Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Portugal - Thurs, 11th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    If Coleman and Omabamidele are both out is there an argument for going to a back 4?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    If Coleman and Omabamidele are both out is there an argument for going to a back 4?
    None whatsoever as Doherty and McClean in a back four spells disaster. Egan and Stevens are in poor form at club level where they play a back four. Collins is more than good enough to fill in and you could say he's performed better than Omobamidele has at club level.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Is Coleman a doubt? If so, I think Doherty and Stevens will be the wing-backs and he'll risk Collins in centre half if Coleman isn't available. On the other hand, if he has Doherty and Coleman available, he'll play one at centre half in the absence of O'Shea and Omobamidele.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Any thoughts on the team? There's probably a few pretty close calls and Omobamidele is an injury doubt. Biggest call might be the wingbacks, Coleman right and Doherty/McClean/Stephens left, or Doherty over Coleman on the right? Presumably Hendrick and Cullen will start, but it could be Knight or McGrath in there with them. Knight probably slightly more dynamic, McGrath slightly more creative. Robinson has to start and hard not to see Idah beside him.
    Think it's gonna be:

............................Bazunu

...Omobamidele - Duffy - Egan

Coleman - Hendrick - Cullen - Doherty

.................Robinson - McGrath

...............................Idah

Think we'll go back to how we set up in the first game with Omobamidele starting rather than O'Shea. But it is hard to call because McClean has been good, and Coleman might not be able to start both games. Knight or McGrath is a toss of the coin. Knight offers you energy in midfield all night to press Portugal and McGrath is more comfortable on the ball and has been playing good for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Is Coleman a doubt? If so, I think Doherty and Stevens will be the wing-backs and he'll risk Collins in centre half if Coleman isn't available. On the other hand, if he has Doherty and Coleman available, he'll play one at centre half in the absence of O'Shea and Omobamidele.
    Kenny said the other day that Coleman might not be able to start both games because of hamstring issues and both games being four days apart. Had something like four hamstring injuries in the last year and last one was when he played back to back games for us in quick succession.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Kenny said the other day that Coleman might not be able to start both games because of hamstring issues and both games being four days apart. Had something like four hamstring injuries in the last year and last one was when he played back to back games for us in quick succession.
    Séamas needs to look after himself. He can’t be playing too much football if he is having fitness problems. Surely a fit Doherty has to be as good as Séamas not being spot on fitness wise ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Séamas needs to look after himself. He can’t be playing too much football if he is having fitness problems. Surely a fit Doherty has to be as good as Séamas not being spot on fitness wise ?
    Well more talk this morning that Coleman won't be starting and will start against Luxembourg instead. Omobamidele and Horgan don't make the squad for tonights game anyway.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Think it's gonna be:

............................Bazunu

...Omobamidele - Duffy - Egan

Coleman - Hendrick - Cullen - Doherty

.................Robinson - McGrath

...............................Idah

Think we'll go back to how we set up in the first game with Omobamidele starting rather than O'Shea. But it is hard to call because McClean has been good, and Coleman might not be able to start both games. Knight or McGrath is a toss of the coin. Knight offers you energy in midfield all night to press Portugal and McGrath is more comfortable on the ball and has been playing good for us.
    if all fit, thats the team surely

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Anyone else have fears that Gavin has a mare tonight?

Its a terrible feeling I have, please prove me wrong Gav B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    dont think he will play both of coleman and doherty unless coleman goes into the back 3 now that Omobamidele is out. more likely that collins will come in for omobamidele
    mcclean will start left wing back i suspect

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post

Gavin’s fairy god-mother usually does a very good job.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    dont think he will play both of coleman and doherty unless coleman goes into the back 3 now that Omobamidele is out. more likely that collins will come in for omobamidele
    mcclean will start left wing back i suspect
    Is stevens in that bad of form that McClean could be considered better for the left wing back position ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post

The P-Stu Jur is still out on him. I still amn't overly confident, and going on his performances bar his positioning from set-pieces and general ability in the air he has done very little wrong. But reading about him elsewhere I feel he is due a couple of errors, and its either going to be tonight or Sunday. And its not a case of proving one wrong or right, its a case of identifying whether or not he is actually a consistent and smart keeper.

I predicted a 1-1 or draw the last game, I think this time we will lose, the pressure on Portugal is not the same as the first game a draw and a win at home against Serbia sees them top the group. They won't be as gung ho and I think we'll be more open and out in our play, which will make things easier for them. Wouldn't be surprised by a two goal deficit and we don't score.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Egan, Stevens, Doherty, Hendrick, Cullen, and Idah are a booking away from missing the Luxembourg match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is stevens in that bad of form that McClean could be considered better for the left wing back position ?
    mcclean has done well in his last few appearances. will be hard to leave him out. playing very well for wigan too. saw something on sky sports a couple of weeks back where the lads in the studio were describing him as way too good for L1

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    mcclean has done well in his last few appearances. will be hard to leave him out. playing very well for wigan too. saw something on sky sports a couple of weeks back where the lads in the studio were describing him as way too good for L1
    yeah agreed - somewhat reluctantly. He's a funny one. I'd say for every good game he's had for us he has frustrated the hell out of me in at least two others. Until about a year or two ago I used to more or less support his inclusion then I switched to being horrified at his inclusion. Now I'm back to "ok, probably pick him but the good McClean had better turn up".

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Squad confirmed. Omobamidele confirmed injured, along with Molumby. Horgan other squad member not included (essentially replaced by O'Dowda)...

Bazunu

Doherty
    Collins (Could be Coleman but unlikely)
    Duffy
    Egan
    McClean/Stevens (Could be Coleman and Doherty at wing back but unlikely)

Cullen
    Hendrick

McGrath/Knight
    Idah
    Robinson

A few days ago, he essentially said both Doherty and Coleman had injuries recently and would only play one game each, obviously that was before the A.O. injury, but most likely he'll play Coleman v Luxembourg and Doherty tonight...

Really small axe to grind but Ciaran Clark should have been in the squad. Would give you an out and out centre half on the bench...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 11/11/2021 at 5:04 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Horgan being left out of the squad is slightly strange given O'Dowda wasn't in the original squad, and Kenny likes the Horgan option. Not a bad decision necessarily as Horgan had a couple of poor games; just a strange one.

How many centre-halves do we have in the squad? Kenny seems to like playing a risky games with regards CB injuries.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Horgan being left out of the squad is slightly strange given O'Dowda wasn't in the original squad, and Kenny likes the Horgan option. Not a bad decision necessarily as Horgan had a couple of poor games; just a strange one.

How many centre-halves do we have in the squad? Kenny seems to like playing a risky games with regards CB injuries.
    Four CBs with Manning and Stevens as cover for LCB.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Assuming he starts the three obvious ones, you've basically got Coleman and Manning on the bench who can play there, but isn't the preferred position of either. I'd guess Scales will be called up after the game as cover - i really can't fathom the Ciaran Clark stuff.

genuinely much less problematic than what we've seen with Trap or O'Neill but nonetheless he's playing regularly in the premier league at centre half. he's started 9 of their 11 games. just makes no sense...

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast