Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Embarrassment of riches: who is Ireland's best goalkeeper?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Joe Hart is probably the other near example, being first choice at 19/20 when he was at Man City.
    Meslier as well, was a month or two younger than Bazunu is now in the 20/21 season when Leeds played their first season back in the top flight.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Bazunu is clear. Solid start to the season. Distribution continues to improve. Travers has been solid, just been unlucky with the overall team performances. He is clearly number 2. Let’s see what Caoimhin does, he is back training now according to Klopp, his biggest ambition this side of the January transfer window will be trying to wrestle that bench spot away from Adrian it seems. He is my number 3
    Kelleher was making noises about a possible loan before he got injured. I think demoting him to number 3 is a bit harsh. Performances for Ireland count for something in my calculation, and it seems as if Travers will now also be on extended bench duties understudying a much left talented number 1 than Allison.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The most likely thing to happen here is that one keeper will just end up kicking clear of the others and while the others will also have good careers and occasionally challenge for the first team spot, there's still going be a clear number 1 most of the time.

Similar to when Given won out over Kelly and Kiely after it had been up in the air for a while. This time Bazunu is likely to win out with Kelleher playing the Kelly role of capable backup and Travers filling the Kiely role of capable but frustrated third choice.

I don't think Bazunu is quite the youngest ever Premier League number 1, because I think Paul Gerrard was number 1 for Oldham at 19. But he's not far off it and that was a very different era in the league. So, while Kelleher and Travers are doing generally well, what Bazunu is doing at 20 sets him apart.
    Twitter turns out to be an unreliable source? Maybe the distinction is that Bazunu started the season as #1 while Gerrard was backup until midway through? Wrong regardless so thanks for the correction.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Twitter turns out to be an unreliable source? Maybe the distinction is that Bazunu started the season as #1 while Gerrard was backup until midway through? Wrong regardless so thanks for the correction.
    Pretty much, yes. There is a stat going around which is that Bazunu is the youngest keeper to start the first three league games of the season. I think it is correct, but only because a) Gerrard didn't play the first three games that year, but became first choice as the season went on and was 19 at the time and b) Meslier did play the first three in his debut EPL season two years ago, but the start of the season was delayed to September that year because of Covid. So Bazunu was a few days younger playing the first few games as a result making that particular stat correct.

But over the course of the season Gerrard and Meslier were both first choice and were both younger than Bazunu is so he's not really the youngest ever EPL first choice keeper.

Not trying to take anything away from him or anything, he's doing great, but I can see this being a thing where he's called the youngest first choice keeper forever more, when it's not actually true!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Yeah important to correct it internally before we go claiming it on the world stage....

Didn't realise Meslier was that young. Fare few youngins in the EPL goals these days. Come on Kelleher, go get yours lad.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314