Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Portugal - Thurs, 11th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    How many times has Kelleher actually played for Ireland? One impressive 45 mins in Hungary, and a day off against Qatar. That's all I can remember.

I think the "hasn't made a single error" line carries a lot of weight above. I wouldn't have made any errors v Qatar either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    How many times has Kelleher actually played for Ireland? One impressive 45 mins in Hungary, and a day off against Qatar. That's all I can remember.

I think the "hasn't made a single error" line carries a lot of weight above. I wouldn't have made any errors v Qatar either.
    I think that argument cuts both ways - hasn’t done enough to establish himself as a better keeper, or hasn’t played enough for us to know wether he is better or worse than Bazunu. The logical means of deciding that would be to give him more opportunities in the March friendliest and the Nation’s League. It’s in our interests to have two goalkeepers who are experienced and ready for international football when required. Time will tell who is the better keeper, but we shouldn’t be rushing to make a choice while they are both pretty much at the beginning of their careers.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think that argument cuts both ways - hasn’t done enough to establish himself as a better keeper, or hasn’t played enough for us to know wether he is better or worse than Bazunu. The logical means of deciding that would be to give him more opportunities in the March friendliest and the Nation’s League. It’s in our interests to have two goalkeepers who are experienced and ready for international football when required. Time will tell who is the better keeper, but we shouldn’t be rushing to make a choice while they are both pretty much at the beginning of their careers.
    That's sensible. We shouldn't be caught out if Bazunu is injured for an important match.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I wasn't actually making an argument though! I think it'd be perfectly wise to play Kelleher more. I have no dog in this fight, so to speak.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Kelleher is the better keeper, and when he plays, plays for a better club at a higher level of football. He hasn't made a single error when he's played for Ireland, not one. Unfortunately, he was injured at the wrong time. From playing football.

People constantly say he needs to play somewhere else, but that's no guarantee Kenny will use him. He probably sees his teammate Alisson who has to compete to be No. 1 for his country, or Alexander Arnold play for his club week in week out, he's one of the best right backs in the world, but his own international manager still doesn't want to know. So the answer to Kelleher really has to be more than "play somewhere else".

Randolph is not in the picture. He had his time and did a decent job, but he's just not as good as the two in front of him, and that's the way it is.
    Bazunu has played at International level and shown himself to be an excellent keeper, Kelleher has a handful of games at club level and done well, but theres no evidence to say hes a better keeper.

I think we are lucky to have both, but right now only one of them is playing regularly and he has been brilliant for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718