Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Portugal - Thurs, 11th November 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    How many games did it take John Aldridge before he finally scored for Ireland (eventually being handed a penalty against the mighty Malta).. and he was a top scorer at Liverpool at the time

Idah is 20, learning his trade. Are we going to give young players a chance to grow and develop at all anymore.

I see people here and elsewhere complaining that some of our current players aren't as good as Paul Mc Grath.. the Black Pearl was 26 before he made his Ireland debut..wonder were people looking at a 19-20 yr old Paul Mc Grath and writing him off as no better than a LOI journeyman?

Give players time.. patience

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Here's a hand grenade into the discussion for fun. Idah reminds me of Sammon. Holds the ball up well, doesn't know where the goal is, surprisingly poor in the air.

12 caps now, not a hint of a goal, and not getting into a poor Norwich side. I think he needs a loan move fairly soon.

Discuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Hasn't pushed on but only 20. Plenty time for him.
    1. Based on minutes played, has six goals in just over ten club games, due to Farke only wanting to use Pukki up front. We'll see if the new manager is willing to give him a proper shot - if not, then yes, a loan move would be important for him
    2. 22 goals at underage level for us, top scorer in Euro U17 qualifiers a few years ago - definitely knows where the goal is. Doesn't only hold play up, I've seen him roast defenders to get to the byline as well as lay of the ball very well, as he did to Robinson today
    3. Took John Aldridge 20 games to open his account for us

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Very soft.

But if we're complaining about that, we have to allow that Pepe shouldn't have been sent off.

The ref was crap
    The ref wasn't crap, he made a poor decision re the foul on the goalie, but his other decisions were good and Pepe was good for his 2 yellows. And if you so condemn the ref, does that mean Kenny's team should won have that game? and in winning the game would you still be similarly critical of Kenny?

On Kenny, I'd say of those who attended the game, most would be okay with Kenny continuing in the role. It does say something when a top European team are rendered neutral by a distinctly average Irish team (by our standards) who offered an intelligent game plan. Offhand I can't think of any previous Irish manager who would have done better than Kenny in his preparation for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Adam Idah is a strange one. Pukki is obviously a goalscorer but I find it very odd that Norwich have never tried them together.

This is one for those of us of a certain age, but with the right coaching I could see him turning out a lot like John Fashanu.

Obviously the game has changed and a lot of the things the crazy gang did would be impossible today, but big, strong, and awkward as hell are still qualities in a forward.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Very dull match. Was like a dour friendly. Portugal uninterested as was shown by their selection. They were resting before their important match against Serbia. Nothing really can be read into this performance based on that but I thought we were quite poor.
    I agree. For me is the end of the road for Kenny but I cant understand why he would get an extension for a 2nd campaign

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Very dull match. Was like a dour friendly. Portugal uninterested as was shown by their selection. They were resting before their important match against Serbia. Nothing really can be read into this performance based on that but I thought we were quite poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Adam Idah is a strange one. Pukki is obviously a goalscorer but I find it very odd that Norwich have never tried them together.

This is one for those of us of a certain age, but with the right coaching I could see him turning out a lot like John Fashanu.

Obviously the game has changed and a lot of the things the crazy gang did would be impossible today, but big, strong, and awkward as hell are still qualities in a forward.
    Flemming Povlsen was another nuissance for defences. Wynton Ruffer Yekini and the koreans had a 9 that was a beast Cha- Bum unbearable for defenders

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The ref wasn't crap, he made a poor decision re the foul on the goalie, but his other decisions were good and Pepe was good for his 2 yellows. And if you so condemn the ref, does that mean Kenny's team should won have that game? and in winning the game would you still be similarly critical of Kenny?

On Kenny, I'd say of those who attended the game, most would be okay with Kenny continuing in the role. It does say something when a top European team are rendered neutral by a distinctly average Irish team (by our standards) who offered an intelligent game plan. Offhand I can't think of any previous Irish manager who would have done better than Kenny in his preparation for this game.
    3-6-1 is not a very offensive formation but it worked

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

We should have lost this game Ronaldo was denied by a crucial Coleman block and the post

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    What bothers me about Brady is he says “we must at all costs wait until the friendlies before making a decision on his suitability” while (during the exact same discussion) having said “we can’t read anything into positive performances in friendlies”. That’s absurdly twisted logic….
    For me a guy who played as number 10 as the way he did for Ireland Juve Inter La Samp Arsenal.and the whu. ....is always right

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    What bothers me about Brady is he says “we must at all costs wait until the friendlies before making a decision on his suitability” while (during the exact same discussion) having said “we can’t read anything into positive performances in friendlies”. That’s absurdly twisted logic….
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    That’s incorrect : he said we’ve approx 3 friendlies in March and 4 Nations cup games in June - and after that a decision should be made i.e. allows FAI more time/facts to help formulate a decision - made complete sense to me.

Personally just the fact alone that Kenny persists with giving McClean game time is enough to question whether he should get a new contract
    I heard yesterday in La Red AM Radio in Bs As that we are gonna play a friendlies in.Europe in March the radio host Gustavo López said the rumour is Ireland and France but there isnt any concrete at all. If I get something more I will let you know. Dont know if we are gonna do one or two friendlies in March 2022. We will play Italy for a cup.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    1. Based on minutes played, has six goals in just over ten club games, due to Farke only wanting to use Pukki up front. We'll see if the new manager is willing to give him a proper shot - if not, then yes, a loan move would be important for him
    2. 22 goals at underage level for us, top scorer in Euro U17 qualifiers a few years ago - definitely knows where the goal is. Doesn't only hold play up, I've seen him roast defenders to get to the byline as well as lay of the ball very well, as he did to Robinson today
    3. Took John Aldridge 20 games to open his account for us
    U17s record is irrelevant in fairness. Lots of players don't bridge the gap from 17s to senior.

I don't think the John Aldridge comparison is relevant. Aldo was a proven top forward. If Sammon had played 20 games, he'd probably have scored for us. Does that mean Sammon was as good as Aldridge?

Not really interested in goals per minutes stats if he's not getting minutes. Why's he not getting minutes? Because the manager simply prefers someone else up front? Or because he's not ready yet? If he's not ready for senior club level, then he's not ready for senior international level.

Yes, he's only 20 and has time, and yes, the manager change will be interesting, and yes, we are desperate for options up front. But for me, Sammon Mark II - and even Sammon got a couple of assists in his nine caps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    The ref wasn't crap, he made a poor decision re the foul on the goalie, but his other decisions were good and Pepe was good for his 2 yellows. And if you so condemn the ref, does that mean Kenny's team should won have that game?
    Ah, you can always trust geysir to have a cantankerous view for the sake of being different.

The ref was crap. He gave far too much soft stuff. The only saving grace is he was consistent. Ogbene's booking was nonsense. Both Pepe's bookings were nonsense. I think the foul on the keeper at the end was as soft as you'll see. There were plenty of other examples.

Does that mean we should have won the game? I don't see where you're jumping to that conclusion from. If you take it the goal at the end should have stood, then you have to accept that Pepe should have been on the pitch to defend it. And also, the whistle had long gone by the time Doherty put the ball in the net, so the Portuguese, only half interested in the game to start with, had probably completely switched off

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Idah is quality. Played very well when he came in everything stuck played some lovely first time balls . Brought people into the game and let us really have a foothold for the last 35 minutes. In that same time ogbene gave the ball away on the few occasions he got involved hugging the touchline and had 2 straight line runs going nowhere and a mi**** bobbling cross that Steven's put over. Ogbene has lots of talents but his link up play and appreciation of the play around him is poor at the moment. That straight line kick it past and chase style will get frustrating very quickly of there isn't development which sure there will be. He seems incapable of coming off the line and combining with his centre forward in central positions and showing some guile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    that was a very good performance last night. not excellent, but very good.

we look like a proper well prepared team with a plan. keeping possession when needed but also not afraid to go direct either. definitely the right balance imo.
    to say portugal were only half interested is such nonsense. it was a wc qualifier where their qualification still hangs in the balance. a serbian win on sunday is not out of the question.
    every time we have a decent performance the usual suspects trot out the same old excuses... (take your pick from... the opposition were only half bothered / sent out a weakened team / took their foot off the pedal). give us a break!

no one can argue that SK isn't getting the very best out of the players we have since June. that's all we can ask from manager and players. the recent enthusiasm and obvious excitement from the crowd that turn up to watch says it all for me. a bit of a buzz around the team again.
    Last edited by jbyrne; 12/11/2021 at 7:30 AM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    to say portugal were only half interested is such nonsense. it was a wc qualifier where their qualification still hangs in the balance. a serbian win on sunday is not out of the question.
    Whether the drew or won yesterday made no difference to the result they need on Sunday. They left out five of their six players on a yellow, including Jota and Ruben Dias, which I think was one of the most solid indications that the focus was to come through unscathed for Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Whether the drew or won yesterday made no difference to the result they need on Sunday. They left out five of their six players on a yellow, including Jota and Ruben Dias, which I think was one of the most solid indications that the focus was to come through unscathed for Sunday.
    if they lost a draw on sunday would have sufficed for serbia. if you turn up half bothered then you risk losing, which they nearly did.
    yes, they left out players but still had a team on paper light years ahead of ours

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    yes, they left out players but still had a team on paper light years ahead of ours
    But maybe that explains why they felt they could leave out players against us and still be confident of not losing. The manager will argue that they've no suspensions (except Pepe, who isn't far off being past it anyway) or injuries or even much in the way of fatigue, so they're nicely set up for Sunday now. And really, they were rarely in danger; their keeper had one save of note to make.

I don't agree with the approach - I remember Jack Charlton saying he told the players to ease up at 2-0 up at half time against Lithuania as we were playing Spain the next week, and he regretted it as we never got going against Spain - but I don't think it's "nonsense" to say Portugal were only half-interested last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Portugal did seem poor and disinterested last night but that sort of language suggests it's a one-off but they were pretty poor in Faro too for the most part.

The context is important - it felt like a weird game for sure - but a really solid showing against one of the world's best teams is absolutely fine by me.

The most encouraging part imo is how much more assured we seem at the back, hopefully it's a proper trend but it does feel like we're tightening up in a way that will be extremely important next campaign (especially since, as ever, we're not going to score loads and loads of goals).
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Lucky enough to be at the game last night. I thought it was a really solid performance, with few clear chances for either side. I was a bit surprised at Robinson man of the match. Though he did ok but nothing major. Coleman and Cullen stood out for me. McGrath was barely in the game and Ogbene struggled early but put in some exciting runs. I thought Idah was excellent when he came on, I always feel he's a player who needs regular games and hope he gets them soon, his strength and awareness is impressive and the goals will come for him.

I didn't think the "scary" moments playing out were all that scary. I think there was only one really dodgy one into Cullens feet when he was under serious pressure. Mixed it up well, rarely felt under the cosh and kept the ball well enough to have some decent pressure ourselves. I was pretty close to the second yellow for Pepe and though it was fully deserved, knew exactly what he was doing. Thought the Ogbene one was very harsh, didn't look to have really enjoyed extended the arm at all, it was a much more natural defensive position.

Need to go and beat Luxembourg now to drive home the progress.

24. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Interesting approach as if they ,had won last night they were in the driving seat on Sunday. Ireland are improving and hopefully that continues in Luxembourg.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast