• Callum Robinson v Luxembourg - 14th October

2 18.18%

Thread: 2021 Senior Men's Goal of the Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

2021 Senior Men's Goal of the Year

All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Interesting selection. Some nice goals in there, and some very ordinary ones too - I guess to be expected in international football where there's fewer games and goals. But deflections and goalkeeper errors shouldn't really be included unless there's a special reason for them.

So for me -

8 - Robinson A v Azerbaijan (second one). Meh. The keeper dives over it.
    7 - Robinson H v Qatar (first one). Nice one-touch play in the build-up, but in the end of the day it's the deflection that beats the keeper.
    6 - Parrott A v Andorra. Dodgy build-up where we got a bit lucky even keeping possession. Nice run and finish from the edge, but a the calibre of opposition is definitely a factor.
    5 - Egan A v Portugal. Lovely glancing header from a corner, but in the end of the day it's just a glancing header from a corner, and they're rarely Goal of the Year contenders.
    4.5 - I think I'd have Alan Browne's goal away against Serbia around here. The first inkling under Kenny that we could create something by playing football. Lovely dinked cross from Robinson and well steered home by Browne. Though in the end of the day, it's just a header from a cross.
    4 - Robinson A v Luxembourg. Knight's one-touch knock-back is lovely, but Luxembourg's defending is shocking.
    3 - Robinson H v Qatar. Lovely team goal, although 38 passes is a bit of a white lie. The first half of the move is us passing around our own half under no pressure from Qatar but still struggling to find any forward pass. It's only from pass 22 (to the number 22 jersey) that it becomes a real contender. I might have put it higher but Qatar just stood off us for pretty much the entire thing.
    2 - Robinson A v Qatar (first one). Takes it really early and gets a great angle on the shot. Really nice finish.
    1 - Ogbene A v Luxembourg. Much more impressive build-up than the Qatar goal - you can see the difference in pressing that Luxembourg applied, which forced us to play much quicker in bringing play forward. Got a bit lucky winning possession back, but could watch that backheel from Knight all day.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Thank god there is goals. Remember the year when there was no choice really!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I totally voted for the wrong one. Wanted to vote for the one where knight got the assist
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The Robinson goal v Qatar with 38 passes !!

We have gone through whole games with circa 38 passes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    One day left to get your vote in
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Interesting selection. Some nice goals in there, and some very ordinary ones too - I guess to be expected in international football where there's fewer games and goals. But deflections and goalkeeper errors shouldn't really be included unless there's a special reason for them.

So for me -

8 - Robinson A v Azerbaijan (second one). Meh. The keeper dives over it.
    7 - Robinson H v Qatar (first one). Nice one-touch play in the build-up, but in the end of the day it's the deflection that beats the keeper.
    6 - Parrott A v Andorra. Dodgy build-up where we got a bit lucky even keeping possession. Nice run and finish from the edge, but a the calibre of opposition is definitely a factor.
    5 - Egan A v Portugal. Lovely glancing header from a corner, but in the end of the day it's just a glancing header from a corner, and they're rarely Goal of the Year contenders.
    4.5 - I think I'd have Alan Browne's goal away against Serbia around here. The first inkling under Kenny that we could create something by playing football. Lovely dinked cross from Robinson and well steered home by Browne. Though in the end of the day, it's just a header from a cross.
    4 - Robinson A v Luxembourg. Knight's one-touch knock-back is lovely, but Luxembourg's defending is shocking.
    3 - Robinson H v Qatar. Lovely team goal, although 38 passes is a bit of a white lie. The first half of the move is us passing around our own half under no pressure from Qatar but still struggling to find any forward pass. It's only from pass 22 (to the number 22 jersey) that it becomes a real contender. I might have put it higher but Qatar just stood off us for pretty much the entire thing.
    2 - Robinson A v Qatar (first one). Takes it really early and gets a great angle on the shot. Really nice finish.
    1 - Ogbene A v Luxembourg. Much more impressive build-up than the Qatar goal - you can see the difference in pressing that Luxembourg applied, which forced us to play much quicker in bringing play forward. Got a bit lucky winning possession back, but could watch that backheel from Knight all day.
    This would be my top three as well. If you had ten passes less I'd probably rate the Qatar team goal higher because as you said there was 22 passes and one or two (?) of them was only into midfield.

No doubt it's still a good team goal but that finish from Robinson against Azerbaijan was fantastic, and it was on his weaker foot too would be my second choice when ranking them.

The Chiedozie goal was easily our goal of the year. As you said quicker play in the build up, Hendrick picking out Knights run, that back heel pass from Knight, and the Chiedozie finishing it off. Also makes it sweeter that Chiedozie is an ex Limerick player.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this tbh!

Looking at the Ogbene goal, I think that Knight backpass is easy to underestimate actually. It's an obvious pass from our panoramic view watching on the TV screens, but when you're on the pitch it requires much more vision to know what's happening out of your vision behind you.

(And also I've just noticed I put Robinson A v Qatar as second choice in error - he didn't score A v Qatar, and I meant A v Azerbaijan obviously)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    I've always been a bit sceptical of sweeper keepers, ever since Roger Milla robbed Rene Higuita, as well as playing through a press (particularly if the press is good and the defenders playing out are not great on the ground). I've also been a bit dismissive of Kelleher's ability on the ball and distribution as generally I feel it amounts to receiving the ball from one full-back and passing it on to the other one. But there is a moment in the 38-pass goal against Qatar where he does use this attribute quite cleverly - Hourihane plays the ball to Egan on the left and starts to move forward, cutting himself off from Egan - there doesn't appear to be anything in the channels for Egan to aim at and a Qatar forward is between him and Duffy, making a potential pass to him risky. Normally you would expect Kelleher to receive the ball in his penalty area, removing impetus from the movement. But he moves almost into the defensive line to receive the ball to his feet and passes on to Duffy, safely bypassing the Qatar forward and keeping the move going.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Parrott goal. But I liked Knight goal with horgan pass or McClean goal vs qatar more. From those. Parrott goal since he was very important got kenny out of gaol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Voting is closed

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    When do we get the result?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    It's at the top of the thread, or it is for me