Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I wonder will any LOI club pick up John Herron. The lad that was made a free agent from Larne
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Don't think he will be able to sign until January window.
    He isn't technically a free agent he just had his contract cancelled due to wearing a shirt with "up the Ra" on it.
    Bit like Roy keane when he left Man Utd, they cancelled his contract but he couldn't sign for Celtic until January.

There may be somewhere else he could sign but here its only free agents and only up to 31st August

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    I wonder will any LOI club pick up John Herron. The lad that was made a free agent from Larne
    Neil ORiordan had an excellent piece on him in the Irish Sun earlier in the week. Think Rory Hale was also in that picture also with him. NOR made excellent point decade ago or so that ex loi player did same thing and nothing was done ! Cant remember who the player was? I think Larne should have given him a warning instead of giving him the sack!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Flipping idiotic stuff on all sorts of levels for a professional footballer, yeah there are cameras everywhere but he was quite ok posing for that photo. Good enough that he cant just walk and pick up a wage elsewhere. Larne may be holding his registration as surely a mutual termination of contract makes a player a free agent, though if he did sign a short term deal, in a summer season league eg he could snooker himself on a longer term deal on the 3 club rule. I couldnt care less what somebodies political background is (within reason) but I would care about a player showing a bit of cop on and not put a club in a position such a decision has to be made. Consistency should matter but some clubs could do a PR job and the issue is quietly pushed aside, you'd wonder if he was a younger player, 20-30 goals a season and on the fringe of interational call-ups, would Larne or any club look to somehow salvage an asset or cut theor losses?!

Maybe its not really comparable but Ive seen 'No Surrender' on t-shirts at England games and its a song that still gets an airing by England fans but tbh I doubt that many actually know the context these days, peace process and all 20+ years on. Would a Celtic fans or a former Celtic player be so naïve as to not put it together? Like he was going to have to go and play for Larne again after and I doubt a good lot of Larne fans would just overlook what was on the t-shirt. As much a question as an opinion tbh.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/08/2022 at 10:12 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Flipping idiotic stuff on all sorts of levels for a professional footballer, yeah there are cameras everywhere but he was quite ok posing for that photo. Good enough that he cant just walk and pick up a wage elsewhere. Larne may be holding his registration as surely a mutual termination of contract makes a player a free agent, though if he did sign a short term deal, in a summer season league eg he could snooker himself on a longer term deal on the 3 club rule. I couldnt care less what somebodies political background is (within reason) but I would care about a player showing a bit of cop on and not put a club in a position such a decision has to be made. Consistency should matter but some clubs could do a PR job and the issue is quietly pushed aside, you'd wonder if he was a younger player, 20-30 goals a season and on the fringe of interational call-ups, would Larne or any club look to somehow salvage an asset or cut theor losses?!

Maybe its not really comparable but Ive seen 'No Surrender' on t-shirts at England games and its a song that still gets an airing by England fans but tbh I doubt that many actually know the context these days, peace process and all 20+ years on. Would a Celtic fans or a former Celtic player be so naïve as to not put it together? Like he was going to have to go and play for Larne again after and I doubt a good lot of Larne fans would just overlook what was on the t-shirt. As much a question as an opinion tbh.
    Believe me when I say Larne supporters would not overlook this. This is a country and football association that allow clubs with teams in 2nd and third tier who will not allow catholics to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Yeah I have to say that of all the places Ive been up north, cross communities, Larne was the spot I really did feel uncomfortable and i'd have been in the Portadown/Craigavon area daily for a number of years and even then I wasnt that sure about nipping in for a pint while waiting for the train home.. I was trying to not to sweeping as it was the town of Larne and not the club really but one would probably reflects the other and it was ages ago too and Larne's footballing fortunes has been on the up a bit since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    herron is decent, harps should be trying to get him in;

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    herron is decent, harps should be trying to get him in;
    I don't think Herron should have been sacked for what he did. An apology and maybe a suspension for a few matches would have been sufficient. (Although I imagine his relationship with Larne supporters may have been somewhat 'damaged'). There is a vast amount of hypocrisy on display here: There are plenty of elected representatives on this country who were ACTUAL members (in some cases leaders) of the IRA or cheer leaders for the IRA who are never expected to apologise for their beliefs and actions; in fact, they do quite the opposite by resolutely defending the 'armed struggle.' But by suggesting that Herron should sign for Harps are you implying that expressions of sectarianism (in this case support for the IRA) are more acceptable in the South? How much would you be bothered, for example, if a Harps player wore a UVF T-shirt, got sacked by Harps, and was then snapped up by Linfield?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Andy Lyons to Blackpool in January confirmed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Well hopefully they upped their offer from the last one we turned down, i guess they must have tbf.
    Love the line "joined us to play as a full time professional with European opportunities"
    Could be just a statement of fact but i feel like someone is having a little dig at our neighbours nothing wrong with a bit of banter

In fairness to him he deserves the opportunity and credit to him for not throwing his toys out of the pram when the club were saying no to Blackpool like the St Pats goalie did instead he has knuckled down scored more goals and Blackpool have come back in.
    Dont know who his agent is but whoever he is he has done well by his client and the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    The undisclosed fee is significant with the potential for additional performance-based benefits accruing subject to Shamrock Rovers F.C. over the term.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    The undisclosed fee is significant with the potential for additional performance-based benefits accruing subject to Shamrock Rovers F.C. over the term.
    Half a million doing the rounds on social media, so must be true. I seem to remember figures of £250,000-£300,000 the last time it was rejected but who knows how accurate they even were.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    £300k plus add ons according to Dan McDonnell.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    He has talent, deserves his chance over there, the transfer reminds me of when Enda Stevens was a Rovers player before his move, a grand ol' group stage experience before the move will do him just as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    £300k isnt miles off the €500k that's doing the rounds with currency exchange rates + add-ons.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Fair play to Rovers for consistently (bar the Mandreiu sale) getting decent fees for players these days.
    I'd love it if they could have gotten 500K as the fee. It would be great to start setting that as the precedent. It's a nice benchmark figure that I think we should be demanding for the top LOI talents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Alex Baptiste signed for Waterford today as a free agent.

He last played with Bolton and has been on the lookout for a new club after he turned down a player coaching role.

Not sure what he offers, but we’ve a paper thin squad with about 15 senior players. The match day squads have been filled out by the 19s all season. If he offers anything it’ll be his experience among a very young squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    That's a blast from the past, I have vague memories of him playing for Blackpool back in their Premier League days. God knows how much he has left in the tank but he's been playing somewhat regularly still at a decent level of late so at least there's that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    That's a blast from the past, I have vague memories of him playing for Blackpool back in their Premier League days. God knows how much he has left in the tank but he's been playing somewhat regularly still at a decent level of late so at least there's that

It’s hard to know what he has in the tank, his experience on the training pitch id imagine will definitely benefit the young squad. Especially with Murphy and Nolan out injured. Seen a few Bolton and other English club fans have an opinion that he’d still get a game in league 2, here’s hoping he adds quality to the squad.

These signings can really go two ways, you’ve got the impact Murphy/Nolan have had and then there’s the Greg Halford type. On paper looks a signing but in reality he came over with an ego thought he’d p**s the league instead he made a show of himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    It’s hard to know what he has in the tank, his experience on the training pitch id imagine will definitely benefit the young squad. Especially with Murphy and Nolan out injured. Seen a few Bolton and other English club fans have an opinion that he’d still get a game in league 2, here’s hoping he adds quality to the squad.

These signings can really go two ways, you’ve got the impact Murphy/Nolan have had and then there’s the Greg Halford type. On paper looks a signing but in reality he came over with an ego thought he’d p**s the league instead he made a show of himself.
    Speaking of Halford, he scored a beauty of an own goal in his most recent match for Hashtag Utd.