Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Portugal - Thurs, 11th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I've been one of Hendrick's biggest critics for a while now. Have to say however, he played fine game tonight. Looked far more like the player we need him to be.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Brady is being put in his spot by Sadlier and DM. Being called out for the negativity he is spouting. The evolution of the team over the last year and a bit is something we should be quite positive about.

Portugal had more chances because they are a far superior team to us. We kept a clean sheet and could have won it. On top of a similar performance away to them where we had our hearts broken. If you cant be positive and proud of that then i am not sure what else to say.

I don't think you've said anything there to actually argue against what Brady said though.

I can be positive while keeping in context that Portugal were hugely disappointing. They'd dropped a rake of players (everyone on a yellow), gave the ball away under no pressure too often. Perspective is needed here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't think you've said anything there to actually argue against what Brady said though.

I can be positive while keeping in context that Portugal were hugely disappointing. They'd dropped a rake of players (everyone on a yellow), gave the ball away under no pressure too often. Perspective is needed here
    But you're not being positive. And neither is he.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    A poor enough game; a lack of real quality from both teams. Portugal were extremely disappointing. and never really turned up, but we just aren't of a standard, particularly in attack, to be able to have taken advantage.

Nobody was truly outstanding from our point of view. Robinson was bright and Hendrick was busy. McGrath didn't look 100 per cent fit and offered little. I would have preferred to see Idah start.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I don't think much can be taken from this match and it's still a long way off a performance like we seen against European championship semi finalists Denmark in McCarthy's last game. I think under McCarthy we would have won that game. But we already know we've gone far backwards under Kenny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    But you're not being positive. And neither is he.
    I feel happy we drew. It's better than losing 3-0 which was a possibility.

I just don't agree with your effusive praise of the performance.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    We did fine, I wouldn't go too mad with praise: some good performances, some not so good ones. A point against Portugal nothing to be dissapointed with really. But now Kenny has to make sure we don't regress, like we did after the last Portugal game, and go out and beat Luxembourg. That's the cup final. Do that and I'll actually think better off him.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    There was a really good passage of play in the 2nd half where Coleman was in very tight spot that we played it out and up along the wing that led to Egan having a very good chance he blazed over. 99 times out of 100 under any of our last 3 managers that was pumped up field only for it to come back.

Players are certainly buying into Kenny.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I don't think much can be taken from this match and it's still a long way off a performance like we seen against European championship semi finalists Denmark in McCarthy's last game. I think under McCarthy we would have won that game. But we already know we've gone far backwards under Kenny.
    That might be one of the worst comments I've ever seen in all my years on this forum. As the rules say attack the post not the poster, but my god dude

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Would have agreed with the people here saying to replace Ogbene at half time but thank God that didn't happen. He was immense in the second half, he really grew into the game after a shaky first 30 mins or so.

Some heart in mouth stuff in the first half trying to play out but I think it's really important that we're confident enough to knock 5-6 passes around in those areas so that we didn't become too predictable on when we were going to knock it into space. It's exactly what we weren't doing under previous managers and was the reason everyone couldn't be f*cked watching Ireland games anymore.

I'm sure we will see a lot of the coverage talk about a poor (and understrength) Portugal performance but credit has to go to the management and players that we were able to capitalise and keep the ball for large periods in the second half, even before the sending off I thought we were giving just as good as we were getting.

I thought Doc, Hendrick and Robinson were our standout players tonight. The team is looking much more confident we just need to figure out how to score some goals.

I'm assuming I have my green tinted glasses on, but was the free out for the foul on Patricio at the end a little soft?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    I'm assuming I have my green tinted glasses on, but was the free out for the foul on Patricio at the end a little soft?
    Very soft.

But if we're complaining about that, we have to allow that Pepe shouldn't have been sent off.

The ref was crap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    I think we did well. You can say Portugal weren’t up for it etc, but they still have a lot of quality. It’s clear that some people are just unable to give Stephen Kenny any credit whatsoever. In my view we’re definitely improving. I don’t mind Brady too much saying he’d wait until next year to make a decision. In reality there is no rush. I definitely think we’re going in the right direction though.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Perspective is needed here
    Yeah the perspective is that Portugal can drop several key players and still have a squad valued at and earning far more than if Kenny had his every eligible player available to him
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    It was very poor refereeing indeed. The foul call against Keane was soft but I think Keane did a poor job of timing/positioning.

In an ideal world you’re in between the goalkeeper and the ball as opposed to obviously moving toward the keeper as the keeper is coming out.

Ah well. Hard to say if it actually would have led to a goal as Portugal obviously turned off after it happened/whistle blown.

21. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    That might be one of the worst comments I've ever seen in all my years on this forum. As the rules say attack the post not the poster, but my god dude
    Let's be fair, McCarthy had tougher opposition in his group and deserved to beat both Switzerland and Denmark at home. I feel we would have beaten a disinterested team like Portugal under McCarthy but then again, we probably would be still in the group so Portugal would have put out a stronger team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I think we did well. You can say Portugal weren’t up for it etc, but they still have a lot of quality. It’s clear that some people are just unable to give Stephen Kenny any credit whatsoever. In my view we’re definitely improving. I don’t mind Brady too much saying he’d wait until next year to make a decision. In reality there is no rush. I definitely think we’re going in the right direction though.
    I think that's spot on for me
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/11/2021 at 9:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Very soft.

But if we're complaining about that, we have to allow that Pepe shouldn't have been sent off.

The ref was crap
    Would agree with that. I commented earlier that he was giving us nothing, but Pepe could certainly feel hard done by to get sent off. Didn’t see too much wrong with our goal either.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Very soft.

The ref was crap
    He was on a yellow and threw is hand/arm out at a player, may not of been much in it but it was idiotic and put his team under pressure. Pepe has a track record of such needless booking and sending offs
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Ah there was nothing in it though. He was a bit silly but really neither was a yellow. And Danilo's wasn't a yellow either. The ref was giving those soft fouls all match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    I feel happy we drew. It's better than losing 3-0 which was a possibility.

I just don't agree with your effusive praise of the performance.
    That’s fine. Conversely, I wouldn’t have gone as diabolically negative as many others (not you) have in the recent past.

28. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast