Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Manager situation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Manager situation

Thought it might an opportune time to go mad and have a second thread this year.

Shame to see Daire go; it’s unique that a manager can be bottom of the league with two wins all season yet have pretty much universal approval from fans. I hope he’ll go on to have a great career. I wondered what he meant when he said “we couldn’t agree on a way forward” - are we scaling back on the kind of budget he’s been used to?

Anyway, the dog barks and the caravan moves on, to borrow from former Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha. So who’s next?

Ian Morris?
    Paul Doolin?
    John Martin?

I’d sound out Vinny, but in all likelihood part time football in the first division doesn’t the appeal to him
    Marco Tardelli's red and black,
    Red and black, red and black.
    Marco Tardelli's red and black,
    He hates Athlone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I would imagine a scaling back of the budget has surely to be a factor. Doyle, from what I know, is a full-time football man. Can the club afford to keep anyone full-time on the payroll when in the First Division? Attendances will be ~300 again and media coverage practically non-existent. Bringing someone in, who has a job outside of football, is possibly the way the club is looking. Someone like Collie O’Neill would fit that criteria and knows the division very well.

Doyle worked hard and is a great fella. Personally, I feel he stuck too rigidly to the lone striker tactic. Sligo away on Monday was typical for the season – playing decent football in the middle third but no end product combined with only one player to aim for (in Williams). Warfield under-used when we’ve been chasing games, as has often been the case. Sometimes you need that physicality ahead of trying always to be playing nice football.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    It will be interesting to see who will be in the hat for the town job. Considering his great job with Drogheda Utd as no 2 would Kevin Doherty consider it or will Gary Cronin go for it this time? The mind boggles.. I also think a great candidate would be Stephen Rice who I cant see leaving the ROI scout role.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'd prefer it to be a young manager on the way up anyway whoever they go for. If the powers that be feel that they need to go with a small budget so be it, they've managed that side of things well in difficult times.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Gary Cronin it is

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky77 View Post
    Shame to see Daire go; it’s unique that a manager can be bottom of the league with two wins all season yet have pretty much universal approval from fans. I hope he’ll go on to have a great career. I wondered what he meant when he said “we couldn’t agree on a way forward” - are we scaling back on the kind of budget he’s been used to?
    I wouldn't have said he was universally popular with the support base. He was certainly popular with the media team and that paints one picture but there were certainly some that were questioning selections and tactics during a sizable portion of the season where we hardly picked up any points at all.
    My own opinion is that it would have taken something special from whoever was in charge to have kept us up this season but outside those first two games we never looked like getting something special either.

I think Gary will be a safe appointment to suit what is likely to be a season of consolidation. I doubt there's an ambition to be going for promotion again just yet and i think this appointment reflects that 'understanding'.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Only thing that concerns me about GC appt is that he had numerous occasions to get Bray up and he didnt. Even Tony Cousins succeeded eventually. I just think its a safe appointment for now considering the circumstances we are in but wot happens if circumstances change as Im sure GC is ambitious himself and he outgrows us. I just think hes more of a coach than a manager imo.

The only plus with GC is that he seen the good days as a player,then bad days ,good days as a coach and bad days as a coach. I imagine also that he wont be as much on wages as DD?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorbothegreek View Post
    I think Gary will be a safe appointment to suit what is likely to be a season of consolidation. I doubt there's an ambition to be going for promotion again just yet and i think this appointment reflects that 'understanding'.
    Gary has done a good job with the resources available and the turnover in players, whatever happens from here..

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Agreed. He's already done all that can reasonably be expected of him given the budgets of those above us. Some ups and downs in terms of results and performances but that's what you get at our level.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.