Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Portugal - Thurs, 11th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Collins out injured and O'Dowda in to replace him. Did Kenny not get the foot.ie memo regarding the prohibition on interchanging squad players of a different profile?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I was just saying in the scott hogan thread. If we need a goal surely hogan is the better option?

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    What will be interesting to see if Portugal give us all that room again on the flanks. If they do we could actually beat them

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Two massive losses and he is out. Dead man walking

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Picking up tickets tonight.. getting excited for this game.. really would love to see a win in front of a full crowd. It would be a huge boost for all of Irish football. We need something to fall in love with again.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Picking up tickets tonight.. getting excited for this game.. really would love to see a win in front of a full crowd. It would be a huge boost for all of Irish football. We need something to fall in love with again.
    Have you considered getting a dog ?

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I wouldn't be expecting anything really, Portugal should be too good to be caught out twice and are well motivated with the table the way it is. A competitive loss would be fine for me. This is all about Luxembourg (and boy does it still feel weird to be saying that).
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Agree with you but our team will be well motivated too - to prove that being 1-0 ahead against them in the 90th minute wasn't just a fluke. Portugal will sit back a bit more. We'll sit back less. That might suit us better in some ways. We're v unpredictable though at the minute, so I reckon a draw would be decent, a win would be great and the siginificance of a loss will depend on the performance. It is really about Lux though.. they must be punished for the trouble they caused us earlier in the group or it will all feel very much back to square one with Kenny being just as much of an unknown quantity (in terms of results) as he was when he took over.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Hope this is OK mods.

This is an aside from the game itself, but will be important for a lot of people from Ulster or north Leinster.

They are planning to close the Port Tunnel for maintenance at 10pm on Thursday, just as the game gets out. They did this after the Qatar game and I ended up traversing dark residential roads in the north inner city trying to find my way to the old N1 to get away.

Senator Niall Ó Donnghaile from SF is kicking up a stink about it online trying to get the work delayed by an hour or so if anyone wants to add to the bandwagon he's trying to get going on Twitter.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Hope this is OK mods.

This is an aside from the game itself, but will be important for a lot of people from Ulster or north Leinster.

They are planning to close the Port Tunnel for maintenance at 10pm on Thursday, just as the game gets out. They did this after the Qatar game and I ended up traversing dark residential roads in the north inner city trying to find my way to the old N1 to get away.

Senator Niall Ó Donnghaile from SF is kicking up a stink about it online trying to get the work delayed by an hour or so if anyone wants to add to the bandwagon he's trying to get going on Twitter.
    Totally ridiculous.. something similar wouldn’t happen for GAA or rugby match.

If it is closed, and you need it, you can use Google maps but turn tell to avoid tolls and it’ll bypass the port tunnels.

Depends where you’ve parked, I guess you went across the east link and then tried to go across east wall to north circular road. If simplicity is the most important thing, you could just go down the quays instead of going through east wall.

I’d probably weave through the south side, wherever traffic was best, end up through Christchurch, north king street and out the N1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Totally ridiculous.. something similar wouldn’t happen for GAA or rugby match.
    Not in a million years.

The port tunnel is what allows me to go to games. Before it opened it really wasn't practical to. Fighting my way across the city before and after a game was just impossible.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Molumby out tomorrow with a hamstring strain and Omobamidele faces a late fitness test after picking up a knock at the weekend.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Molumby will be a loss, hes been playing well for WBA recently. We might miss his energy in last 20 mins

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Think he's a lose in the sense that he'd have been seen as the one to replace Hendrick if he were injured. But he only came on in the 89th min the last time against Portugal and Knight offers energy. Probably offers a bit more energy in midfield imo and would be better in attacking areas.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I used to park at Malahide and get the Dart down from there. Until I came back one night after the game and they were loading the car onto the back of a truck that is. Shoulda gone to Specsavers. Bang to rights though I think I came out evens though having got away with it for a couple of seasons. Croke Park was a lot easier, always got a space in the car park at that chapel at the top of the hill. It made the wee 10 yard runs that you do on the way to a match so much easier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Agree with you but our team will be well motivated too - to prove that being 1-0 ahead against them in the 90th minute wasn't just a fluke. Portugal will sit back a bit more. We'll sit back less. That might suit us better in some ways. We're v unpredictable though at the minute, so I reckon a draw would be decent, a win would be great and the siginificance of a loss will depend on the performance. It is really about Lux though.. they must be punished for the trouble they caused us earlier in the group or it will all feel very much back to square one with Kenny being just as much of an unknown quantity (in terms of results) as he was when he took over.
    I think we’ll do ok, but I’d be very (pleasantly) surprised if we were to win. A draw would be great. We really need to beat Luxembourg though. As a Kenny supporter I’d fear for him if we don’t win that. I think the noise around another defeat to them would probably make his position untenable.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I think we’ll do ok, but I’d be very (pleasantly) surprised if we were to win. A draw would be great. We really need to beat Luxembourg though. As a Kenny supporter I’d fear for him if we don’t win that. I think the noise around another defeat to them would probably make his position untenable.
    Ive no idea how tomorrow will go, I just hope we put in a good performance. You are right on the Luxembourg game though. We need to win and play well in that game for sure

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I'm worried we're set-up for a big fall tonight. Sold out Aviva, seems like expectations are really high. RTE preview is calling for a bit of measured expectations, but that's a rare sight. If we lost 3-0 tonight I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but some people seem to think we should be disappointed with anything less than a point.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It's a weird one alright. There seems to be an air of confidence about the squad and optimism among the fans. An early Portugal goal and there could be a very audible bursting of the balloon and then who knows? It's not like the confidence and expectation is built on a massive amount, it would be a genuine test of the belief within the squad if they do go behind early and manage to respond. It should be a pretty spectacular atmosphere so hopefully it's tight and the crowd and players can really respond. I'm looking forward to it, but there is a slight sense of dread, not too far in the background, that it could all go horribly wrong.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

27. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Any thoughts on the team? There's probably a few pretty close calls and Omobamidele is an injury doubt. Biggest call might be the wingbacks, Coleman right and Doherty/McClean/Stephens left, or Doherty over Coleman on the right? Presumably Hendrick and Cullen will start, but it could be Knight or McGrath in there with them. Knight probably slightly more dynamic, McGrath slightly more creative. Robinson has to start and hard not to see Idah beside him.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast