum O’Donnell seems to have received an offer of a new contract at Pats in September. Reports said that Pats position was that he had signed. ODonnell/Dundalk seem to have a different view. Whether Dundalk believed they were in the clear as regards approaching O’Donnell it does seem like poor form on his behalf. My guess is that a deal will be done quietly and we won’t see the matter in court.

Anyway, as regards moving on, I think in a football sense Pats fans certainly have. As was said above, if SOD didn’t want to be at Pats then we certainly don’t want him now.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Derry plan B - sign a Dundalk player.........
    I think that is plan A and B for Derry. Plan C is signing any siblings of Plan A and B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Maybe they’ve already paid compo ��.

Don’t see much change in tone from Pats fans. What’s absolutely clear is that Dundalk were talking to O’Donnell before the cup final, unless you believe that they contacted him in the few hours between the match finishing and the news breaking. What also seems clear, to me at any rate is that, is that at the absolute minimum O’Donnell seems to have received an offer of a new contract at Pats in September. Reports said that Pats position was that he had signed. ODonnell/Dundalk seem to have a different view. Whether Dundalk believed they were in the clear as regards approaching O’Donnell it does seem like poor form on his behalf. My guess is that a deal will be done quietly and we won’t see the matter in court.

Anyway, as regards moving on, I think in a football sense Pats fans certainly have. As was said above, if SOD didn’t want to be at Pats then we certainly don’t want him now.
    Have a wander over to social media land there and you'll see that Pats fans have certainly not moved on.

I think the perception of change in tone comes from one poster in particular. Started very confidently that SOD and DFC were to be tried in the Hague to the softer ifs/buts/maybes and we'll never know stance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Daniel Cleary to St Johnston a done deal apparently….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Have a wander over to social media land there and you'll see that Pats fans have certainly not moved on.

I think the perception of change in tone comes from one poster in particular. Started very confidently that SOD and DFC were to be tried in the Hague to the softer ifs/buts/maybes and we'll never know stance.
    Actually SOD’s press conference has clarified a lot. He now acknowledges that he was under contract. He claims he had a “legal right” to end the contract by resigning. Pats appear adamant there was no such provision in the contract.

it seems to be a straightforward matter of whether there is or isn’t, which would take a court five minutes to settle by simply reading the contract. If there’s no provision, I presume we’ll be hearing about legal proceedings soon - unless compensation is paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    Actually SOD’s press conference has clarified a lot. He now acknowledges that he was under contract. He claims he had a “legal right” to end the contract by resigning. Pats appear adamant there was no such provision in the contract.

it seems to be a straightforward matter of whether there is or isn’t, which would take a court five minutes to settle by simply reading the contract. If there’s no provision, I presume we’ll be hearing about legal proceedings soon - unless compensation is paid.
    Seems simple enough to clear up alright. And if there was a provision for him to simply give notice and resign, then Pats will look foolish and naïve in both their reaction to this and their initial contract to O’Donnell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

Why would it take a court to read the "contract", surely that can be done by any lawyer qualified in employment law. What makes this contract different from any other? I have a contract with my employer but can resign in the morning

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Why would it take a court to read the "contract", surely that can be done by any lawyer qualified in employment law. What makes this contract different from any other? I have a contract with my employer but can resign in the morning
    That’s grand if that’s what your contract says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Indeed. He also spoke about giving notice. Wonder what the notice period was ? Does this not also imply that Dundalk were talking to him unofficially ( otherwise known as “tapping up”). We all know that happens, so I wouldn’t be too moralistic about it, but it certainly doesn’t leave SOD or Dundalk on the high moral ground. He also said he decided to quit Pats on the Tuesday after the cup final, which personally I don’t believe for a nano second.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Considering certain players have said that he told them a couple of hours after the final that he was off I wouldn't imagine he's being totally truthful on that front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Considering certain players have said that he told them a couple of hours after the final that he was off I wouldn't imagine he's being totally truthful on that front.
    Just spoke to those players and they said you're lying...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Dan McDonnell’s article says that O’Donnell is confident that the terms of his contract meant he could give a weeks notice. Seems very short to me but if that turns out to be the case then it’s poor from Pats.

If it turns out not to be the case and Dundalk have to pay compensation then so be it. Either way Dundalk have got the manger they wanted while destabilising one of their rivals.

I didn’t see it reported anywhere that he told Pats players the night of the cup final that he was leaving. Maybe that’s just another rumour floated around to try to paint O’Donnell as the bad guy.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    That’s grand if that’s what your contract says.
    Throw up SOD's contract there so patslawyer and we'll put this to bed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Tapping up? Forbidding it is cartel behaviour, an agreement between employers to suppress wages. It reminds me of peasants having to get the laird's permission to marry. If someone tried to head-hunt me from my current employer and my current employer objected, I'd tell my employer to **** right off. But polite-like, via a solicitor. Would you put up with it from your boss?

Even in football, the rules around tapping up are a polite fiction: the vast majority of transfers are conducted with some element of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Tapping up? Forbidding it is cartel behaviour, an agreement between employers to suppress wages. It reminds me of peasants having to get the laird's permission to marry. If someone tried to head-hunt me from my current employer and my current employer objected, I'd tell my employer to **** right off. But polite-like, via a solicitor. Would you put up with it from your boss?

Even in football, the rules around tapping up are a polite fiction: the vast majority of transfers are conducted with some element of it.
    If that logic is accurate then why are transfer fees paid between clubs for players under contract. If football is the same as other industries then why can’t a player move from one club to another freely.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Throw up SOD's contract there so patslawyer and we'll put this to bed
    I haven’t seen it no more than you have (I presume?). As pointed out above, Pats would look very foolish going to court if there’s a notice clause in it. But SOD will look a lot worse things than foolish if Pats go to court because there’s no notice clause. I don’t know the answer and unless you’re posting on behalf of SOD you don’t either. But I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Evan Weir signed for Drogs - was with UCD b4 moving to Maynooth - Stu any feedback on him?

https://droghedaunited.ie/evan-weir-signs-for-drogheda-united/?fbclid=IwAR2I2dvwGvBuFLkZxQr90W-jmVLVoT3_9z4lzeKrOBQsB14r75_QYbqoyWY

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Evan Weir signed for Drogs - was with UCD b4 moving to Maynooth - Stu any feedback on him?

https://droghedaunited.ie/evan-weir-...14r75_QYbqoyWY
    Granted I've never seen him play but must be a decent prospect if he was involved in U21's. I'm hoping he's a right back too as it would still leave us with a slim chance of retaining Conor Kane.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    U19 international I think. Was on standby for the 21s that time the England-based players were about to be banned from going to Montenegro.

Decent free on him. Not the first name I'd have thought would move on tbh. I'm thinking maybe a Richie O'Farrell type signing for ye?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    If that logic is accurate then why are transfer fees paid between clubs for players under contract. If football is the same as other industries then why can’t a player move from one club to another freely.
    Exactly.

Page 24 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast